• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

BOSPA Support groups Advice???

x Nee x

Hello everyone,

I am looking for some advice and information if possible.

Basically im now 28yrs old and had weight issues since my early teens, battling with different weight loss programmes and so on.

I remember watching a documentry around late 1998 ish about WLS and I enquired straight away with the NHS Direct. To be told I had to pay £8k or something around that lines, being 19ish that was no way an option.

2 years ago, I found a private clinic and tried to get a medical loan to possibly pay for WLS but was unable to get the loan approved. So as always I try numerous diets and lose a little then it stops.

Since 2003 I have managed to shift around 4 stone, but has been a major struggle and not consistent.

I have recently been using Xenical and although my loss initially wasnt too bad, again I have plataued and struggling yet again!

So, have come to the decision to seek advice on WLS again, and try to get referred through my GP, I have also been in touch with a BOSPA Support group and have been asked to go along to the next meeting (this sunday coming)

So any advice on how to help me from banging my head on a brick wall:banghead:?

Any advice on what happens in these support groups and what goes on?

Thanks xx

Didnt want to read and run. I have never been to a BOSPA support group but would be intrested to hear how you go on.
Get yourself to the gp and get things moving if you dont ask you will never know.
take care
carole

Hi,

Can't help with the BOSPA support group, as I've never been. Have you spoken to your GP about being referred for surgery through the NHS?

Have a look here http://www.minimins.com/wlsurgery/66792-nhs-funding-surgery-where-start.html for more info.

At my last doctors I did, and they laughed in my face :( but have moved now and the doc's are really friendly and very supportive, but not yet asked the dreaded question. Trying to get as much info behind me as possible but might nip in the docs tomorrow to try and arrange an appointment..

Thanks for the link too

Any other advice would be great xx

The best advice is to just research as much as possible so that you can show the doctors that this isn't just a one minute wonder idea. Other than that, just don't take no for an answer and be prepared to chase referrals and letters along the journey. It isn't always quick, but all PCTs are so different that the time frame varies hugely. It took me 22 months from seeing GP to having surgery, but others have been 2-3 months.

The criteria they have set, how definate is this as I think the PCT's for my area request that you have been with the same doctor for 3 years, this certainly isnt the case for me??

Hi Nee,

It says that you need to have been monitored by a GP for 3 years, it doesn't have to have been the same GP. So if you have spoken to your GP 3 years ago about weight loss, and have seen him/her in between about tablets, permission to do lighter life/cambridge, mentioned that you were doing slimming world etc, that would all count. To be eligible for surgery you have to have tried all other options, so that includes medication and 'community' based programs like slimming world etc. The 3 years thing in Bournemouth is just their way of getting your GP to evidence that.

I go to a BOSPA support group in Leeds and it's very helpful.
Everyone is welcome private, NHS, pre and post-op but most pre-op people have usually started their WLS journey with a referral in the pipeline from their GP.

Good luck with it Nee,hope it goes well for you. x

Update

hello all,

Thanks so much for all your replys, its so great to hear what everyone has to say, and reminds you that your not alone :)

I went into the Docs this afternoon, and booked an appointment for next tues, but they said If I call in the morning, they may be able to fit me in early evening tomorrow, so am planning on calling just incase I can be seen earlier...

Abit scared of what to say, but Im sure I will work it out.

Also, through reading many posts on this forum, I think I may have the sleep apnea. I have for the last 2 years been waking with a gasp and my boyfriend said that he has been awake and noticed Im not breathing for a couple of secs then I take a deep breath and carry on sleeping, snoring and doing my apparent amazing washing machine noise ;) . Although I knew this was happening, I didnt realise what it was, when I noticed this last night on the forums I was quite suprised and asked 'the boyf' if he had noticed me do it much recently, he reckons it has calmed abit but I do still do it, but not every night!!!

Definately worth getting tested then! Aside from helping with funding, it is important that it is known about prior to having an anaesthetic as it can make the op more dangerous otherwise. Good luck tonight, let us know how you get on!

Following Doctors appointment...

Well, managed to get into the doctors last night and didnt quite turn out as had hoped!

I will say though, he was really nice and sympathetic. Basically, I explained how i am feeling, what I have tried, what I think I am suffering with due to being overweight and my understanding and want of surgery.

He told me that he agrees surgery is the best option, and agrees I am severley overweight, but also that I am overweight but in general in good health ie -blood pressure is fine, not diabetic etc...

I ended up crying and saying I just dont know what else to do and the doc explained that I can copy the diet of someone who is on a gastric band but would have to be with major will power and obviously no operation involved.

It was so nice to see a doctor who generally seemed to be bothered and actually was quite encouraging as one of the last doctors I had seen in the past, laughed in my face when I queried surgery.

So not sure what to do next but I might try to get a better understanding on the food intake and vitamin supplements that someone who has had surgery and see if I can follow the route just without a reduced stomach :)

Sounds like a plan! Did you ask about the apnoea testing?

Sounds like a plan! Did you ask about the apnoea testing?

I did bring it up, but he questioned how often it was happening, and said, that although it is a problem its not enought to refer me :(

have to go now, but will be back on tonight to quiz you all hee hee xx

thats a shame, its one thing guaranteed to help you with funding!

thats a shame, its one thing guaranteed to help you with funding!

I agree, although it doesnt seem to be in my case :(

So who here has had the operation and is now following the new food routine?

If you can post here what your recommendations are on types and amounts of food and calorie advice and I can see what I might be heading towards.

ps I am aware of the small meals etc I have researched but not to the extent of facts following the op :)

Hey all,

Thanks for the links shellbell :)

Just to update you.

I have been trying to stick to around 400-700 cals so far am hovering around the 500 cal zone so am really pleased.

Can you tell me what kind of calorie intake you are having when you start eating larger amounts and what vitamins you have?

Back