• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band V Bypass

helen144

Why would the bypass be offered over the band, did anyone go to see surgeon with idea of which they wanted but they were recommended differently and why the Dr chose that method for you. Just curious as I originally wanted a gastric band but I now wish to have a bypass as I think this would benefit me more, but obviously I will have to go off what the dr recommends when I get to see one that is!!!!

I went to my appointment with the idea of having the band but two things changed the outcome:

1) I have had previous abdominal surgery (a para-umbilical hernia repair, Caesarian deliveries & salpingectomies) so my surgeon will not perform laparoscopic surgery on an abdomen that quite frankly resemples the Mappa Mundi :(

2) The band can be cheated; especially if one is a 'cruiser' eater. For my eating style, I was advised a RNYGB would be the better option.

Last edited:
I started out thinking I wanted the band but after reading posts on here and doing some research I was leaning towards the bypass. When I saw the consultant I never mentioned what I wanted as was still undecided at that stage he said he could not decide which would suit be better and then referred me to the surgeon for his advice. By then I knew for sure I wanted the bypass and the surgeon asked what I wanted and then agreed as I was a snacker it would suit be best. How and what you eat is taken into account, I think if you eat lots of high sweet foods the bypass is better asit makes you dump etc...the consultant did say to be that he hated it when people had the band then returned to him saying they wished it had been the bypass so it needs careful consideration and obviously advice from the people that know...xx

I was initially looking at the band, as I was a high risk for surgery so i figured the simpler the better, but after researching both I was put off by the higher complication rate with the band. My surgeon and I discussed my eating habits and agreed the bypass was best for me.

It is hard to give advice on this subject, it is so important and kind of a personal choice of weighing the process/ outcome/ risk factors etc. Most people, once they decided can't see why someone would choose the other option.

Do you get what I mean? Most of those who have replied are bypassers (I am) and have much to say about their wls. It might be smart to approach some of the many happy banders on here and ask why they went with the band. That way you will see both sides more clearly.

Personally, I know that the bypass is for me, and I knew it long before I saw the surgeon so I was sure when he asked which procedeure I was after. Think long and hard because you should be sure in your own mind which one you want and why. That is just my input.

Good luck and whatever you go with, there will be tons of support for you here!:)

i personally chose the band, as i was a volume eater rather than a sweet food eater, i liked big meals, the band is perfect for volume eaters that hasnt got to much of a sweet tooth, i can have now pretty much have what foods i used to b4 on my meals just smaller portions, the band isnt much good to people with a sweet tooth as it allows sugary foods through such as choc, cakes ice cream ect, alot of will power is needed with these types of foods with a band, i also chose a band as it is a reversible proceedure if required.

i wish you luck in your choice as it has to be right for you.

liz x

I was thinking about having the band at first as it is a much simpler opperation and can be reversed/taken out. But after reading posts on here and doing reaserch on the net (google!), i found out that you can 'cheat' on the band- it is possible to eat too much etc. I am a comfort eater so if there is an option where i can cheat it is no good for me!!

The bypass is a more complicated operation as it is totally changing the insides of your tummy to the size of an egg- this operation can not be reversed. You start off on a liquid diet, then pureed food building up to solids (like a baby!).
You will feel full up after eating a very very small amount and you will need to take vitamin supplements for life.

You need to weigh up the pro's and cons of each and how it is going to effect you personally and which one you think is the best one for you- because you are the person that knows yourself the best. Noone else can make this decision for you. Write a list on a bit of paper- pro's and cons of one, it is sometimes easier to wrie things down and look at them.
Good luck with whatever you decide!! ;)

Xxx Lizzie xxX

yes the band can be cheated if the wrong types of food are eaten but its been known for bypassers to also regain weight if they eat the wrong types of food also, and with both ops there is a risk of the pouch stretching over time if the quantity of food on meals are to large.

Went in expecting band, was told straight away that due to my high BMI (49) that it would be a far better idea to have the bypass, as i would lose weight quicker and have less complications, resulting in BMI coming down faster. I was however, on seeing the surgeon, given the choice, but he did recommend bypass. I had open surgery, because that's what my surgeon prefers.

I went seeking help with my weight expecting to do lipotrim and got told that the only thing that he would recomend for me because of my BMI 60 was a bypass as that would be the quickest and safest thing for me. 3 weeks on including pre op and 20 lbs down no regrets. would do it all again tomorrow.

I went to my appointment with the idea of having the band but two things changed the outcome:

1) I have had previous abdominal surgery (a para-umbilical hernia repair, Caesarian deliveries & salpingectomies) so my surgeon will not perform laparoscopic surgery on an abdomen that quite frankly resemples the Mappa Mundi :(

2) The band can be cheated; especially if one is a 'cruiser' eater. For my eating style, I was advised a RNYGB would be the better option.
Hi Brunetteandred, i have an appointment next month for the band but after reading your thread about c.sections, of which i have had three. Does this change the type of surgery given???

i had an op previous to looking in to wls i had a 7 inch scar across my tummy. they worked around the old scar tissues.

i have a massive scar running from the centre of my chest to my right hip from having my gallbladder removed and adhesions freed from my appendoectomy. I was still able to have keyhole with no problems

Hi Brunetteandred, i have an appointment next month for the band but after reading your thread about c.sections, of which i have had three. Does this change the type of surgery given???

It may well depend upon your surgeon. Mr. Khan at Walsall Manor won't do keyhole if there is abdominal scar tissue present.

Hi i initially was referred for the band but on meeting with the surgeon and discussing my eating habits, health problems and expectations of weight loss surgery he recommended the bypass.

i had the bypass doen 6 months ago and it has given me a new lease of life. a real positive experience x

hi, had the band three years ago and I discused the options, at this moment in time i would have the bypass, if i could go back in time but this may be because i have not had any aftercare or conversations with others who have been thru this experience. You seem to be well into this forum, could you tell me how to make a new thread, im not very good with all this :)

oh now i am getting confused, i think i want a band the hospital dr suggested this to me as it is the least invasive and when i saw my own dr and asked for band he agreed it was a good idea and has asked for the funding. my bmi is 47 (i think) so would the surgeon say i should have a bypass? on researching i have found that the bypass gives very good results really quick, whereas the band takes more time? i think because the bypass is irreversible it frightens me a little,

Back