• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What are your reasons for wanting/having WLS?

Lori1964

Here are a few of mine but I am sure I will think of a lot more..

1. To improve my health
2. To stop my knees hurting when coming down stairs
3. To stop getting out of breath so easily
4. So I can buy that little black number and look good in it xmas 2010
5. So I wont be ashamed to sunbathe on holiday
6. So I don’t feel I have to cover up when the weather is nice.
7. So that I can fit in the seats on the plane and the tray to be able to fold out flat and not to worry if the seat belt will fit
8. So that I can shop in “normal” shops
9. To be able to have the full range of clothes to choose from
10. So that I don’t just buy something because it fits but because it looks good.
11. Not to feel guilty eating something naughty in public thinking everyone is pointing to me
12. So that I don’t avoid getting my photo taken
13. So that I don’t make excuses to get out of social occasions
14. So that I have more energy
15.So that I can just start to enjoy life once again !

Goodness it is a long list!!:rolleyes:

Lorna x

I actually wrote about this on my blog a few days ago, here is what I wrote :)

- Less back pain. Less worries about my heart and diabetes.

- Energy.

- Not have to suck in my belly with great discomfort for seat belts in planes just because I would hate to ask for the extender - I haven't flown for over a year and know I would need one now.

- Not worrying about themeparks.

- Yup, I am also one of the heavily overweight people who wants to be able to cross her legs again. Not just that, but be able to comfortably sit with my thighs together.

- Confidence in general, being able to go out and like what I see in glass reflection of windows, not avoid looking around me, in case I see myself or other peoples reactions.

- Can't forget being able to buy and fit and wear knee high boots from anywhere. Be able to zip up or buckle up my beloved new rock boots with ease.

- No getting out of breath just running up the stairs.

- Shopping!

- Not worrying about sitting on plastic chairs, fibreglass etc.

- Stop avoiding family meetups, and stop wondering what they are thinking about me if they haven't seen me in a while.

- Like you, photos is a big one here too.

- When I go to bed, I want to be able to lay on my side without my belly laying beside me ;).

The same reasons as listed by Lorna, plus:
a. to spend less money on food (the amount i'm spending nowdays is a fraction of what i was spending just four months ago).
b. to stop getting bigger (i didnt want to continue putting on weight and make things worse than they were, i.e. never needed a belt extension on a plain, but i'm sure i was heading that way and would have needed one eventually)!!!

Here are a few of mine but I am sure I will think of a lot more..

1. To improve my health
2. To stop my knees hurting when coming down stairs
3. To stop getting out of breath so easily
4. So I can buy that little black number and look good in it xmas 2010
5. So I wont be ashamed to sunbathe on holiday
6. So I don’t feel I have to cover up when the weather is nice.
7. So that I can fit in the seats on the plane and the tray to be able to fold out flat and not to worry if the seat belt will fit
8. So that I can shop in “normal” shops
9. To be able to have the full range of clothes to choose from
10. So that I don’t just buy something because it fits but because it looks good.
11. Not to feel guilty eating something naughty in public thinking everyone is pointing to me
12. So that I don’t avoid getting my photo taken
13. So that I don’t make excuses to get out of social occasions
14. So that I have more energy
15.So that I can just start to enjoy life once again !

Goodness it is a long list!!:rolleyes:

Lorna x

Great list Lorna. My list would have been pretty similar but with the addition of being able to do things with my children without getting out of breath/suffering aches and pains.

Your 1,2,3,14 and 15 are true for me already and Im only 3 stones down so I cant imagine how good I will feel when I am another 3 down, and then another 3.

A lot of the reasons people have said above probably apply to me too, but something that really keeps me focused at the moment is CLOTHES!!! I want to be able to buy clothes that I actually love and not buy them just because they fit! That is what spurs me on to stick to this wretched milk diet. :D Shallow aren't I?!!!! :queen: ;):D

Cuppa xx

The greatest part for me is i can now run-around the park with my grandchildren

One thing I didn't think of before but which I love now is being able to sit on hubbys knee :) You know when you're at a do or something and there just aren't enough seats? Or in the evening if he's sat on the sofa and I fancy a cuddle lol. I could never have sat on him before, but now I do no probs (although at nearly 8 months pregnant I'm no lightweight lol). We were at a wedding in July and I ended up on his knee, and it was lovely cos I didn't feel like anyone was staring at us thinking poor guy!

Hi everyone, I totally agree with all you have written, I also would like to be able to play with/look after my grandchildren, and oh yes, get back to swimming (can't stand the stares when I go now) and horseriding, don't think there is a horse big enough at the moment to carry me :-(((

I want my feet to stop totally caining me.
I want to go for a walk without limping and shuffling like an old woman.
I want to be able to cross my right leg over my left, I can do left over right already (woohoo!)
I want to be light and fit enough to do voluntary work abroad
I want to just be able to 'be' instead of being encased in this flobby body.
I want to wear jeans and not look like a builder
I want to be able to bend in the middle

I want, I want, I want, I WANT TO BE ME AND NOT A FAT GIT

i didnt want to drop dead of a heart attack like my dad did at 55 and when his younger brother my uncle had a stroke 12 years later also aged 55 the little bit of doubt just disapeared and i went for the bypass the week later (2years of thinking about before).
i have felt for the last 4 years as i got really big that i was a Ticking bomb

didnt want to hear my heart beating in my head everytime We went for a work

Didnt want to be a fat bride (cancelled wedding last year)

future health

cheaper clothes lol

I just want to enjoy some invisibility. I don't want to be the fattest woman in the room.
The mothers at school don't mix with me, and I think my weight is the reason why. I have quite a lot of friends so I know I'm not anti social.
I get a lot of remarks from the general public, so to be able to sit in a restaurant without some men shouting out 'chips' would be nice. Or screaming something at me from a passing car.
Clothes too. I feel my spiritual home should be monsoon. I love the clothes there.
I want to take my daughter on a summer holiday. So I am not red faced and sweating and can fit on all rides at the theme parks.
Get rid of my chronic back pain. I eat pain killers and I am on the strongest doses of them.
I have definately lost ten years of my life carrying this load, so hopefully I can enjoy my journey through middle age.

to be able to walk properly without pain
to be able to kneel down without my kneecaps popping out
to be able to buy cloths like normal people do
to be able to wear boots from a highstreet store
my main reasons were so i could have another baby and not die befor im 40

GREAT post!

My reasons are much the same as the original list on this post:

1. To improve my general health and live longer.
2. To not have to make excuses to get out of social situations.
3. To enjoy walking and not dread it.
4. To not sweat, even in the middle of winter!!!
5. To be able to fit my calves into a pair of knee high boots.
6. To make Mark, my fiance, think "WOW" when we get married and he see's me in my wedding dress.
7. To hopefully NOT have a bigger wedding ring than Mark! lol

To be in better health for starters and that's the main one .
To look better and get fitter .
To be able to walk more an a few yards with out getting severe pain .
As being an oldie lol Id love to be able to go in an normal shop and buy some nice clothes . My daughter said I have to ditch the granny clothes and heres me thinking I dress ok . Take care .
Margaret xx

Back