• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

body dysmorphia???

mermaid2708

new year...new me!x
i dont think my mind has caught up with my changing body...does anyone else have this??? i have lost quite a bit of weight in a relatively short space of time and although i know i am smaller (size 32 down to a 16/18) sometimes my brain does not seem to 'engage'...i avoid sitting in 'fixed' seating in cafe's as i think i wont fit, i automatically go to the 'fat' section in clothes shops, i still feel guilty eating in public etc...i would love to hear others experiences, it cant just be me...can it?????:D

Hi Mermaid,

I think I actually have reverse body dysmorphia as most of the time I think I look OK when I have got dressed in the morning - then catch a glimpse of myself in a full length mirror or a shop window and it floors me. I look horrendous but am in denial most of the time.

But to try to answer your question, I guess its true when they say it takes our brains a while to catch up with our bodies. We have been fat for so long and made allowances for that and I guess going to the fat section or choosing moveable chairs are just habits we need to break.

Congratulations on your fantastic weight loss to date hun. YOu are an inspiration.

Hi Mermaid
I think most people who are on a diet - where weight loss is really fast - feel like this - including lighterlife and cambridge etc., This is one of the reasons why some people start to put weight back on again - they believe they haven't changed and are the same - when in fact they are a lot smaller. It takes quite a long time for the brain to catch up. You have done amazingly well. You should be so proud of yourself.

Well done
Rosie x

Hi Mermaid,

I think I actually have reverse body dysmorphia as most of the time I think I look OK when I have got dressed in the morning - then catch a glimpse of myself in a full length mirror or a shop window and it floors me. I look horrendous but am in denial most of the time.

I can totally relate to that! I can be shocked several times a day at how huge I am! Although do avoid the fixed seating and other 'risky' situations. Hopefully my body will soon catch up to my head!

Lx

mind playing tricks

hello mermaid we have spoken before and have a very similar weightloss pathway if my memory serves me well we both had our surgury the same week or there abouts i had my surgury at taunton but i cannot remember if you had your surgury there but back to the question.yes i have gone from a 54;inch waist to a 36 a 5xl to a large/xl in that short time but in my mind i am still massive i still do not want to go out and be social i fear speaking to anyone i know as everyone seems to think that thay must have an opinion on my weight big or small so my problems are ongoing i have a little way to go yet.am i healthier ? without a doubt.am i happyier ? well i have a little way to go yet.

Yes when I go town I head straight for evans and the fat section at new look so as of yet I havent bought many new items lol

this a typical theme with losing large amounts of weight, i remember when i lost 10 stone about 7 years ago on WW, i did all these things, no walking between parked cars, not sitting in those fixed seating too, i think that physically losing the weight is the easiest bit, dealing psychologically with losing the weight is the hardest battle any of us will deal with, and it's like the ole phrase goes, ''OLD HABITS DIE HARD''

I think we spend that long trying to hide our fuller figures, that when we do have one to show we don't know how. I will always think of me as the "big one" in the group of skinnys because I've never known any different. I suppose its embedded in our brain and its going to be really hard to change how we think.

i think iv had this in past as i never see myself as i truely am hence why i hate looking at my old pics as i dont see myslef that big i look in mirror and see what i want to see always have kinda like the opposite of anorexia i look in the mirror and see a slim person lol

I dont possess a full mirror I know I look crap in everything I wear. Dont think even when I do lose it that I will buy one lol. I hate having my pic taken but Im determined to make that change ... least one thing will change lol

I don't have body dysmorphia, I have mental dysmorphia..I don't think I have grown up yet... I still wheelie on my bikes, behave like a loon, have burping competitions, think that farts are the funniest things in the world and actually TPT jnr (who is 24) tells me to grow up all the time!!!

I see the person inside not the bits on the outside - and the one on the inside is still a kid.

I don't have body dysmorphia, I have mental dysmorphia..I don't think I have grown up yet... I still wheelie on my bikes, behave like a loon, have burping competitions, think that farts are the funniest things in the world and actually TPT jnr (who is 24) tells me to grow up all the time!!!

I see the person inside not the bits on the outside - and the one on the inside is still a kid.

PMSL you'll be in heaven then when you've had your op and theres a belly full of gas to play with :p

PMSL you'll be in heaven then when you've had your op and theres a belly full of gas to play with :p

I know....I won't be able to stop laughing and will try to fart a tune...luckily I am not having any visitors..hubby is dropping me off outside when I go in and waiting outside when I am done - when I told him about the gas he said 'good luck to the nurses then....' :D:D:D

Once again it seems all these thoughts about ourselves come down to the old brain cells and how we actually see our bodies...For me as my journey begins and the weight loss starts following my recent op is the way I will handle the "hopefully" smaller me.In that over the years although digusted by my appearance in photo's,mirrors,shop windows etc, I accepted that was me....Now the new Mark is emerging I have to learn to accept him and all that he brings...Hope that makes sense?????????
M

damn wish I was going same day as you, it will be the shortest day ever. Nothing like a giggle to waste the hours away :D

Where are you having yours done? I am going to Manchester from 20 miles east of York! If you PM me with your size etc I can post you my slobby joe's I have bought for hosp - should be done with them by the time you go in?

Im hopefully off to Leeds Spire, i got my first appointment on the 30th July so we shall see.
as for your sloppy joes, they wont fit me lol im a size 28/30 *cringes* for them to be sloppy lol

Your lighter than me before we start so we got no hope, talk about body dismorphia eh ? nothing fits me short of duvet covers n curtaisn with the odd tent thrown in for a night out :p

pmsl , sad cow i am, but thanks for the offer lol

Im hopefully off to Leeds Spire, i got my first appointment on the 30th July so we shall see.
as for your sloppy joes, they wont fit me lol im a size 28/30 *cringes* for them to be sloppy lol

Your lighter than me before we start so we got no hope, talk about body dismorphia eh ? nothing fits me short of duvet covers n curtaisn with the odd tent thrown in for a night out :p

pmsl , sad cow i am, but thanks for the offer lol

You are welcome! I had better stop thread hijacking and will PM you :)

Back