• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

NHS - Private

charliegirl

Just been watching tv "get Dom on the case" he was talking about the NHS and stated that people who needed life dependant drugs for cancer etc were told they could not get them on the NHS, they could pay private for them but by doing this they would have to pay for all their NHS treatment to!!! I cannot believe this. I know there is a post on here about wanting to pay private for the operation and then have the NHS do the fills and they have refused and I thought that was a disgrace. I really understand that the NHS does not have a lot of money but surely its up to the powers that be to provide more money ensuring it goes to the right places. People may know I used to be a medical secretary and I know there is a lot of money wasted without a doubt but watching this programme I think its time people started to get tough and asked for an explanation as to where the money is going. One guy had to appeal three times and involve the media before his PCT agreed to fund his drugs to keep him a live. I understand that some people will think about throwing good money after someone who will only live a short while longer I understand that I am talking about the ones where it could make a real difference.

I was also disgusted to learn that if someone is in hospital and their family phone in to speak to them on the phone in their room they are charged a fortune to do so. Some were billed £170 for calling to speak to their mother to keep her spirits up etc.

Then to top it off WH smith shops in hospital charge extra for the same items - they said it was in line with their outlets at airports and train stations! Like going in hospital is the same as going on a trip away......

Rant over, I just think it stinks and we as the public need answers they are spending our money after all.....Second thoughts I think there is a panel members of the public can join to have their say, wondr if thats what it does or if they brain wash you.....will look in to it....Linda x

Have to agree with you Charlie, to be told that you are morbidly obese but not morbidly obese enough for an operation that will extend your life, improve your health and long term save the nhs money is nothing but a disgrace.
Its time for people to start speaking up and out loud so the powers that be realise we are not going to sit there and take their c**p, sign me up charlie I will come and shout at them with you :D

Thanks Caroline I am meeting a friend who still works for the NHS on thursday night I wil pick her brains and see what she can find out. Have to say the first thing I would introduce in the NHS is a clocking in system for clerical/admin staff because I strongly believe that money is wasted with staff coming and going and fiddling their flexi sheet I know because I saw it first hand and it was one of the many reasons I left the NHS....Linda x

I worked for local government for years, seen it first hand as well. Have to say that it was managers and senior staff that were the worst offenders.
What really really annoyed me was that I was in charge of making blue collar staff - dustbin men, sparkys, street sweepers, carers redundant, then in the next breath advertising for consultants to advise us how to be more cost effective - another round of redundancy should sort that out, was their usual response. I left ,I could no longer work for morons but it still goes on...

Back