• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

sleeve to bypass converstion???

cld86

Hi, has anyone had their gastric sleeve converted to a gastric bypass?? I have suffered horrendous reflux since my sleeve, i have an hiatus hernia, plenty of problems, and every now and then suffer horrific pain which see's me do a small stint in hospital. My consultant is fantastic, and has recomended a sleeve to bypass conversion to help with the reflux. Even if it doesn't completely cure it, easing it would be perfect! What can i expect? Is the after care, experinces ext same as the sleeve? Can anyone give me any advice? Anything would help, im begining to feel a little nervous x

Hi
I've just band to sleeve suffered reflux with band problems so I know how awful it is just hope I don't with sleeve his long after your op did reflux start? Can they not repair the hernia instead? I think there are a few on here in the same situation I'm sure someone will be along soon to help and I think aftercare itch all ops is similar good luck x

Hi, it started a couple of months after id say, maybe a little sooner. Hernia repairs dont always work, my consultant seems quite confident this will. Im nearly 2 years post sleeve and suffering alot, this just seams to be getting worse, ive had to defer from uni, its really turned my life upside down. The sleeve was my choice, never suffered reflux or heartburn prior, but had to be the 1 that gets it this bad. Ive had my pre op, just going through the nerves and scary part all over again.

Thats fab to hear Caroline Jess. Just want to feel normal again x

Fingers crossed it will all work and good they are looking after you and your consultant is good NHS in my area wouldn't fund by band to sleeve because my bmi was under 40 they did try to reposition my band for me but i still had problems I suffered for 3 years with reflux so know how awful you are feeling hope to god I don't get it it with the sleeve cos I've took out a loan for it but my consultant did say he'd have a Good look for hernias although I think weightloss can cause them I defo don't want a fourth op to bypass lol wishing you all the luck in the world Xx

Thankyou Monalisa. My consultant is brill, he has a good reputation. He's been really supportive with my situation. I couldn't of asked for a better doctor really. I have confidence in him. Just freaking out on the little things, but i really cant wait, part of me will skip to that operating table, (i freak out at the dentist, so that says alot lol) Can't keep going like this! Ive had every pill going and noyhing works and i drink gaviscon like pop. Life will be great ... after x

I freak out at the dentist too you will be fine I've had three wls ops now so feel for you I too tried every pill and potion going for my band induced reflux it's awful there's a lady on here called violet Angel she's going through the same scenario as you when i read stories like this I question my decision for the sleeve but wasn't sure about the bypass at the time although my consultant assured me I should be fine with the sleeve as my problems were Proven to be band related have to keep my fingers crossed keep us posted how you get on X

Hi, it started a couple of months after id say, maybe a little sooner. Hernia repairs dont always work, my consultant seems quite confident this will. Im nearly 2 years post sleeve and suffering alot, this just seams to be getting worse, ive had to defer from uni, its really turned my life upside down. The sleeve was my choice, never suffered reflux or heartburn prior, but had to be the 1 that gets it this bad. Ive had my pre op, just going through the nerves and scary part all over again. Thats fab to hear Caroline Jess. Just want to feel normal again x

Nice to hear from someone who is in exactly the same boat as me!!

I have been suffering from severe reflux and I have a small hiatus hernia. I am only 7 months out though. I handed my notice at work Christmas because I had to have so much time off sick with the reflux.

My consultant ( who has been really good)has mentioned the possibility of doing a sleeve to bypass conversion, but he's waiting to see if I improve. Ive had an endoscopy and barium swallow which showed the hiatus hernia and I thought he would offer to repair it. Have you had your hernia repaired?

Also the weight loss has completely slowed down and I wondered if this could be due to the hernia and or the reflux?

Hi Violetangel, my surgeon doesn't think hernia repair will completely ease my symptoms. I had an endiscopy which 'showed nothing' was left for a couple of months, and had a barium swollow which then showed hernia and reflux! So my consultant then wanted to perform and endoscopy himself. He saw the same. Then was taken into hospital with pain and the performed another endoscopy, which shows i had esophagitis too. My weight loss has stopped,ive put a few lb back on cause i cant eat healthy meals and meals in general. I pick at buts if crap that dont cause me to keal over in pain and choke on my own stomach fluid. If in honest i really cant wait for the op but im scared again... In my situation its just become worse. X

Hi Violetangel, my surgeon doesn't think hernia repair will completely ease my symptoms. I had an endiscopy which 'showed nothing' was left for a couple of months, and had a barium swollow which then showed hernia and reflux! So my consultant then wanted to perform and endoscopy himself. He saw the same. Then was taken into hospital with pain and the performed another endoscopy, which shows i had esophagitis too. My weight loss has stopped,ive put a few lb back on cause i cant eat healthy meals and meals in general. I pick at buts if crap that dont cause me to keal over in pain and choke on my own stomach fluid. If in honest i really cant wait for the op but im scared again... In my situation its just become worse. X

Thanks for sharing your experience with me Hun. It's understandable that you're worried about the procedure but I think it will be the making of you.

For me it's the not knowing and uncertainty of it all. I think if things don't improve, I will end up having a sleeve to bypass conversion too. This is not what I want but i think it's a case of needs must. If they are unable to get me right by other means then it may be the only solution.

I am really interested to hear how it all goes for you, so please keep us updated as to your progress!!

Take care xx

Back