• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Blood pressure

mrscinders

Iv been getting my blood pressure taken on a machine in my doctors and today's blood pressure was 158/90 does anyone know if it's high or really high and would you say I'd need medication as its been going on for weeks iv got an appointment with the nurse in the morning so she can check but the doctors receptionist seems to think its not high also if it stays like this do you think il still be allowed a gastric bypass x

Have your other readings been consistently around those numbers ? Or have they been higher or lower? That may be normal for you, but GP's usually like to take a minimum of three readings to establish low/high blood pressure.

If I were you I wouldn't take any notice of the receptionist as she's not really qualified on any capacity to comment. I'd wait and see what the nurse says tomorrow. Hope this helps :)

The last month they have been about the same 155/90 upwards but not past 160/90 yes I will wait until tommorow see what the nurse says thanks x

Hi

Yes it's a little high, the often quoted norm is 120/80 but there are many factors that effects what is normal, age being one of them, mine used to be about the same as yours and has been controlled with medication for a couple of years, although now I no longer take anything as it was getting too low, this morning mine was 90/66 but averages out at 110/70 most of the time, mind you I wince went to casualty for something and they took it at 220/200 and didnt bat an eyelid at that reading.

Paul

That's a very high reading Paul carnt believe they didn't do anything when they took that reading
Iv been to the doctors this morning the nurse took my blood pressure it was 140/90 she said that the electric machines they have in the reception area sometimes don't get a proper reading but she said that a new rule has come out and anyone's blood pressure over 130 needs to be seen by a doctor

so iv got an appointment for next Wednesday she said the other number 90 is high and she asked of I'd been having any headaches or blurred vision which I have had

so hopefully they will monitor my blood pressure just I'd heard that ya carnt have a gastric bypass if you have high blood pressure so hopefully mine will be ok c

I think someone else posted on here, they were told if the lower figure was over 90, they wouldn't operate.

Ok thanks for that need to try and get it down I'm dieting I'm not eating anything fatty or with salt just hope it gets sorted soon x

I suffer from high blood pressure. Your reading is high but its all taken into consideration that is you lose weight your bp will come down. I'm on meds but the Doctor says that eventually I will be off them. when I was admitted for my surgery my reading was similiar to yours. But knowing my bp history they made sure the gave my meds the morning of my op and still proceeded to do the gastric sleeve so I dont think it affects operating.

Thanks for that xx

My 2 weeks leading upto my op were anightmare due to preop nurse proceeded to take my blood pressure after not being very successful after taking bloods which my veins collapse from time to time, and thye never get it first time, my bp was high she said no surgeon would touch me with it like that sent me for heart trace that was normal. I had to go every 2 days and have my bp taken it was still high all 2 weeks i didnt know wether i would be allowed the op or not. The nurse at my surgery on the 1st day was lovely but off the next time so had nutha 1 she went and got the manual equipment it was high but lower than it had been she said my vein are very deep and thats why sometimes they struggle to get a reading. I went to her for the rest of the 2weeks and it cam edown a little and she said to ask to have it done manual at hospital. When I got there the day before my op worked to death wether op would go ahead or not i asked about having it done manual, the sister said they don't have any one trained to do it manual they have machines to do it. Well you can imagine, it was high, but she never said a word. Non eof them mentioned it again neither did the surgeon, i had worried my self sick before the bypass over nowt. xxdon't worry too muchxx

Thanks Hun x

When I went for my pre op I mine was high for the first time in my life (don't know how it hadn't been before at my weight but there you go) It was 170/100. The nurse said that it had to be lower than that to do the surgery so I've gone to my doctors and it was 130/85. Which is fine, maybe I just had an off day or maybe the doctors smaller cuff didn't take the reading right, I let the nurse know, and I'm going back for it to be checked again next week. Anyway if it is high again they will put me on medication to bring it down in time for surgery. I imagine that is what they will do for you too, if after 3 tests it still high. If you do have to take medication, from what I've heard that after wls surgery most people can come off the medication again. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that when checked by doctor/nurse it isn't high. Good luck :) x

Thank you and good luck to you also xx

Mrscinders, I believe it's what they call White coat syndrome! I'm Diabetic & on no drugs but no matter how often I have my bp taken at hospital it's always high....just nerves! I'm fine at the Drs but even after 25yrs of Diabetes I still get nervous when I go for check ups. you'll be fine, don't worry too much & yes it's true if the cuff doesn't fit it will give a false reading!! Good Luck x

Yeah bit raised but its not horrifically high. It may be, as babalon says, white coat syndrome. U should have 24hr bp monitoring arranged at ur gps to diagnose hypertension properly.

Xx

Thanks everyone x

Back