• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

bypass reversal/takedown?

JOHNG79

Hi guys,

Just gathering some information really, but quite difficult getting info online about uk patients.

Has anyone had a reversal/takedown? If so, what were the circumstances, and was it open or laparascopic? Also who was the surgeon?

More importantly how are you now afterwards?

I have no info @JOHNG79 but are you ok? Are you considering a reversal?

I have no info @JOHNG79 but are you ok? Are you considering a reversal?
To be honest my own experience is exchanging one misery(being morbidly obese) for another (constantly so tired and recurrent flu like symptoms). At least being huge i knew the issue. Yeah iv lost 13.5 stone which is great but my standard of life is not much different to this time last year. According to GP all bloodwork is fine. Taking everything i should be, if anything id prob say i take slightly more. To be honest bar a few days, iv never been right post op (jan this year). Since june particularly iv felt like the air has completely emptied out of my balloon, if you know what i mean. Oh and now reflux is worse than pre op despite being back on the same type and dose i was on before surgery.
My surgeon seemed happy that structurally all is ok, but after regular chasing things up iv managed to get appt to see them soon. When i mentioned extreme tiredness they passed me off to gp. Surely no coincidence these symptoms fatigue, constant flu symptoms only occurred after surgery.
Really would like to speak to some people who have had reversal op to know my options.

That's a real shame @JOHNG79 I hope someone who has been through it sees your post.

To be honest my own experience is exchanging one misery(being morbidly obese) for another (constantly so tired and recurrent flu like symptoms). At least being huge i knew the issue. Yeah iv lost 13.5 stone which is great but my standard of life is not much different to this time last year. According to GP all bloodwork is fine. Taking everything i should be, if anything id prob say i take slightly more. To be honest bar a few days, iv never been right post op (jan this year). Since june particularly iv felt like the air has completely emptied out of my balloon, if you know what i mean. Oh and now reflux is worse than pre op despite being back on the same type and dose i was on before surgery.
My surgeon seemed happy that structurally all is ok, but after regular chasing things up iv managed to get appt to see them soon. When i mentioned extreme tiredness they passed me off to gp. Surely no coincidence these symptoms fatigue, constant flu symptoms only occurred after surgery.
Really would like to speak to some people who have had reversal op to know my options.
Sorry to hear John how awful it is. Having suffered chronic fatigue in the past I know how debilitating it can be.

You have lost a considerable amount of weight in a very short time (above average) and it could be your body is complaining at the shock.

Are you still losing now?

What types/amounts of foods are you eating? Are you getting enough?

Dumping can also cause flu like symptoms and fatigue.

I would get your consultant to check out whether your bloodwork is fine. Not all GP's are up to speed, I had to chase mine to get my 3 monthly B12's and get dietitian to write to him.

Maybe you need a change of dose/type of reflux meds?

I can imagine why you would want to take away what is causing you misery. Hopefully seeing your surgeon soon will give you some answers. Do you have an endocrinologist as a part of your team?

Sorry to hear John how awful it is. Having suffered chronic fatigue in the past I know how debilitating it can be.

You have lost a considerable amount of weight in a very short time (above average) and it could be your body is complaining at the shock.

I would get your consultant to check out whether your bloodwork is fine. Not all GP's are up to speed, I had to chase mine to get my 3 monthly B12's and get dietitian to write to him.

I can imagine why you would want to take away what is causing you misery. Hopefully seeing your surgeon soon will give you some answers. Do you have an endocrinologist as a part of your team?
To be honest i have only experienced dumping once very early on. I tried the paediatric calpol for headache, but i guess it was too sugary as i learnt a valuable lesson that night lol (sorry for tmi).

Consultant has seen bloods too. No i have no endocrinologist in team, as i had to go private for surgery (northern Ireland nhs dont fund bariatric surgery - bmi was 62 on 30/11/16). I have surgeon, nurse and dietitian who appears to get referred to for most if not all queries.

Currently on about 1000cals a day, getting plenty protein in. Being honest my food hasnt changed pretty much in months, bar swapping veg type/meat souce.

Last 3 weeks, iv had 2 gains (3/4lb and 1lb). Before than losses every week.

Infuriating waking up thinking if this is day its resolving itself, go downstairs, and within minutes start feeling the aches in legs. Was only may i was able to walk 4/5 mile straight without issue. Now i try pushing to do a walk, im drained for days afterwards.

So frustrating that im in this position, and cant seem to get any answers.

Oh and daily headaches

Sorry to hear this @JOHNG79 that must be difficult to deal with.

Have they given you your blood work values or just told you that you were ok? My b12 levels were ok and I wasn't anaemic but I felt really exhausted so I started to use a bit B12 oral spray and take spatone liquid iron. I felt better in a few days - are you having b12 injections? If not then try the spray.... achy legs is one of the b12 deficiency symptoms.... turns out my HBO levels were borderline but "didn't require intervention".... my experience says otherwise. (Even if it was just a placebo effect. Who knows!)

I had some borderline values on my last tests, which my GP said was ok, but dietitian was more concerned about. I can get mine online through SystmOnline now. Does your GP surgery support this?

You haven't mentioned you are having B12 injections... It is recommended now that they are given every 3 months, regardless of what your levels are. You may want to up your Vit D as well, as lack of can too cause achy muscles.

Oh and also taking the b12 spray daily. Iron supplements taken alongside additional vitamin b compound and centrum advance twice a day.

Back