• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bypass post op diet

fatbutnot4eva

Loves her gorgeous family
Hi i just wanted to know if it has to be so much weighing and measuring. I am terrible at counting grams etc... and i cant eat or drink anything made from a powder (takes me back to my mum making us have this strawberry milkshake kind of drink to get rid of worms)
thanks
helen

also protein shots - is this a drink or tablet ? and do you need them ?

I am sure the guru's will be along to advise - but I don't do any of the above. I spoke to my dietitian about protein shakes / powders etc and she told me they are unnecessary - I have cheese / egg every day. This may not be what others have been advised. I don't weigh or count anything as I can't be a**ed but stick with what I know is healthy and what my body can tolerate. I already know what is healthy and high sugar / fat etc so that is a good enough guide for me.

So in short - no it doesn't have to be as complicated as you have detailed if you don't want it to but alternatively, you caan get as fastidious as you want.

Hi
Thanks I am hoping that I woudl be able to be like that, I have never really counted anything other than calories which are easy lol.... I would hate having to weigh everything and count etc...

as like you say I know what is healthy and what is not
Thanks
Helen

I also dont weigh stuff these days as I can not eat that much anyway I have my meal till I no Im full then throw whats left away so I dont pick at it after. I dont take protein supps I did ask Dr Hartland about them at my last visit and he told me not to bother with them

Hi i just wanted to know if it has to be so much weighing and measuring. I am terrible at counting grams etc... and i cant eat or drink anything made from a powder (takes me back to my mum making us have this strawberry milkshake kind of drink to get rid of worms)
thanks
helen

also protein shots - is this a drink or tablet ? and do you need them ?

You dont have to take protein shakes/shots etc unless you have a problem eating enough protien. I had at first still cant eat eggs but can now eat cheeses and meats so its not so bad.
The only reason i have to concentrate on my proteins is because i wasnt getting enough and wasnt feeling too good. I dont weigh my food at all havent done this since op date other than to work out protien levels.

I find that I cant eat enough to worry about if im having enough or not so please dont panic about this, its so different after your operation, your mind changes and life becomes much easier with your food issues. HTH
:):)

thanks x i think i am reading too much into it and thinking that after i will be having to be this obsessed foody that has to weigh a piece of chicken fillet and then pasta and read the packets too see what % is protein and then calculate what % of food per day is protein etc...

x

Hi

Sadly I'm not a guru and agree with what TPT says some do and some don't weigh and measure everything or as Teen says not after the first few months.

The key thing is that you need to be able to know that you are getting in 80g of protein per day and at the outset unless you know what protein there is per 100g and then what this means in terms of your intake you won't be sure you're getting all the protein you require. In the first few weeks it can be difficult to get that from food depending on what you can eat. Then protein shots or readymade protein shakes can provide whats missing (you said you didn't like powder mixes so I left them out). After a while you remember how much 100g of chicken looks like or how much protein there is in an egg so you can follow it in your head.

I like to know whats what and log my food into food focus.co.uk, only takes a few mins each day. One reason for that for me is its amazingly easy to eat more calories than you think, I can eat loads more than I thought I would be able to. But its not essential to do this at all, just do what suits you best. If you don't loose weight as quick as you think you will then you can look into what needs adjusting in your food intake then.

Hope that helps

M

Thanks makes alot of sence I am probably worrying about nothing.
When I started weigh management I was told everything must be less than 5% fat I though OMG how am I going to do that but now everything I buy I look at the fat content so will be the same I suppose.

No one told me about fat content but less than 5% added sugar is important and little or no alcohol - due to hidden calories. Low fat is important of course because so much high fat food is 'slider' food and full of useless calories. If the weight loss slows down and you still have weight to lose then it's important to monitor your intake, and drink plenty of water. x x

Back