• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bypass weight gain

majove66

Had a bypass 21st june 2011,was 25st 10lb now 18.5,lost weight till the last month,now have put on a couple of pounds,need to kick start weight loss again,as i'm falling back into my old eating habits,has anyone got any views on retraining your thought process to start losing again

majove66 said:
Had a bypass 21st june 2011,was 25st 10lb now 18.5,lost weight till the last month,now have put on a couple of pounds,need to kick start weight loss again,as i'm falling back into my old eating habits,has anyone got any views on retraining your thought process to start losing again

Have you tried going back to proteins first? Or some people do the 5 day pouch test.

Sorry I can't be of much help. I am only nearly 5 weeks post op.

Well done on the weight you have lost xxx

I am pleased you haev raised this point I had my bypass in August 2011 I started 23 st 11in JUly and then lost bout stone and the rest before the op on preop 10 day diet and then was 22 stone when i went in I am now 16 stone 4. Bout 3 weeks ago i lost 5lb then the week after i put 2 on last week i lost that 2 i get weighed tomorrow but know i am starting to worry a bit, i have had the odd sweet, and treat my self to a ginger snap most days, try to have all my water and all food am supposed to have some times i have a bag of quavers for a treat. I have head hunger but don't feel hungry, and i am worried about slippin gback into old habits as well it is difficult i still eat very small healthy portions of meals though but the extras i worry bout in case i have had too much, i dread my weight day each week. I am with you am a worried soul as well. Just trying to rationalise with my self wether i should have something or not, usually not is a good answer. xx:cry:

I think we all reach a point that the honeymoon is over & we have to start working to get the remaining pounds off, we don't feel hungry but the head hunger battle starts & it's so easy to slip back into old habits even if we track them are we totally honest with ourselves. I know there are days in not & like you I gain the odd pound or half pound. I now try to pick if I can't control the head hunger on fruit rather than the old favourites but sometimes I don't win that battle.
I try to ensure I have something to do to distract myself at these times & up the liquids to fill the pouch to deflect the head hunger. But in all I don't think there's a magic solution to this it's just time to focus on our tool, our eating & our habits that perhaps we should have been doing before now but it's easy to lose that in the challenge of finding the good safe foods to eat to start off with that we forget the other things we will meet on this journey & aren't quite up to speed & ready for them when they hit. No doubt some will say we should have been preparing from day one but it's not always easy to think ahead as perhaps we should do.

I always eat healthy but its just the thought and sight of others eating, i am not cheating and if i have eaten anything like that it has been in a very small quantity indeed to try and irradicate that denied feeling. The element of doubt creeps in from time to time when i look at what i've had and how much iothers have lost when they have been through less time than me. xx Just a blip i know. xx

Do you exercise regularly? if not you'll always struggle to maintain unless you have made the lifestyle changes required for lifelong success. The 5day pouch test will give you five days to break the bad food choice cycle but unless you get a grip it will not help.

As lovely Fluff said it's a question of going back to basics, but this is why I bang on all the time about using the honeymoon period to make the changes to our relationships with food and exercise, as without that we risk future failure

Good luck

Lovely Fluff has made me giggle lol

:D

Ihave always exercised Carlos even more so now we have a free gym for staff at school so at least 2 nights a week without my other exercise at home. I have always been active and ate healthy but obviously the portions used to be too big, the doc thought the bypass would best suit my lifestyle. Ihave acheived such a lot already i know just sometimes i have to check my self. Ihaven't had a dumping episode so think i must be doing ok. Due for my first app. since op last August on wed 9th May, so will see what they have to say, appreciate all your comments, always the voice of reason, thank you. x

Lots of water and protein. I try and keep my food as dry as possible as it makes me fill up quicker and for longer.

Ihave always exercised Carlos even more so now we have a free gym for staff at school so at least 2 nights a week without my other exercise at home. I have always been active and ate healthy but obviously the portions used to be too big, the doc thought the bypass would best suit my lifestyle. Ihave acheived such a lot already i know just sometimes i have to check my self. Ihaven't had a dumping episode so think i must be doing ok. Due for my first app. since op last August on wed 9th May, so will see what they have to say, appreciate all your comments, always the voice of reason, thank you. x

Thanks but I was actually asking the OP if they exercised LOL

Small weight fluctuations are nothing to worry about as they will happen as our fluid levels change each day, I used to weigh myself five times a day some days and not surprisingly my weight would be all over the place LOL but if you see the fluctuations get more frequent or an increase in weight for more than a couple of weeks then alarm bells should be ringing.

I noticed if I don't drink enough water my weight loss slows so getting enough water is a big thing.
Exercise is also key as well as helping with weight and fitness it helps your mood and this should help with the old comfort eating.
I am only 5 months out but I so far have never let my head hunger win. I do think my goal plays a massive part in that as I wont risk doing anything wrong and never getting to be a mum.
Maybe set yourself a goal but not weight related as such like I want to do a tandem sky dive so I need to be less than 15stone. Something you aim for and once you have done that do another goal. I do think we are more driven when we have some reason to be.

I agree plenty of water & exercise are a must & it's not always easy to do what we should. We do what we can as much as we can we fight our demons as best as we can. None of us want to fail at this last chance hence our being here & admitting our fears & slips. I agree we need to find a path through to ongoing success once the honeymoon is over, but for some there are things that demand our energies other than ourselves other loved ones who distract us with their problems & take priority. In some cases an excuse for our own failings something to hide behind in others much more important than ourselves but while dealing with their problems can mean our demons let us cope & once things calm down we have to claw our way back to the right path. No excuses just reasons very valid very scary at the time & impossible to ignore as that could mean the loss of that loved one forever. But it does give an excuse for not facing & beating those demons & doing all that you can for yourself as that's not the time for self. Some of us don't get the counselling others do so have no back up when we need it other than on here. So I hear you Karlos & do what I can & have had some great results so far despite personal circumstances making it very tough at times, but those circumstances lead to the demons winning from time to time & the need to fight hard to shift these final 2stones to get to my goal & stay there. I will do it. I will find time for me & get through the feelings that mean I struggle for the time, energy & dedication to beat my demons & support my sons & husbands demands for attention with their mental health challenges that demand my attention let alone my other two sons. And no I didn't take your comments as a personal dig what you say is right & I know it I just need the me time to indulge myself & get the exercise & right mindset to finish this fight & win for once and for all. Life's not perfect & nor am I but I hope one day to get closer to it than I've been for a while & if I can succeed at this perhaps I'll manage to achieve better things in the rest of my life beating those demons because I'm in a better place. Come the next half term I'll go back to the liquid diet get my head straight family demands allowing & get to my goal, manage my liquids better & help myself for a change.

Can someone let me know what the 5 day pouch test is. Many thanks

thanks

cheers for all the advice,i was having a bad day yesterday,dreading i would start piling on the pounds,reading horror stories on other sites of people putting on shed loads of weight after having a bypass,the last 10 months have been bloody brilliant,losing 7 stone has given me back my life,for too many years i hid inside,now i walk for fun,i got out of the habit of drinking water ill now get back to my 2 litres a day,once again thanx for your great advice,hope we all continue shedding the pounds,and live a healthy life

Back