• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Can finally afford WLS... but should I :(

Anon1986

So, I'll do a quick bio:

Age 25
Male
BMI 45-46 depending what mood my bodies in...

I've been overweight for years, but since around 2007/2008 my body has climbed to 21stone and I need to turn my life around. If I'm honest I've never truly stuck to a diet regime for longer than a few weeks. I lose weight but then either my willpower cripples or I just fail. My thinking behind WLS would be to force myself into a new life style. Not only the benefit of having the operation towards weight loss and maintaining the dropped weight but also the force of knowing what I put my body through and how much I spent on the task. I'm sure in myself that a Gastric Wrap would help me turn my life around, but I also fear going for one.

Not sure what I'm hoping for in replies, maybe that getting the Wrap would be the right choice for me. After a fair bit of research I'm sure I'd prefer the Wrap over the Band. I'd hate for my body to reject the band.

I'm also planning to use an overseas company.
I've been looking at CosmeticBliss and PragueBeuaty. I have enough for CosmeticBliss prices, however I cannot find a difference between what they offer. Apart from the £3800 vs £4995 prices. I do get a more comforting feeling from the CosmeticBliss reviews I have read though.

Well, that's my introduction and ramblings over with.

well I am going for the wrap with body beautiful on 13th February in Prague. I had all the thoughts that you are having and it has taken me 6 years to make the move. When I first considered WLA it would have been the band but then I was recommended the sleeve. Of course, I am told that the wrap is safer for me. I have been so long overweight I need to get it done as no other method has worked for me in the long term

Hi good luck ;)

Anon1986 said:
So, I'll do a quick bio:

Age 25
Male

I've been overweight for years, but since around 2007/2008 my body has climbed to 21stone and I need to turn my life around. If I'm honest I've never truly stuck to a diet regime for longer than a few weeks. I lose weight but then either my willpower cripples or I just fail. My thinking behind WLS would be to force myself into a new life style. Not only the benefit of having the operation towards weight loss and maintaining the dropped weight but also the force of knowing what I put my body through and how much I spent on the task. I'm sure in myself that a Gastric Wrap would help me turn my life around, but I also fear going for one.

Not sure what I'm hoping for in replies, maybe that getting the Wrap would be the right choice for me. After a fair bit of research I'm sure I'd prefer the Wrap over the Band. I'd hate for my body to reject the band.

I've been looking at CosmeticBliss and PragueBeuaty. I have enough for CosmeticBliss prices, however I cannot find a difference between what they offer. Apart from the £3800 vs £4995 prices. I do get a more comforting feeling from the CosmeticBliss reviews I have read though.

Hey I'm not too sure what the wrap is? But I'm only 22 I've been overweight my whole teenage life and have tried everything! I'm now about 6 stone heavier than you so have to have the bypass for it to work and give me all the benefits but I feel its my only way out of this if you feel this is going to turn your life around and give you the confidence to live the way you want as well as improving your health I say go for it! And even better if you can pay for it as you can get it done a lot quicker where as I'm going to have to wait 6-8 loooong months! .... do what's going to be best for your health (mental and physical) xxx

Sent from my HTC Hero using WLSurgery

I think the common thing with all of us going through weight loss surgery is that we all have lost weight multiple times. We have all tried every diet and failed. It sounds like it would be great for you! Until you decide, this is a great way to get all the information you need. Everyone on here is full of knowledge and experience. good luck to you!

So, I'll do a quick bio:

Age 25
Male

I am having wrap next Tues, fly out Sun 15th. I chose Cosmetic Bliss because of all the fabulous reviews, you will find not a single one that its negative.

They are based in the UK for all the 2yrs aftercare & support, the package offers insurance flights hotel transfers etc. And I also like the fact that the husband & wife team that front the company spend their time with you whilst you are in the hospital.

I would call them for an informal chat, speak to both providers and then make your decision.

:)

Ive just turned 24, i had my bypass in september 2010. Its the best thing ive ever done.

Do what you need and want to do. Take no notice of anyone questioning you. Its your life, live it, you only get 1 chance.

Good luck for your surgery xxx

I am having wrap next Tues, fly out Sun 15th. I chose Cosmetic Bliss because of all the fabulous reviews, you will find not a single one that its negative.

They are based in the UK for all the 2yrs aftercare & support, the package offers insurance flights hotel transfers etc. And I also like the fact that the husband & wife team that front the company spend their time with you whilst you are in the hospital.

I would call them for an informal chat, speak to both providers and then make your decision.

wow you are nearly there and I am not far behind you. Just received my final itinery and flying out on 12th Feb

Have you tried funding on the NHS. The after care is superb.

I tried previously, around 2008. At BMI 45 I wouldn't be allowed any help, not even Xenical, unless I attend a weight less group therapy sort of thing for 6 months. I'm an insanely shy and withdrawn person, I couldn't cope with the 6months group therapy.

I'm not rich but I don't really care about my money too much, easy come easy go I guess. So the financial cost isn't worrying me much. Will take me another 3-4 months to save for my care if I purchase WLS. But since I work from home and I live on a major bus route then who cares :).

With CosmeticBliss how long was it until you heard back? I've sent off my consultation form a week or 2 ago but am yet to hear back. I've tried phoning twice but I just get the answer phone.

