• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bypass or Band

sweetquietjox

Which do u think is best? Band or Bypass:party0038:
I wanted the band but the doctor told me the are more complication with the band and he put me forward for bypass or a sleeve, depending what he find when he get inside me.
Would appreciate your comments.:);):newbie:

cazbandy

Bring on the Trumpets!
Hi there and Welcome :)

The decision ultimately should be yours and matched to your eating habits.

If you are a big portion eater but not sweet toothed a band can work very well but if you have a sweet tooth a bypass can be a better option as most people who have a bypass cannot tolerate sugar or fat too well after and this acts as a deterrent.

Weightloss is faster with a bypass but the long term research over a five year period points to similar long term results.

A bypass is a one stop op the band needs adjusting but to be honest there risk of complications from all weight loss surgeries.

You have to decide what you think will work best for you and also listen to advice of surgeon.

sweetquietjox

Wow, thanks for your advice. will give it some serious thought.

BlueDiamond

I agree wiv caz 100% and welcome too the forum xx

j.u.s.t.l.i.z.

Runs Srh Support Group
ive had both operations so i will speak from how i personally feel about both, i was originally banded in 2005, re banded in 2008 due to the band wearing out, i was a volume eater rather than a snacker, and prefered savoury foods to sweet, so banding suited my needs perfectly, but as it has been mentioned complications can occur and these are becoming more and more common, i did really well with my bands and i lost a total of nearly 9 stone with them but there was alot of band ajustments vomiting ect and getting fill levels/restrictions correct, this can take alot time to achieve partly by the fill providor and also by the patient learning to listen to what there bodys are saying and learning to use restriction correctly.

My 2nd band was removed only 19 days ago as it was damaged during a plastics op and i was converted to a bypass on Nov 5th this year, as i wanted the finality a bypass would bring me.
its very different from banding and im still at the learning stage as its very early days, i havent had discomfort from foods that i sometimes had with a band and ive never been sick, i actually feel "normal" as i did before i was ever banded before my 1st band in 2005, in all honesty even though this is new for me and i was a very experienced bander, the bypass is so much easier to deal with and live with on a day to day basis, you need to do lots of research and see which procedure will suit your life style and eating habits best, good luck with what ever you decide. xxx

phatmomma

I'm agreeing with Caz's advice about listening to the advice of your surgeon but also with Liz's point of view as a duel wls patient....

Research is the key! Weight loss isn't necessary always fast with the bypass, it has taken me just over 5 months to lose 4 stone, which is not fast for a bypasser... However, i have only been sick a couple of times and have learned to listen to my body. I enjoy food as much now as i did pre op, which is not something every wls patient can say hand on heart... My body shape has changed amazingly and i am fitter than i have been in 23 years.....

You could offer me a fortune to turn back the clock and i'd take it, and walk straight to my surgeon and pay the money to have it done all over again :) I love my bypass and my bypass loves me :) :)

Grace

I won't add to the great advice...but welcome to the forum.
Grace xxx