• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Calories & exercise?

Sarahj2710

Hi, I just wondered if anyone knows what sort of calorie intake I should be aiming for 3 weeks post op? I am currently doing about 400-500 per day and feel like I could eat more, just don't because I want to lose the weight, but feel tired a lot so wondered if this had anythinto do with not eating enough calories. Also, what is everyone doing exercise wise? Going to the gym fills me with dread, and I can't start swimming yet as my wounds haven't completely healed, however I have taken up walking 30 mins per day (some days). Any suggestions?

Hi

Walking is a really good start. Its still early days so dont rush into doing anything too vigorous!

I was advised not to swim until 6 weeks post op, due to the nasty things lurking in the pool!

Your calories are low so that could be why you are feeling tired. Have a word with your provider and see what they advise based on what you are having at the moment x

I'm sorry hadnt realised you were a bypasser as this is posted in the banders faq!

I will move the thread for you :thread_moved:

To some extent you are right - those habits are only a step away and its a good idea to keep an eye on them, but that should not stop you from eating your fill. At the moment you should aim for 800ish cals moving upto more. Rather than concentrating on calories you should be thinking about getting in as much protein as you can - you don't say what stage you're at, but you need a certain amount of calories for your body to function - and if you have too few you will actually struggle to lose weight as you will hang onto your fat and the weight you lose will be muscle mass.

Ooopppsss sorry, new to this forum thing and didn't realise

3 weeks out is still early. I'd say if you can eat more then do, just make it nutritious - high protein/low carb. Try and make sure your fluid intake is good as this helps a lot too.

I spoke to my gp and emailed my surgeon, I am now 3 weeks out and was told I can now go swimming, and gym after 6 weeks. I'd started to gym last year so won't daunting for me to go back.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I think it is very dependant on how well you're healing and how your incisions look. Personally, although my incisions healed very fast I was glad I waited the six weeks.

I'm also on week 3 out of bypass surgery and also only managing about 400-500 calories a day, but most of that is protein, with a protein shake as well as my purees I'm averaging about 50-60 gms protein daily. But after reading the posts here will try now to up my calorie intake a little more also, as I don't seem to be losing very much at all. Only 81bs in the last 2 weeks since the op..

I personally lost very fast - bear in mind that some of this will depend on how much of your weight is water - I retain water like noone's business. Aim for 2lbs a week, but any loss is a good loss.

Back