• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

bypass or sleeve??

MrsSAFC

oooo I have been reading about both (bypass and sleeve) and dont really know which one is better? or is it 6 and half a dozen?

i have been adamant about the bypass but now the sleeve has crossed my mind...

argh!!!! decisions!!!

anyone???

hmmmm well i may be biased as ive just got my sleeve, the thing is the sleeve is the first part of the bypass, so if it didnt work then they can do the second half hey, i saw dr small today also with a sleeve you dont need a endoscopy as he can still see the top of the stomach eeek good luck in your decision xx

There is no simple answer to which is 'better'

It all depends on what you eat and what willpower you have. Both need a significant effort from yourself

thats mint news kelly/cherry well done!!! bet you chufty!?

thanks x i might ask the doc what he recommends!?

so you on the list then? is it 18/26 weeks?

xxxx

he said upto 6 months x

I could be biassed and say the bypass but as mixxy said, it depends on your eating habits, I was a massive chocoholic and ate all day every day, I needed a fool proof way of loosing my weight and for me the bypass was it.x

Tough decision...one i'm still making after seeing consultant last week...i'm erring towards the sleeve but risks etc for are the same with either!

It depends on your eating habits, and you need to be frank about them.
The sleeve is a 'safer' op than a bypass, but with every operation there is a risk. The sleeve is originally done on very large people for them to lose enough weight to have the bypass, but the results were so amazing that a second operation wasnt needed in most cases.

Good luck with your choice, just make sure you are honest with yourself. xxxx

im a total foody..... sometimes i dont have time to eat during the day so end up binging on the night.... love diet coke and love chocolate - could eat it every day!

i think im sticking with bypass.... i wouldnt want to go through another op after sleeve when i can get it all done in a oner.... i will speak to doc at endoscopy appot

thanks guys and gals

xxx

I would tell your surgeon your eating habits as honestly as you can and let him guide you :D I had bypass firmly in mind but before I could say it he advised bypass for me anyway....win win for me ;) XX

hi Mixman,
I am on the waiting list to have a gastric bypass in Jan.
You have been an inspiration, with your weight loss and commitment to exercise.
Can I ask what a typical days food is like for you.
I am confused about some diets post op becuz they still sound like junk food only with artificial sweetner.
I may be misinformed but I thought the idea after surgery is to start eating whole foods, with as little artificial anythings as possible.
what was your dieticians advice?

Last edited:
hi Mixman,
I am on the waiting list to have a gastric bypass in Jan.
You have been an inspiration, with your weight loss and commitment to exercise.
Can I ask what a typical days food is like for you.
I am confused about some diets post op becuz they still sound like junk food only with artificial sweetner.
I may be misinformed but I

But I.... what? You leaving me in suspense :D

Post op it's all essentially what you make it. I would say that I have a 'normal' healthy, low fat low sugar diet.

A typical day (If I was being good) would be something like cereal or cheese toasty for breakfast, lunch would be a jacket potato with cheese or prawn cocktail, dinner would be a soup or stew or cheese toastie.

Between, if I wanted to snack, it would be on snack-a-jacks or fruit and also depending if I was training or not I would be taking more cereal bars/protein bars and a protein drink sometime with a recovery drink after training.

Now the truth is that my tastes for food has changed. It's very hard for me to get a varied diet as I just do not like food these days in the sense of actually WANTING food. Meats are generally undesirable now. I will eat them in stews or curries but I don't crave for it as I used to.

I've developed a bad bad habit of not having proper meals this past couple of weeks. I'm liking crisps a lot. It's a habit I know I need to get out of. I seem to have a couple of bags of crisps and not have a proper meal! Yes I know it's bad but it's just a phase I am going through. I hope anyway!

mixxy on what portion size are these meals on? :) just wndering

2 slices of cheese on toast is difficult to finish, I still am learning how not to over fill myself.

Jacket potato is no skin and cheese. Just a regular size one.

One of these is a very good filling meal for me sometimes with a slice of wholemeal bread dipped in. If I do have a slice of bread I don't finish the soup.

heinz-taste-of-home-soup-beef-stew-and-dumplings.jpg

can you eat the skin of potatoe if you want? x

haaaa oo mixxy something ive always struggled with if you havent noticed :)

hey mixman
im ok on food question
thanks
so here's more...

now the exercise, when did that start?
was it a physical or mental desire to get your body moving? or did your brain change?

now the exercise, when did that start?
was it a physical or mental desire to get your body moving? or did your brain change?

Started walking a few miles when I could. Started riding the bike in January when I was 21stone. So lost 11 stone in the 6 months and wanted to keep the weight coming off.

So mentally, I wanted to exercise, physically I wasn't able to. But that soon changed fairly quickly. In a couple of months I could easily do 20 miles and the weight was coming off quickly still.

I used to be one of those people that thought that the runners/swimmers/cyclists must be a bit weird or very special to want to exercise, now, I've joined the ranks and feel like a caged animal if I can't get to do exercise of some sort when I want to!

Back