• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Operation practicalities

Boblatina

I love this forum and I have found out so much so far - the only problem is I want is to find out even more.

And as usual, it is the small things that are niggling at me so can anyone help me out about a few practical things about the operation (bypass).

1) Did you have a lot of lines put into your hands?
2) How long afterwards did you have your catheter removed?
3) How soon after the op could you sit up? Get up under your own steam? Walk?
4) How big were your scars? (I am having keyhole surgery) How were they kept closed - disolvable stitches/staples or when were they removed?
5) How long did they stop you driving?
How long were you off work? (And how long could you have strung it out for - like I want to ;))

and - most importantly of all

6) HOW SOON AFTERWARDS COULD YOU HAVE A SHOWER????

(My OH had to have an emergency operation on an "incarcerated" hernia 10 days ago and was only able to have his first proper shower yesterday. The idea of having to survive on strip washes for a week or more just fills me with horror - far more than the idea of the surgery! :eek:)

All info gratefully received!

love

TillyBob

Hi tillybob,

Do you know where you are having your surgery? It varies a lot from one hospital to the next, but here are my answers.

Bypass surgery - laparascopic - Spire Macclesfield

No, one line in which was put in on the anaesthetic table. Came out once I was on liquids, the evening after the op, after I had had the barium xray.

The following morning.

Was pretty out of it for a few hours post op. Able to sit up and get up by the evening though. Sat on the edge of the bed lots to burp through the night! Once the catheter came out the next day and the inflatable antiv-DVT boots were off I was up and walking with the physio easily enough.

4) How big were your scars? (I am having keyhole surgery) How were they kept closed - disolvable stitches/staples or when were they removed?

I have 5 scars, varying from 1cm to 1inch. 1 under my boobs, and 4 across my stomach. They had internal stitches and staples, which were removed 8 days post op. I had waterproof dressings so I could shower.

Check with your insurance company. Mine said I was allowed to drive once the doctor said it was ok, and the doctor suggested 2 weeks as a guideline.

How long were you off work? (And how long could you have strung it out for - like I want to ;))

I was off for 2 1/2 weeks, although I could have done with more. Ideally I would have liked 4 weeks off.

The next day, once the catheter was out, line was out, and anti-DVT boots were off. Dressings were waterproof so no probs there.

Barium X-ray?????????????? When did I miss that meeting and why wasn't I allowed a vote ??????? (I take it that you mean a Barium enema if it is post-op because of the amount you'd need to swallow for a Barium meal.

I am under Kings College Hospital in SE London like Snow Crystal - but she is under a different surgeon to me and her journey seems very different.

I was hoping/expecting a date in December/January but having spoken on here to SC she has been told that the waiting time from consultation with the surgeon to op is about 14 weeks which would make my surgery in November/early December all being well.

I am sooooooooo keyed up about it that I am on tenterhooks every time the postman comes. (So much so that OH has told me that I should either stop coming on here or, at the very least, stop talking about surgery every 2 minutes. (Yeah. Like I am going to do that :) ) To be honest, I won't relax about this until I come round from the operation with actual scars to show I have really been operated on!)

love

TillyBob

Hi

It varies hospital to hospital and surgeon to surgeon.

At Chichester there is no barium thingy ( well not for me anyway). Catheter was in for 2 days, I had 3 lines which came out at 1-2 days. Some ladies has naso-gastric tubes but after I told the surgeon I hated things down my throat he said he woukd try hard not to give me it and he didn't yay. Moon boots were on 3 days and I had to stay in for min of 4 days ended up as 6 days. Scars very tiny and glued. Had and needed 6 weeks away from work. Up on day one they insist, shower as soon as you liked after catheter out.

Good luck

M

How long were you off work? (And how long could you have strung it out for - like I want to )

Just the one during the operation, then there was a little drama following the operation which meant I had to have an emergency operation to have a central line inserted into my neck. It wasn’t used though as it worked out.

Three days after the operation. I would not have needed one at all if not for the drama.

Had the operation Saturday afternoon and was walking around Sunday afternoon.

