• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Calories?

minxie

Hi everyone, Happy New Year!

I just wondered whether anyone's nutritionist or surgeon had indicated what our daily calorie intake should be? Mine seems a bit reluctant to be prescriptive about it and is happy with a slow loss of 4-7lbs per month - but I want more lol!

I have been losing really slowly lately and would like to tweak what I eat - not sure if I'm eating enough and therefore in starvation mode, or if I'm eating too much:confused:

To be honest I've been eating really badly this past 2 weeks but today is a new year and I am planning to get back on track and stop the bad snacks that have sneaked in over Christmas:( especially as the scales have gone up :eek: by 3lbs:cry:

So if anyone can give me any tips/clues then I'm all ears!

im not sure hun as im only on week 5 and only just started soft food stage... but how about going back to basics and concentrate on the protein and your fluid intake?

We are aiming for 1000-1200 calories per day by the time we are settled on solids so you won't necessarily be at that much yet, otherwise we are aiming for 60-100g protein a day.
List what you are eating on something like my fitness pal you'll need to set the limits to our limits rather than the default setting of 1200 a day. This will give you an idea of if you are getting enough protein as well as exactly what you are eating to help you assess whether you are eating the best you can for you & your weight loss.
We all lose at different rates so don't get sucked into thinking you should be losing at c or y rate that's why your dietitian is reluctant to set a level for you. Eat right eat healthily & within the safe limits & you'll lose at a rate your body is ok with. Exercise will help by burning calories but don't forget to log this as well so you don't under eat & go into starvation mode clinging onto the weight instead.

Thanks very much both of you.

Rayne, I thought I would concentrate on protein and make much more effort on fluid initake, sticking to NAS squash as much as possible.

Penelope I have just put in my menu today to myfitness pal! I only have about 800 cals so may be able to add a snack tonight. My planned menu today is:

Breakfast
2 eggs with 2 slices of ham (couldn't manage it all)

Lunch
22g cheese with 4 cheese melts

Dinner
4oz roasted pork
dessert spoon red cabbage
half a roasted carrot
quarter of a roasted parsnip

Snacks
Mug of milky coffee
Sachet of nescafe caramel latte

Cals=846 Protein=57g

Do you think this sounds ok?

Oh forgot to mention that I've taken the bathroom scales and put them away under the bed - wont be able to just jump on them now lol. I'm going to try and only weigh myself every 2-4 weeks:eek:

I'm becoming a bit obsessed with them and worrying about my weight too much:(

when you go on fitness pal..how many calories should i put in... im on week five soft food stage? i just want to see if im getting enough protin too

I'd suggest 600-800 a day gradually building to the 1000-1200 by the time your settled on solids & a normal diet.
But as long as you feel ok concentrate more on the protein intake than calories to start with that's more important to protect your muscles from wastage.
Minxie sounds good to me try mixing in some yoghurt low fat of course or 0% fage Greek yoghurt with some puréed fruit or drained tinned fruit in juice. Increases your vitamins with the fruit & a good protein hit without to many calories.

I keep my fitness pal set at 1000 but tend to have circa 800 per day x

ive given up trying to work out fitness pal, but may have another later down the line... im only 5 weeks post op so its probably too soon to be counting calories when i need to be concentrating on potein and fluids xx

Interesting post...I feel the same way, am I eating too much or too little?! I am 6 months post bypass, would say I am not very active so how many calories do I need?

I am 6 months post bypass, would say I am not very active so how many calories do I need?
When I saw my dietician at about six months out, she told me to aim for 1200 calories as ideal, but to try and make sure I had at least 1000 each day. She also explained that it was important to get some type of exercise each day.

I would think that these figures would apply to anyone that's had a bypass.

Same rules apply, i.e protein first then the rest of the food.

Back