• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

caesarian may change Bypass to possible sleeve Help!

SARAH S

Here comes the new me
I had my pre op assessment yesterday and whilst talking to my surgeon I told lim I'd had a c section, he says that there is a possibilty that the bowel may have stuck to the scar tissue and he poss wont be able to make the bypass.

"We've got 3 Choices" he says
"1- cancel the op" er I don't think so!:cry:
"2- do a gastric sleeve" oookaay?:confused:
"3- give you a gastric band" I really don't think this will work for me:sigh:

Has anyone else had this problem, I haven't seen it mentioned and now I'm off to find more info on the sleeve- my surgeon says its as established as the bypass and not as effective

I saw my surgeon on Monday and told him I had an emergency Caesarian in 1998 and he didn't bat an eyelid and went on to say he'd support me in having a bypass.

hi sarah,my surgeon told me that he may change to sleeve during my surgery too,as im having other things sorted at same time ,and i have agreed to that ,so ive been researching the sleeve to....i refused the band ,with his agreement as it is not for me ,,, good luck , and hope you get what you hope for x

Thanks guys, I think he was just covering all bases. Hopefully there wont be any problems. I should have asked him I guess but it caught me off guard.

He's a lovely bloke but I did feel like I'd had a bit of grilling as I left!!

Hi Sarah! Not entirely the same but my other in law had an op to remove ovary and something else (can't remember?) At her pre op she was told that due to scar tissue a bypass may not be possible.
Better to be forewarned now and be included in the decision for an alternative! Good luck to you? X

Oh poor you, we can do without the worry at this time. Like you say, he is probably only saying it as a precaution, (like they say 1/200 die :eek: ) so hopefully it will still be the bypass for you.

Why did you feel like you had a grilling? Was it the questions, or just the enormity of the meeting? I know when I come out of meetings I often 'replay' the perfect scenario in my mind afterwards - if only people played my my rules ;)

Three weeks today for me! I should have been starting my milk diet today, but I am sure the next week will fly by. Just picked up a message from the pharmacy at the surgery to ring tomorrow re liquid medication, so I think there is another problem there to sort! I will only be a month ahead of you now...

Do you go the the ex BOSPA meeting at Shortlanesend? I might try to go to the next one at the end of the month. I have managed to be busy or away for the last 4 or 5 LOL.

Hi

I had various gynea ops prior to having my band fitted and subsequetly a total hysterectomy due to (amongst other things) adhesions from previous surgeries. I was told a similar thing regarding the bypass but for me it wasnt an issue as I was having a band.

I think the consultant is as you say covering all bases and forwarned is forarmed x

I think he was just making sure that I knew what \i was letting myself in for, also I don't binge or eats loads ...quite the reverse and I think he was just stressing the importance post op that I need or MUST eat regularly. But he's an absolutley lovely guy... seems to be really on side, which is refreshing.

I am hoping to go to the next meeting at shortlanesend so might see you there Trish:)

Ive had two csections a hysterectomy and had a bypass /hernia repair no problems!

Hiya

I was told that i could not have the bypass unless it was open surgery due to previous sections. I decided on a different surgery which i am more than happy with but it is a choice you have to make. I was told a bypass could be quite dangerous for me (but i have had 3 sections).

Good luck

I had two c- sections, 4 hernia repairs and a sucessful D/switch - surgeon never mentioned issues. I'd be questioning him, is he just trying to reduce his work by going for an easy option. My bmi was 63 or more too - so I was high risk.

Thanks for all your comments... I am going private so I don't believe he was doing anything other than making sure I was aware of a potential problem and wanted my input as to what I would prefer the outcome to be.

The fact that so many of you have had c sections and successful bypass surgery sets my mind to rest that there is only a slight chance of a problem.

Once again this forum has proved to be the font of all knowledge... I told them at the hospital about the site and how positive it was..

Thanks again:)

Hiya, i was booked in for RNY surgery in April. Before the op i discussed with my surgeon that if he was unable to do the procedure via keyhole i did not want to have it done in an open procedure.
Due to one thing and another (adhesions being one thing), he performed a sleeve vis keyhole.
I have not looked back weight is coming off steady and barring a couple of days feeling rough (one occasion due to run of the mill illness lol)i love my sleeve.
p.s i have never had a c section adhesions were due to other issues

Iv had 2 sections one 11 months b4 bypass surgeon didn't say anything like that to me, hope u get the decision and op u want Hun xx

I had a bypass but the night before the dr said due to my size (reason for getting this done) he may not be able to bypass me once open and may have to sleeve me, but that wasn't the case he bypassed me, I did have a small issue but I would do it again in a heartbeat.

They just like to cover their backs but still give u wls xxx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Thanks for the info...I think my surgeon was just wanting my preference in case of any problems onthe table! I cant wait for "my turn" so many of you have been through so much and achieved a fantastic result... I want it too!!!!!!

Do u know when your turn is, I'm a week out n although it still feels unreal that iv had this it's my best choice ever xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

My appointment is set for 7th Sept, I caught a glimpse of the calender.....thats 7 weeks yesterday!!!

Back