Scars about three quarters of an inch wide. Dissolvable stitches, no need to remove

Two weeks one for each hour of surgery

It was once the dressings had come off around five days I think

Good luck

No, I mean a barium meal. Not done at all hospitals, but at mine all bypass patients have one the day after surgery to check for leaks. It isn't easy to get it all down but it is possible! Once that is ok'd by the radiologist, you are started on liquids and the drip comes out.

1) Did you have a lot of lines put into your hands? think I had 2 not sure
2) How long afterwards did you have your catheter removed? 2 days
3) How soon after the op could you sit up? Get up under your own steam? Walk? sat up same day walked the next morning
4) How big were your scars? (I am having keyhole surgery) How were they kept closed - disolvable stitches/staples or when were they removed? I had open 7 inch long
5) How long did they stop you driving? 6 weeks
How long were you off work? (And how long could you have strung it out for - like I want to ;)) 10 weeks

6) HOW SOON AFTERWARDS COULD YOU HAVE A SHOWER???? next morning

Barium X-ray?????????????? When did I miss that meeting and why wasn't I allowed a vote ??????? (I take it that you mean a Barium enema if it is post-op because of the amount you'd need to swallow for a Barium meal.

I am under Kings College Hospital in SE London like Snow Crystal - but she is under a different surgeon to me and her journey seems very different.

I was hoping/expecting a date in December/January but having spoken on here to SC she has been told that the waiting time from consultation with the surgeon to op is about 14 weeks which would make my surgery in November/early December all being well.

I am sooooooooo keyed up about it that I am on tenterhooks every time the postman comes. (So much so that OH has told me that I should either stop coming on here or, at the very least, stop talking about surgery every 2 minutes. (Yeah. Like I am going to do that :) ) To be honest, I won't relax about this until I come round from the operation with actual scars to show I have really been operated on!)

love

TillyBob

Hi Tilly

I know what you mean, you're like a cat on a hot tin roof...lol.

And Mini's is addictive, I know!

My poor husband is luckily for me a very good listener...a very good counsellor and a very good comedian...all the traits needed for the the partner of a potential Weight Loss Patient....lol.

Have you heard any more about your journey?

I heard today that the team have contacted my GP about some test outcomes from way back when...(long story, it's in my diary).

Tilly, I should mention that when we were at the group meeting the surgeon said the wait was about 18 weeks from consult...but his registrar said that it's about 14....but that does not include all the little stops along the way for test they require and so on...and of course we will be on 2 different surgical lists...But I hope you get done very soon.

Don't forget though, every time you get an appointment, as long as it don't co-inside with tests and the results, do keep checking for cancellations....You can bring your whole journey forward with some luck...(I have had to cancel mine appointment this coming Friday (boohoo) because I have not had one of the tests yet...and the new date I have is for October, but I'll keep trying for a new date).

It's so good to know someone going to the same hospital as myself....keep in touch hun.

(((hugs)))

Only had one for 1st 12 hours (morphine drip)

Never had a catheter was given x amount of hours to go naturally
I had op at 11.30am and was up having a wash and changing into my own nightie at tea time. Walking wasn't a prob no pain just a bit light headed
Scars (5 port holes) small barely noticable, disolvable stitches,
Was recommended to give it two weeks. Due to start back on Sat
Depends on nature of job, mine is mentally challenging and can be phyiscally dangerous so def taking 4 weeks ( have had 2 already) possibly 6 x

Next morning xx

Two (was in HDU for a few days)

Day three.

Day three.

From just below breastbone to the inside of belly button. (to be fair have had two operations and post op wound problems).

Six weeks due to problems.

Work from home but again was around six weeks.

Day three after intial op and next day after second op.

Thanks for all the info peeps.

I am still waiting to get the date for my op after I had my consultation with the surgeon so I am getting very keyed up every day when the postman is due. (I've also even been starting to choose my hospital wardrobe and essentials to take - see my other thread - so I need to sort it out soon or I will be bankrupt as well as still fat :()

I suppose that my surgeon's estimate that my op would be "about 5 months" after the consult sort of kind of fits in with what Snow Crystal was told by her surgeon initially - 18 weeks (We are at the same hospital but nominally with different surgeons)

I just want to see things moving now but trying to start a major London Teaching Hospital moving is like trying to kick-start a blue whale!!!!!!

love

TillyBob

Back