-edit

Mind it is half 12 in Prague, so i'll phone after 1/2. They might be at lunch.

Last edited:
I tried previously, around 2008. At BMI 45 I wouldn't be allowed any help, not even Xenical, unless I attend a weight less group therapy sort of thing for 6 months. I'm an insanely shy and withdrawn person, I couldn't cope with the 6months group therapy.

I'm not rich but I don't really care about my money too much, easy come easy go I guess. So the financial cost isn't worrying me much. Will take me another 3-4 months to save for my care if I purchase WLS. But since I work from home and I live on a major bus route then who cares :).

With CosmeticBliss how long was it until you heard back? I've sent off my consultation form a week or 2 ago but am yet to hear back. I've tried phoning twice but I just get the answer phone.

-edit

Mind it is half 12 in Prague, so i'll phone after 1/2. They might be at lunch.

I was lucky - I filled out my forms on Sat morning and got a call on the Monday morning.

Just leave another message, I know Debs was having some surgery after Xmas & they were in the Czech Rep this week although I think Michael is in the UK.

Dont forget to have a look at their FaceBook page if you want to speak with other patients for testimonials.

Good luck :)

I was lucky - I filled out my forms on Sat morning and got a call on the Monday morning.

Just leave another message, I know Debs was having some surgery after Xmas & they were in the Czech Rep this week although I think Michael is in the UK.

Dont forget to have a look at their FaceBook page if you want to speak with other patients for testimonials.

Good luck :)

I fired off an email around half 1 today and Michael phoned me about 4 ish :).

They where just a bit behind with the surgeon viewing medical forms, holidays and such. Had a good talk, I pretty much silently nodded through it but I got some great information and it definitely made me feel better about my choices. Feel a lot more comfortable about going ahead with the surgery now, and about which surgery I want.

After talking with Michael and viewing even more research data online I can definitely say the Wrap is for me over the Band, I also think CB will be the preferred company, regardless of the £1200 price difference :)

Anon1986 said:
I fired off an email around half 1 today and Michael phoned me about 4 ish :).

They where just a bit behind with the surgeon viewing medical forms, holidays and such. Had a good talk, I pretty much silently nodded through it but I got some great information and it definitely made me feel better about my choices. Feel a lot more comfortable about going ahead with the surgery now, and about which surgery I want.

After talking with Michael and viewing even more research data online I can definitely say the Wrap is for me over the Band, I also think CB will be the preferred company, regardless of the £1200 price difference :)

Exactly the same as me!!!!! :) the rest'll b plain sailing now you've made yr decision - well done !!! Feel free to ask me anything you like about processes, trip & experience in general :) :)

The Endoscopy worries me more than the actual damn surgery :s.

Hate the idea of an Endoscopy.

Seems I shall be attending on the 13th of Feb :)

Few things worry me still, mainly 2 things.

Endoscopy... enough said
Nausea - I've not thrown up for literally 6 years or so, seems no matter how ill, or drunk, I get I never seem to explode into lovely smelling vomit.

Strangely the surgery isn't bothering me, although I've never had surgery and only been in hospital once in my life when I was 7. So perhaps I will be terrified nearer the date, or after I pay on Monday and set it in stone :/

Good luck and you seem to have all the right things in place for successful surgery :) positive thinking is a main part of the losing process afterwards and i'm sure you have plenty of that x

Seems I shall be attending on the 13th of Feb :)

Few things worry me still, mainly 2 things.

Endoscopy... enough said
Nausea - I've not thrown up for literally 6 years or so, seems no matter how ill, or drunk, I get I never seem to explode into lovely smelling vomit.

Strangely the surgery isn't bothering me, although I've never had surgery and only been in hospital once in my life when I was 7. So perhaps I will be terrified nearer the date, or after I pay on Monday and set it in stone :/

Congratulations :)
Michael will pass you email addresses for 'recent experiences' so you can speak with other ppl....Again I have done this & all I hear is fantastic review after review.....

APPARENTLY, you dont remember the endoscopy as you are heavily sedated, and you have the anesthetic throat spray - I was told not to worry. ALSO, the vomiting isnt actually being sick, I have been told its more like seasickness & the sick is foam (iykwim).....!

Like you the surgery hasnt bothered me in the slightest, I dont fear death as I have no intention of dying - wierd I guess but like you its the endoscopy and puking that played on my mind. I havent had time to worry, its come round sooooooooo quickly from start to finish, I was a work today til lunchtime and have a load to do today to get ready etc

APPARENTLY, you dont remember the endoscopy as you are heavily sedated, and you have the anesthetic throat spray - I was told not to worry. ALSO, the vomiting isnt actually being sick, I have been told its more like seasickness & the sick is foam (iykwim)...

Never been seasick, I get the idea of foam though. Just liquid and mucus etc, which is good. Makes sense considering you don't eat before the op and have liquids after.

I had an endoscopy a few years ago and i don't remember anything. Just going to sleep and waking up. don't worry! I didn't throw up either. Maybe they do things different over there. Not sure, but it was easy! We don't have to do endoscopy for bypass here...
Clare, you leave today right?

Back