• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

bypass or sleeve?

k4rid4

bypass or sleeve whats the difrence weightloss wise and do u have to be super large for a sleeve?

Hiya, I was told I wasn't big enough for the bypass so I had the sleeve. I had mine done private though so I don't know if the NHS have a different policy.
I have lost 20kg since the 20th September, it was the best decision I have ever made! :)

woah thats alot... i thought sleeve was for larger women.. hmmmmm not smaller

Ive been recomended for sleeve with 8 stone to lose due to M.E. and fibromyalgia they said it would be easier for me to manage.

ps I think it depends on your eating habits also.

Not according to my surgeon. How much weight do you have to lose? I had 7 stone in total to lose (4 left to lose now!) :)

hmmmm id say 9st coz im a short ass so i guess im ment to be one of those skinny little tiny rats lol..

I looked into both. My gp said it depends on your eating habits. Also bypass has problems with malabsorbtion. Also told sleeve can be converted later to bypass not other way.so went for sleeve so I would have a plan n just in case

I chose the sleeve as there is no malabsorbtion, and the part of the stomach they remove produces the hunger hormone ghrelin. I think if you are very large they bypass is better, but if its just 10st and under the sleeve will suffice, ive lost 6st 8lb since the end of May and am loving it. I can still eat what i want, but physically cant eat a lot. Its a very personal choice, good luck with whatever you choose :) xxx

I had my appointment with the surgeon yesterday, and we agreed on the sleeve for me, as i dont have diabetes and because of my age (34) The bypass helps deal with the diabetes but it also needs the most follow up carem and taking suppliments for the rest of your life. The sleeve has a better recovery time, less after care and you dont have to take suppliments. Im sure there are more reasons but thats what my surgeon said. Hope that helps?

Hi all, I personally will have the bypass, because I have diabetes, and because I feel more comfortable with that solution. I know they used to decide which operation you are supposed to have depending on your BMI, but I heard that the NHS is moving away from that, as they want you to choose what you feel most comfortable with, although of course medical issues can play apart.

hmmmm ye well they didn't really make me choose anything today, he just asked what i knew and i told him all the info i had. i asked about sleeve, he said its just easier, after care wise but it doesn't bother me taking vitamins everyday as i take tablets now anyway.. hmmmm he also sed that bypass processes the food a lot quicker and doesn't absorb all the fat as much.... im still clueless which is best. the tablets u take after op, are they just plain vitamins?

I just take Centrum multivitamins everyday. You can take Boot's own brand ones too so long as they are multivitamins.

Whatever you end up choosing im sure you will be happy with. I kept changing my mind for months but ended up choosing the sleeve. They both work really well if you follow the rules, if you dont you will gain the weight back.

Kim

Karida, maybe make a list of the pros and cons of each and decide on what is more important to you. If you are prepared to work hard you can be successful with either, and both will require hard work.

Our team said the biggest difference was the expected extra weight loss, band 50-60% sleeve 60-70% bypass 70-80%. These are of course the averages and a lot of people lost 100% with any of them. I had a bypass because of my diabetes (lost over 100% of my extra weight) but wanted a sleeve. If I had to do it again I would choose the bypass. Yes I have to take good quality vitamins but that is surely a very small price to pay. The malabsortion lessens after time too, it only lasts about a year, hence the reason it's called the golden year. The body learns to keep food in the intestine longer to absorb more cals and vits etc. That's how the body stops losing weight. Good luck with whatever you decide. x

I hear from bypass patients how they can't have sugar or fat in any form afterwards or they dump. That's a very mixed blessing, surely.

I love that I dump Ruthie. I never ever dump by choice ( I know some who will eat something despite knowing it will make them ill). If I dump its because I haven't checked the packet or because an ingredient I'm using doesn't suit my new plumbing - either way its another incentive to keep the treats small and rare. But agree that for others its not as straight forward.

Hi During my gastroscopy they found a hernia so I am due to go down to surgery and then they will do EITHER a bypass or sleeve - I had wanted a sleeve but think a bypass may stop any temption. As it is I will know when I wake up :) I called Sunderland and it will be Feb or March for the op.
Best of luck with whatever we decide.

I think it depends on eating habbits. I'm down for Bypass and because I would go all day without food and have a ton of crisps later in replace of all my meals its considered a "binge" so they said bypass would be better. Surgeon also said that having the sleeve and then later having a bypass because not enough weight is lost has greater risk so bypass from the get go was a better option.

Back