• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Thought i knew wot i was doing!

charlie87

Hi i am new to all of this had my band fitted last tuesday (14/8/12) i thought i was the model student doing all my research daily before the op so i was well prepared for the journey ahead! I have just completed 9 days of liquid diet post op which i actually found really easy to be honest and feeling good in myself without rubbish filling my body, however i staryed my puree stage yesterday and i already kno im struggling to make up the calories i am gwtting around 450-500 kcals a day but from wot ive read on here i should b aiming for 1000. my dietician hasnt told me anything about calorie intake just gave me a list of foods i can eat on each stage! I feel out of my depth completely now a am worried that my weight loss isnt gonna happen because of my calorie intake! Would reallly appreciate some advice xxx

Don't worry, you cant eat much when you first move onto mushies. Your tum is probably still swollen from the op but in time you will be able to manage more.

Get back in touch with your dietician if you are worried though xx

thankyou for ur reply :) think i may just be getting ahead of myself reading everyones stories and getting myself worried. ive emailed my dietician just to get a bit of advice from her. Im worrying about everything like ive found the liquid stage really easy and the majority of posts ive read say that people really struggled with tht stage! will i feel the difference once my band is filled?? xx

Everyone is different and this is your journey. I too was fine with the liquid stage and was a bit scared if I'm honest moving onto mushies but I was fine and you will be too.

Do you know yet when you will get your first fill? you will feel different yes, as in less will keep you full for longer xx

Yes ur defo right tht everyone has a different journey through this im just scared to get it all wrong because i want to be successful so badly! My first band fill is 14th september they said they would do it a week earlier if i was feeling really hungry but so far im fine and feeling full after small amounts! I keep setting alarms on my phone to drink more water as im not used to drinking so much! U r really doing great i hope im as successful and knowledgable as u r once im into it all! Also i couldnt find sugar free cordial in asda maybe i was looking too hard lol so ive got robinsons no added sugar am i ok drinking this in with my daily water intake? Xx

Thanks hun x

I had my band in April 09 and didnt have a fill until September. I was booked in for one in July but didnt need it.

I think most cordials are sugar free now, I dont shop in asda often but all the ones I have brought from tesco are NAS - and yes its fine to drink them ;)

Not everyone counts calories either. I do, but that's just because that's what works for me in conjunction with the band. Just keep regular contact with your dietician and you will come up with a plan that works for you. Good luck :)

Not everyone counts calories either. I do, but that's just because that's what works for me in conjunction with the band. Just keep regular contact with your dietician and you will come up with a plan that works for you. Good luck :)

I think its the easiest way personaly, what would we do without myfitnesspal?! :D

Do you still count them Mazza? I was wondering if I should try to wean myself off my addiction OL

Yes and no lol - yes if Ive over indulged on a weekend an no or not so much if Ive been good and have been to gym enough!

Thanks hun, im glad tht my cordial is ok to have as plain water could begin to bore me to tears. ive joined myfitnesspal today so gives me summat to look at etc .. looking forward to getting started with it all now xxx

I've been given my info for when I reach this stage (I had my band fitted yesterday) and for this stage I have a suggested list of . .

protein list - 3 items per day
~ Weight to go Shake
~ 1 soft runny scambled egg
~ 1 or 2 tbsp pureed chicken, tofu, quorn or minced lamb/beef with small amount of gravy to puree.
~ 1 -2 tbsp of soft fish mashed to flakes
~ 1 small plain yoghurt

Carb list ~ 3 items per day
~ 1/2 to 1 weetabix with skimmed milk
~ 1-3 tbsp ready brek or porridge
~ 1-2 tbs mashed potato
~ 200 ml thick soup

Fruit and Veg list ~ 3 per day
~ 1-2 tbs pureed or mashed veg (fresh, frozen or tinned)
~ 1-2 tbs stewed/pureed fruit
~ smoothie with 2 fruit portions and 150ml juice/milk
~ 1 inch slice of very ripe melon
~ 1 x 250 ml fruit juice

the nurse I saw this morning also said, puree veg more so than potato if you're struggling to eat amounts as it is better than the carbs.

Don't know if this is of any help, but may give you some ideas,. I have found the book I was given by my provider excellent in its info and help, it doesnt focus on calories, but these portions which can often help in the early stages.

Thanku top kat

i was literally on fluids only for 10 days post op and now am starting on puree but i need to start trying new things ive always stuck to the same foods as im really picky i dont eat much veg but am trying my best to try new things now ive got my band in. my dietician got back to me last nite and she has said that at the minute 400-500 calories a day will aid weight loss but longer term i should be aiming for 1000 she has made an appointment for 24/9 ive been doing my own diary since 1st august so going to take tht to her and she can guide me from that. thankyou ladies uve helped a lot and feel a lot more happier and in control today. hope you are well : ) xxx

Sounds like a good plan :) one of the things they've kept saying to me now is to keep a food diary, it helps them to identify any problem areas in the future, but also helps to keep ourselves accountable and really watch what we are doing, with the tip, fill it in after 10 mins when you've eaten, not at the end of the day lol

It is difficult if you're limited on things you can have thro things you like etc but hopefully you will find something. I brought some ready brek for when I get onto that stage, but the only problem will be is eating it without sugar LOL

Yea it will be nice to read thru at the end of it all too once ur at ur goal weight ive been writing each days mood n how im feeling etc : ) thanks ill take note of ur tip as afta havin surgery i didnt fill it in for a few days then had to sit there and try rethink it all! Ye i kno wot ur saying about ready brek it tastes so weird without sugar wnt b so bad once im a bit further down the line coz cud add raisins etc into it for sweetness : ) xxx

Plenty of milky coffees to up the protein :)

Just try and stop me with the milky coffees haha love them just getting used to not havin 2 big sugars in them : / not as bad as i thought though to be honest! Really enjoying horlicks light too as my nighttime drink : ) xxx

I too was banded in the 14th, where did you go? I'm with WLS and I'm not allowed mushy till 2 weeks... :-( counting down the hours now... lol
Iv got a review appointment on the 11th Sept but my fill isn't booked until October... got to do it on will power till then!!
It's nice to have someone on here at the same point as me... how are you getting on with your weight loss? X

Hi rose : )

Ye its nice to know that somebody is at the same point as me. I had mine done at the spire hospital in manchester, im not quite sure when my 1st fill is someone called the other day and asked if i wanted to have it the 14th september but have since had a call saying my consultant has had to cancel so will get bk to me with another date! I did the liquids for 10 days n now 4 days into puree think i preferred fluids tho not as many decisions to make haha! How have u been feeling since surgery? I havent weighed myself yet im going to wait til i go bk on 24th sep so hopefully i will get a nice surprise on how much ive lost! How are u getting on? Have u weighed yet? Xxx

Yeah I couldn't wait... lol! Lost a stone pre op and a stone in my first week... I am really pleased but also very aware it won't be that good all the time...
Iv generally been ok had a few bad days after trying to do to much so spent the last few days taking it easy and I'm doing great now! Iv found liquids quite hard and am dreaming of scrambled egg now but I think I'm going to phase into it as like you I'm a bit unsure of the choices we have! I'm getting very full after a slim fast or half a carton of soup and I'm really enjoying eating through need rather than boredom or habit.
I had mine done at bmi Alexandra in cheadle so not far from you! You'll have to keep me posted with your mushy foods as your a few days in front so I can steal your ideas lol...!!
How are your scars healing?? Wendy x

Back