• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

does everyone who has a bypass loss a stone a month in 1st year???

pmkmrm

hi i was told by dietician that the average weight loss for bypassers in 1st year is a stone a month. is this true? my eating is not very good at the moment and i need to get my act together to eat more regular and add more protein etc...
i seem to be loosing amount 2/3 pounds a week at the moment could i loose more if i ate more and at regular times i am eating very little has my body gone into starvation mode? or is this weight loss ok?? am i going to be the one who looses only half a stone a month mind you even that is fantastic for me i couldn't even lose an ounce pre op:D
thanks kate

It varies hugely - I was told that during the first three/four months your weight loss is at its most rapid and then it slows down. Depends on age, size, amount of exercise you do etc but you do have to eat more and build up on protein or you will get ill. Its so hard I know - I have to force myself to eat anything but force I do. Another source of protein according to my hospital dietitian are minimilks by Walls - I only have one a day if I fancy it and they go down a treat.

People 'can' lose this much, but would somebody who's 16 stone lose 12 stone still?

It all depends on how big you are to start with and what you eat, motabolism, exercise etc etc!

As the 1000 people from 'Life of Brian' all said together

"We are all individuals"

I have managed about a stone a month for the last 9 months. I say 'about' because the first three months I lost faster like 3-4lbs/week, the second 3 months I lost about 2-3lbs/week and the last 3 months it has varied from .5, 1 or 2lbs per week. I have lost 123lbs in 9 months which is 3lbs short of 9stone. I am now 10lbs away from 'healthy' BMI so the pounds are much slower coming off now which is why I am focusing on exercise & carb control to get me to goal.

Hi Kate

I agree with Caroline. It varies person to person depending on your metabolism, amount of weight to loose and food choices e.g. protein eaten etc. The average weight loss applies more to approximately 6 months for most people then it tails off. However as with all averages some people don't make this figure and some exceed it. I think it was Mintball who posted only a while ago that she had her op in January and has lost 59lbs and at present is loosing about 4lbs per month. Also most people loose a lot in the first month immediately post op which skews the average. I'm 4 months out and have lost 61lbs and currently am loosing 2lbs per week just over half a stone per month. If I carry on like that I will have lost 84lbs or 6 stone at 6 months but not at a stone per month as I lost 2 stones in 2 weeks at the very beginning then none for 3 weeks.

You will find Nic a great source of help with all this type of thing and I'm sure she will pop in and give you advice. You do need to eat regularly and concentrate on protein and fluids. If you find it difficult to get your 80gs of protein from food then add in a protein shot. They aren't nice but think of it as medicine hold your nose and swallow!!

I'm always worrying I'm not loosing fast enough but am trying not to and following Nic and Shel's advice to not let itmess with my head.

Good luck

M

I lost 7lbs last week and 1lb this week - its totally up and down and as long as its coming off then I dont care how long it takes! (well I do but having lost 5 1/2 stone in 4 months I think Im doing ok!)

If I lost 1 stone every month for a year then there will be nothing left of me! :D

If I were to lose a stone a month for the first yer I'd end up two and a half stone!!!!

Like nic my weight loss has slowed as time has gone on but based on 112 lbs (8stone) over 9 months (32weeks) on average i have lost 3.5lbs so that equates to 1stone every 4 weeks.
Everyone is so individual and i have had weeks where i havent lost anything but the following week had a good loss but i never get down about it as its not all about weigt loss invariably the weeks i didnt loose any weight i lost size and i have just realise that for every pound i have lost i have lost an inch as overall based on 9 measurments i have lost 113inches. OMG

I've lost 8.5 stones since my op in 6 months, and 11.5 overall since October so I am a bit in front, but Mine has slowed to a couple of pounds a week on average now.

Im coming up to 4 months post op, and coming up to losing 4 stones. Mine was sooo slow at first...nothing in the first month or so, then 2 stone in a month...very random, but as above....everyone is different xx

Short answer is absolutely not.

I'm 3 months post op and losing 7 pounds a month (if that). More like a pound a week.

I aked Anna our bariatric nurse this very question this week. She said that a lot of patients vary depending on start weight, gender, age etc. But they do expect their patients to lose around five stones in the first three months. After that it slows down and as long as they are still losing then not to worry about the speed it comes off.

If I lost 1 stone every month for a year then there will be nothing left of me! :D

well i'll be ok then, would take me 2 1/2 years to waste away to nothing at a stone a month :eek:

I have lost around 2 stone in the last 2 months. My consultant has said that he expects my weight loss to be relatively slow as I have rheumatoid arthritis and limited mobility.
Before the op I would have been happy to lose 1lb a month!!!
I am not in a rush!!
Pauline
:D

Back