• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

calling all post op bypassers

CHUCKY

hi all is it really necesary to buy protien suppliments if you are eating a proper diet post op, They seem expensive and wanted to know if they are really necesary?

thanks

julie x

Its personal choice Julie. If you can get enough protein in through diet alone (around 80-90g per day) then go for it. You can always use something like Food Focus - Permanent Weight Loss to track your intake and see how it goes.

hi all is it really necesary to buy protien suppliments if you are eating a proper diet post op, They seem expensive and wanted to know if they are really necesary?

thanks

julie x

I didn't use protein suppliments until about 3 weeks ago and i'm 9 months post op, and i've lost weight, in fact i've really had no problem losing weight, i do however tend to eat protein rich foods and i've tended to stay away from stodgy simple carbs like bread, pasta and rice.

I've started to use a protein suppliment as an experiment to see what difference it makes, but as i'm only part way hrough my experiment the juries still out for me.

I'm only 8 weeks post op and don't yet manage to get all my protein from food so use 42g liquid protein supplements (couldn't get on with the powder mixes. They cost approx £60 per month but since I've been using them I feel miles better. I'm hoping to cut these down as time goes on and I can get more from food.

Good luck

M

If you do decide that your going to use protein suppliments or shakes, then go for whey protein, as soy protein does not contain the full list of amino acids you need to absorb it, find a product with the highest amount of protein (at least 80% per 45 gram portion) and contains no sugars or artificial sugars as many do.
The recomended daily amount is 46 grams, and remember this is in addition to eating a protein rich diet not as an alternative.

Wow I never realised how much the protein supplements are. CCPM you say 60 a month...can you get any help financally with these as I'm only on a very low income.

The shots are expensive, you can get whey powder cheaper which makes up into like a milkshake. Bear in mind though that post op your food spend is considerably lower so even with protein supplements added in you shouldn't be spending as much as you did pre-op.

The protein debate, as always everyone makes their own choices and that is how it should be. This is your own private journey after all. I am in the pro-protein supplement camp. I believe that I owe alot of my weight loss success to the use of high protein. I do believe that you can get all your protein requirements in through your diet alone but it is difficult to balance every single day so I use the protein supplements to ensure I meet my target of 88g per day. It is my choice and yes it can be rather expensive. Depending on which you buy, etc. However I never spend more on my food and supplements than I spent on food alone pre-op. I was eating 3-5x more food than I do now so I have room in my budget to buy higher quality food and supplements without the fear of a high cost food bill.

Do your own homework and see for yourself what you think. Best of luck and I hope you have brilliant success which ever way you go.

Nic;)

Back