• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bypass Patient on Biggest Loser USA - Weight gain anyone?

I am so sorry if I have scared anyone. I spent a lot of time doing research because I believe if I am going to make the best of my wls I need to thoroughly understand it.

WLS works. From everything I have read, for 60 percent of people it works. Without regain, without deficiency etc.

Providers know how to maximise it. Good providers stay in touch and give you advice on how to maximise your weight loss and maintenance.

Even after everything I have read I am convinced that WLS is the only thing that can help me now. I know my eating patterns will not fit the band.

On sleeve vs bypass, the initial results are similar, although with no malabsorption many people need a later conversion to a bypass. This is safer, however than initially having the bypass on patients with a BMI of 60+ (like me).

The data on sleeving is much less as it is a newer surgery. However, there are two things that attract me to the sleeve. The first is that the pyloric valve remains intact which means a) no dumping and b) regain is actually less likely because the body handles sugars better. The second is no deficiencies.

However, I recognise that I have a BMI of 60+ and that it is unlikely I will hit ideal weight loss with a sleeve. So that is why I am torn.

Again, really sorry if I have scared everyone - I do honestly still believe that WLS is the best thing for many of us in this situation.

I also watch it and my heart went out to that poor girl. But I am still not sure exactly what surgery she had because he kept saying a vertical bypass band... so confused.... but in any case 14 was way too young for drastic surgery
When I was looking into success stories after 10+ years, one of the things I realised was that WLS was drastically different. One procedure involved stapling the stomach and then putting a vertical band around it. No idea why. maybe this is what she meant?

Maybe. Thanks for all that xx

:) Yve, don't apologise for providing us all with more information from your research ;). Information equips us with the necessary tools to make our decision as to what wls we feel will suit us best. This can only be a good thing! :)

:) Yve, don't apologise for providing us all with more information from your research ;). Information equips us with the necessary tools to make our decision as to what wls we feel will suit us best. This can only be a good thing! :)

Thanks hun. However, as always I have only posted the bad things I have found out! Such is the nature of man... There are positive stories out there.

I don't know how people regain! You'd have to eat all day and constantly eating hi fat while sitting doing nothing. It's beyond me, I had my switch 3 years ago and I'm not perfect but struggle to maintain my weight as in not lose more. It's been stable for 18 months. May be there are some unlucky people but not many I should think.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I saw a programme not that long ago about a 14 year old (in America) that had a gastric bypass. Her first meal at home from her mother was liquidised KFC!!! :eek:

Shocking!!!:eek::sigh: Her mom needs a slap!!

I am so sorry if I have scared anyone. I spent a lot of time doing research because I believe if I am going to make the best of my wls I need to thoroughly understand it.

WLS works. From everything I have read, for 60 percent of people it works. Without regain, without deficiency etc.

Providers know how to maximise it. Good providers stay in touch and give you advice on how to maximise your weight loss and maintenance.

Even after everything I have read I am convinced that WLS is the only thing that can help me now. I know my eating patterns will not fit the band.

On sleeve vs bypass, the initial results are similar, although with no malabsorption many people need a later conversion to a bypass. This is safer, however than initially having the bypass on patients with a BMI of 60+ (like me).

The data on sleeving is much less as it is a newer surgery. However, there are two things that attract me to the sleeve. The first is that the pyloric valve remains intact which means a) no dumping and b) regain is actually less likely because the body handles sugars better. The second is no deficiencies.

However, I recognise that I have a BMI of 60+ and that it is unlikely I will hit ideal weight loss with a sleeve. So that is why I am torn.

Again, really sorry if I have scared everyone - I do honestly still believe that WLS is the best thing for many of us in this situation.

Thanks hun. However, as always I have only posted the bad things I have found out! Such is the nature of man... There are positive stories out there.

Yve, we need to hear the truth. The real good and bad. This forum would be pointless with onely the 'good stuff' I asked the question and thank you for answering with your knowledge chick xxx

I don't know how people regain! You'd have to eat all day and constantly eating hi fat while sitting doing nothing. It's beyond me, I had my switch 3 years ago and I'm not perfect but struggle to maintain my weight as in not lose more. It's been stable for 18 months. May be there are some unlucky people but not many I should think.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I hope I am one of the lucky ones :D lol

When I was looking into success stories after 10+ years, one of the things I realised was that WLS was drastically different. One procedure involved stapling the stomach and then putting a vertical band around it. No idea why. maybe this is what she meant?

Hi Yve. The procedure known as the VBG ("vertical banded gastroplasty") was popular in the 1970's and 80's and was commonly known as "stomach stapling".

This is what it looks like:
VBG.jpg

As you can see a row of staples is inserted at the side of the stomach to try and create restriction, and it is also banded, further down. Thus a small hole is created in the stomach to accommodate the band, and the hole is stapled with a circular stapler.

The VBG procedure lead to short term weight loss but results 10 -20 years down the line were very poor. (I even recall many news and magazine articles in the 1990's from women who had had "stomach stapling" complaining about problems and weight re-gain further down the line.)

The statistics for the VBG procedure are *worse* than all other surgeries -- worse than the gastric band, sleeve or RNY.

It could well be that the USA Biggest Loser contestant (who I assume is now in her 30's or more????) did have a VBG, from what you and the other poster says above.

im 7.5 months po and yes you can eat more than the early stages of bypass its common knowledge your pouch stretches after a while but i still get full on very little portions having the bypass was the best thing that ever happened for me yes there has been substantial muscle loss but its starting to reform now but at the end of the day we will all have to live with self control and make the right choices for the rest of our lives where food is concerned after all wls is a tool we have to learn to use its not the miracle cure so many people seem to think it is and if people are gaining weight after surgery there doing something very wrong ie back to eating all that lovely tasty crap that put us all here in the 1st place.

Back