• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bypass surgery or new career...can I have both?

Red 42

novice bypasser
Hi All

as you all know I had my band removed in July this year due to various problems which have now resolved themselves and I feel so much better (apart from the 10lb weight gain :eek:) old habits etc, etc!!!
anyway, my follow up appointment with Mr Schroeder is set for 13th October and we will be discussing bypass at that point...I have diet control diabetes & raised cholesterol so he said I should consider bypass. I know the wait for the op will be a long one, but my dilemma is this - I'm due to start Teesside University training as a student nurse on 24th January 2011 and I can't quite see how I can do both :confused:

I've always wanted to be a nurse and have waited 30 years for my chance to do this but, I've wanted to get my weight in control for equally as long and know that bypass will be my only chance....I'm worried about how long it would take me to recover and would I be able to work it into my uni/placement schedule if I was offered the op next year. In the next couple of months, I'll have to go for an occupational health screening as part of the lead up to uni...do you think I should raise this when I have my chat with them?

I never thought I would say this but my weight and getting it in control is forefront in my mind at the moment, but I don't want to pass up my chance at my dream career :sigh:

is it feasable to do both, as I can't seem to think clearly :cry:

thanks for reading
Yvonne x

Hi Yvonne

I think the question is, which is most important to you, deep, deep down. You know in your heart what is.

You have 5 months, maybe the op will come quicker than you think. Could you not mention this to the bariatric team and see what advice they can offer and also put yourself on a cancellation list.

Good luck with the soul searching x

Oh goodness Yvonne what a dilema!

Im sure between the bariatric team and Uni you can work something out to make sure you can do both. It sounds like you will be seeing the team first so maybe you can get some idea of timescales waiting list etc so that when you do see occupational health you can go through it with them.

Good luck Yvonne, I know how much this means to you - big hugs xxx

Hi, as you know you could wait some time for your surgery. Friends who ended up in a caste or had medical problems which interfered with their training were able to get their training extended. It does mean that you might not necessarily finish with the group you started with, but, you could hopefully fulfil both dreams.

Getting a place at university is becoming more and more difficult. If this has always been your dream it would be a shame to let it slip away. As Cazbandy said you have 5 months. You don't have to make a decision now. When you've spoken to your consultant you will have much more of an idea as to how long you'll need to wait for surgery. Perhaps when you know your dates you could postphone your training to a later date rather than give it up altogether?

Rebirth

I do think with a lot of juggling you will be able to do both.......it wont be easy, but well worth it :D Good Luck x

I only took 2 1/2 weeks off, so it isn't necessarily a long recovery period! I would ask if you can have the surgery either before you start, or in the summer break if you get one.

The people who provide nurse training will be used to people having all sort of set-backs and delays for all kinds of reasons...even pregnancy would not be so unusual.

so I would say, absolutley, YES, you can have both!

Bypass surgery will probably mean 6 weeks off work. I'm sure they'll be able to fit that in around your studies. You may not even have a placement at the time of your surgery. They have contingency plans for such things. And you will be a fitter, healthier and more able nurse because of your surgery.

Best wishes with it all. xxxx

I'm in the middle of a degree at Teesside Uni and they were great at supporting me around my absence from my studies. In honesty i could have returned to uni earlier, but because i'm seconded i couldn't do this unless i also returned to work and i definitely didn't want to do that lol.
I managed to study at home and i got submission date for peices of work deferred. Its been hard catching up but i've managed.
I'd say give it a go and if it doesn't work out maybe you can defer a year ( i was given this option but declined )

I agree go for it.

My daughter has a friend who has had a baby in the middle of her course! Not nursing but biomedical science!!

When I had my knees replaced one of the students had had breast cancer - she took time out for her treatment and then went back to her training.

You will find nursing so much easier if you can lose some weight. I was trained as a nurse and know I would have struggled as my weight crept up. I was retired at 25 on health grounds!!

Good luck

xx

Go for it! Do both!!!

Wishing you loads of luck! xxxx

Hi,

Im sure you can do both. I am just at the end of my nurse training and had a year off in the middle when I had my baby. My friend had had two children while studying!!! Life still happens to people when they are studying. Well done on getting on the course. Its a real adventure, I have loved it.

Leesh x

I would definitely go for both. My bypass is on 13th Sept and I start college (p/t) the following week (Patisserie & Confectionary Advanced) at Gateshead College.
I am obviously aware that there could be medical problems, but if all goes well with the op, I see no reason at all why you should not continue as normal. I appreciate I do not know the after-effects, etc., but I am basing this on numerous sites I have read and people's own experiences. Why is it that you do not think you can do both? Remember, this is not an illness and do not let other people lead you down this path. There will be obvious discomfort and problems along the way to deal with, but that is to be expected.
Best of luck - Paul xx

Hi Yvonne,
If I were in your position and feeling well enough, I would try and do it all!

I always have said to myself, if I don't try I won't know...

There are always support and guidance should you need it and I wish you all the very best...

Hope you can get your weight under control to help you feel better and sending a huge hug your way.

With very best wishes, Bev xxx

Hey go for it all. As a nurse you will need all the stamina you can manage (I was a nurse) and the surgery will enhance this. As a word of advice I would be slightly wary how much emphasis you place on the surgery when you see occ health. If you dont have a date glib over it and say it may not be for a while or so. If you stress the point too much they may take the decision away from you and defer you until you have had the surgery. Occ health may of changed now nurse training is at uni but be careful!

Thankyou for all your replies.

I've been very lucky to get my place on the course and don't want to defer a year, I guess my concern is that this could be one of the last nursing diploma courses that Teesside run as they are being phased out and degree courses being the only way forward. I've seen a preview of the timetable and it looks as though we get a block of 4 weeks off around July time but are straight into placement after that for approx 6 weeks. It took approx 1 1/2 weeks to feel ok after banding with no heavy lifting for 6 weeks.

I tend to look too far ahead and worry about things before they happen...something my OH is always telling me off for :rolleyes: I just like to be organized :eek:

Yvonne x

Hi Yvonne, Bev reminded me of something Mr. Balapuri (Sld Consultant) said at our first Seminar; In response to a query of how long would a person be off work following Bypass Surgery? He stated that if you worked for an employer it can be up to 6 weeks!, but if you are self-employed there is no reason why you cannot be back to work within 7 days!
It might sound a bit harsh, but we took it as that basically it was down to your frame of mind with regard to post-op recovery, etc.
I know when I had both my kness replaced, each time I was out of hospital within a few days and walking within a few weeks. I did notice however, that when attending physio, some people seemed to 'make a meal' out of their recent ops and prolonging their recovery period due to lack of effort. (That was the opinion of the Physio as well)
I wish you all the best with your course and hopefully you can handle both that and the post-op recovery in your own positive way.
Regards - Paul x

Hiya

Theres nowt like been organised at least that way you know what to look out for. i am sure if you talk to them when you know it is going to happen that they can do something to help you out.They are both important parts of you life so go after both and keep hold of them

Jo
xx

Back