• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bypass Patient on Biggest Loser USA - Weight gain anyone?

Fuffs

Shrinking Big Brummie
Hi

I am watching Biggest Loser USA and one of the contestnats had a gastric bypass when she was 14.

I am not sure what her age is now. But she is very overweight. The show doctor said to her that the bypass makes you lose lean muscle tissue. So when you gain back weight (trying to cut that thought out of my mind lol) you gain all fat and no muscle. So you end up with a hangier, bigger stomach.

The doctor said the loss of muscle is something that Bariatric surgeons don't want to talk about. I would think it is obvious there would be some with rapid weight loss. But there you go.

I was wondering if anyone else has had major weight gain since losing weight after a bypass? And if so, was the at distribution worse afterwards?

Do you think the ladies major weight gain is because she had the op done as a 14 year old while she is still developing?

I can't lie, it disturbed me a little bit.

Maybe she was too young to maximise it as a tool and her parents did not understand the tool. I don't know :confused:

I haven't watched it but with any regain you will usually regain fat rather than muscle. Also although you will lose some muscle mass, a protein rich diet should help you replace it while you don't replace the fat.

I suspect at 14, she probably didn't have the maturity to understand the requirements of the surgery, not to mention that aftercare has improved loads.

Lastly, 30% of patients will regain, and of these 10% will have done nothing wrong.

I haven't watched it but with any regain you will usually regain fat rather than muscle. Also although you will lose some muscle mass, a protein rich diet should help you replace it while you don't replace the fat.

I suspect at 14, she probably didn't have the maturity to understand the requirements of the surgery, not to mention that aftercare has improved loads.

Lastly, 30% of patients will regain, and of these 10% will have done nothing wrong.

Wow, I didn't realise that! Thanks Yve.

And I forgot about the protein first, which is for the muscle mass.

I agree that her maturity was the problem. The Doctor also asked her about aftercare and she said she didn't get any. He said her doctor just took her money basically and he was annoyed that at 4, she was not made to try healthy eating first. Bad times :(

i saw a super morbidly obese man one one of these american shows that was eating himself to death, he also had had a bypass xxx

i saw a super morbidly obese man one one of these american shows that was eating himself to death, he also had had a bypass xxx

Oh yeah!!! I saw one of Supersize Vs Super skinny when they went to America. They even had to put a band on his bypass. But he was still eating calorific and high fat slider foods:sigh:. I was horrified!:eek:

Oh yeah!!! I saw one of Supersize Vs Super skinny when they went to America. They even had to put a band on his bypass. But he was still eating calorific and high fat slider foods:sigh:. I was horrified!:eek:
i guess thats what happens if you cant sort your head out :( xxx

That she was given such a major surgery before she was an adult is terrible! I definitely think you can be too young physically but also emotionally and she obviously received next to no aftercare. Wls requires a change in your eating habits and behaviour but if you're too young I don't see how you can grasp that?!?

Poor girl - I hope she's able to make a permanent change this time x

Wow, I didn't realise that! Thanks Yve.

And I forgot about the protein first, which is for the muscle mass.

I agree that her maturity was the problem. The Doctor also asked her about aftercare and she said she didn't get any. He said her doctor just took her money basically and he was annoyed that at 4, she was not made to try healthy eating first. Bad times :(
I agree; its not somethings surgeons really want to talk about. But I have been reading a lot of medical journals to try and get my head around sleeve or bypass. They also say that even if you regain, only 3.1 percent of people who've had a bypass get their comorbidities back. However, lots of journals are mentioning vitamin deficiencys 5 to 10 years down the line.

I know the eating habits is on me, and that's fine, but it will destroy me if I do all the right things and still put it back on again.

That she was given such a major surgery before she was an adult is terrible! I definitely think you can be too young physically but also emotionally and she obviously received next to no aftercare. Wls requires a change in your eating habits and behaviour but if you're too young I don't see how you can grasp that?!?

Poor girl - I hope she's able to make a permanent change this time x
I can't understand how they could justify a bypass - a band i could understand as it may have helped her to develop good eating habits and she could eventually have it removed if necessary. A bypass in children is just irresponsible.

I still don't understand how you can get to the same weight after surgery! I can't eat anywhere near what I was able to eat before. Also I feel full for quite a long time. I ate 2 hours ago and couldn't fit another bite in! I struggle to get 900 cals in!

Froom everything I have read I understand the danger zone starts around 6 months.

At this point your body readjusts so you cannot rely on malabsorption. Your appetite returns. You can eat pretty much everything and in only slightly smaller than normal quantities.

A lot of self help books suggest that this is actually a fifth stage of your post op eating plan and that you will have to make new adjustments to ensure continued weight loss. Also at around 3-5 years is another danger zone.

Lastly, although the size of the pouch does not change beyond what is expected (despite scare stories) the intestine below the pouch can and you can get extra space (as it were) in there!

i guess thats what happens if you cant sort your head out :( xxx

Froom everything I have read I understand the danger zone starts around 6 months.

At this point your body readjusts so you cannot rely on malabsorption. Your appetite returns. You can eat pretty much everything and in only slightly smaller than normal quantities.

A lot of self help books suggest that this is actually a fifth stage of your post op eating plan and that you will have to make new adjustments to ensure continued weight loss. Also at around 3-5 years is another danger zone.

Lastly, although the size of the pouch does not change beyond what is expected (despite scare stories) the intestine below the pouch can and you can get extra space (as it were) in there!

Wow Yve, you really have done some serious research! Thank you for explaining. I like to understand this lifelong tool I am opting into. What I realise now is it is even MORE of just a tool that I ever even realised :sigh: Got to try and get and keep my willpower and healthy eating mojo back:break_diet:. I don't want to do this and fail. Otherwise, I may aswell leave my insides intact :cry:

All this scares the pants off me, I just want to get healthy and stay like it x

Scares me too chick. Sorry if this thread has upset anyone. Who was just sitting watching the TV and needed to ask someone. It scares the hell out of me to think I could sabotage and get this big again. I need to start doing even more research to get to grips with my tool (well for when I have it that is)

I was going to ask this....is there a point at which sleeve patients also have a high risk of regaining even if they do nothing wrong? Or is it only if they stretch their pouch by shoving too much food into it?

I was going to ask this....is there a point at which sleeve patients also have a high risk of regaining even if they do nothing wrong? Or is it only if they stretch their pouch by shoving too much food into it?

I am now guessing that if it can happen with the bypass, it can happen with other forms of WLS. Especially if people sabotage with slider foods and other melted down weight gain monster foods.

That is where the risk comes in for a sleeve in my opinion. If you want to over indulge then you can and the stomach can stretch so there's always the risk of re-gaining if you don't keep yourself in check. For me personally I want to change my behaviour and feel the sleeve will make sure I continue to do that long-term - as I know the consequences.

I don't want to be back here again in 5-10 years time saying I'm having another op because I went back to my old ways x

That is where the risk comes in for a sleeve in my opinion. If you want to over indulge then you can and the stomach can stretch so there's always the risk of re-gaining if you don't keep yourself in check. For me personally I want to change my behaviour and feel the sleeve will make sure I continue to do that long-term - as I know the consequences.

I don't want to be back here again in 5-10 years time saying I'm having another op because I went back to my old ways x

I hear ya chick!

I also watch it and my heart went out to that poor girl. But I am still not sure exactly what surgery she had because he kept saying a vertical bypass band... so confused.... but in any case 14 was way too young for drastic surgery

I saw a programme not that long ago about a 14 year old (in America) that had a gastric bypass. Her first meal at home from her mother was liquidised KFC!!! :eek:

Back