• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

bypass or band

buglady

hi alison again asking questions!! i was just wondering on (i know the difference technically !)but why would i opt for a bypass or op for a band what difference long term will either be just not sure why would the dr reccommend the band or bypass is there a criteriea or just the type of person?? ps what is a dump its mentioned loads??!! i am new to this!!:)

I was banded for three and a half years and am now 2 and a half weeks post op with RNY bypass..

ill answer only from my experience...

Immediately Post op the band was easy peasy..
Immediately Post op bypass It wasn't pleasant! But my canular did fall out the morning after and there fore I had no more pain relief! Was three uncomfortable days! not agony just uncomfortable.

My appetite with the band was back two days post op... As of yet with my bypass not felt hungry and I'm still on a clear liquid diet.. it's boring!

Weight loss for me with the band I had none! period! band removed October 08

So far with my bypass
just under 2 weeks post op I had lost 19lb! I'm due to be weighed on Tuesday...

The band is purely restrictive so if you eat rubbish you will fully absorb. Rubbish tends to pass a band very easily even with very good restriction. So you will need will power to stay away from them Carb's and Sweets.

A band is designed to help you lose 50% excess weight. a Bypass 75% excess weight. if you are up on the heavier side of the Morbidly Obese scale or even super morbidly obese. losing just 50% excess weight will still leave you quite heavy and well away from that BMI of 25. BUT people do reach goal BMI there is no reason why you can't just statistically thats what they are designed to do.

With a bypass the pyloric valve is no longer used (thats prob spelt wrong) anyway the pyloric valve is like a trap door on your stomach that regulates food flow to your intestines. Because this part of the stomach is no longer in use there is no regulation of food. (the valve stays in tact with a DS) Anyway a result is that sweet sugary food can make you suffer dumping syndrome. this is sweating feeling sick dizzy faint not very pleasant. BUT! 1, not all bypass patients experience dumping syndrome. 2, If you have a sweet tooth is really like a little cattle prod reminding you that you can't eat that a very good deterrent ! There when maybe your will power isn't

With a band you don't malabsorb food like you do with a bypass. with a band you need fill's to adjust restriction. With a band weight loss is generally slower. There is no written number of fills you will need every one is different. with a bypass you will need to take vitamins every day and have regular blood checks .

Two very different operations do as much research as poss on both scores.

Last edited:
I was banded for three and a half years and am now 2 and a half weeks post op with RNY bypass..

ill answer only from my experience...

Immediately Post op the band was easy peasy..
Immediately Post op bypass It wasn't pleasant! But my canular did fall out the morning after and there fore I had no more pain relief! Was three uncomfortable days! not agony just uncomfortable.

My appetite with the band was back two days post op... As of yet with my bypass not felt hungry and I'm still on a clear liquid diet.. it's boring!

Weight loss for me with the band I had none! period! band removed October 08

So far with my bypass
just under 2 weeks post op I had lost 19lb! I'm due to be weighed on Tuesday...

The band is purely restrictive so if you eat rubbish you will fully absorb. Rubbish tends to pass a band very easily even with very good restriction. So you will need will power to stay away from them Carb's and Sweets.

A band is designed to help you lose 50% excess weight. a Bypass 75% excess weight. if you are up on the heavier side of the Morbidly Obese scale or even super morbidly obese. losing just 50% excess weight will still leave you quite heavy and well away from that BMI of 25. BUT people do reach goal BMI there is no reason why you can't just statistically thats what they are designed to do.

With a bypass the pyloric valve is no longer used (thats prob spelt wrong) anyway the pyloric valve is like a trap door on your stomach that regulates food flow to your intestines. Because this part of the stomach is no longer in use there is no regulation of food. (the valve stays in tact with a DS) Anyway a result is that sweet sugary food can make you suffer dumping syndrome. this is sweating feeling sick dizzy faint not very pleasant. BUT! 1, not all bypass patients experience dumping syndrome. 2, If you have a sweet tooth is really like a little cattle prod reminding you that you can't eat that a very good deterrent ! There when maybe your will power isn't

With a band you don't malabsorb food like you do with a bypass. with a band you need fill's to adjust restriction. With a band weight loss is generally slower. There is no written number of fills you will need every one is different. with a bypass you will need to take vitamins every day and have regular blood checks .

Two very different operations do as much research as poss on both scores.

great post alexa

Pylorus - a small circular opening between the stomach and the duodenum

Great post Alexa, an opinion from both sides and having done both now makes yours a unique situation !

fantastic post alexa and very balanced.
heres to a what sounds like a long awaited sucessful weight loss.
hc

Back