• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Advice re private WLS

Loll, I'd love to hear more about your situation... or from anyone of course who can tell me more about why this was a cheaper option and why/how it was part-NHS funded.

Can anyone tell me if this were to be an option, would I still need to meet the criteria for my local PCT? As Hampshire has a guideline of a BMI 60+, which I don't think I meet, it's a lot higher than everywhere else. Obviously, if I could get a part funded operation this could make all the difference!!

12k sounds like a lot of money and considering you will only get 12 months aftercare would worry me a little - Its just my opinion but if i were you i'd be looking at an organisation as others have suggested, they have to all remain competative with one an other, and i'd look for a longer aftercare package, as an example my op was 10.5k, i had one of the best surgeons in the business and have a 2 year aftercare package, plus the hospitals they use are BMI anyway - going direct to BMI may be the more expensive way of going about this ! - just my opinion though !

One other thing that concerns me is your mental state and that of your family, to me it sounds like your family are very anti you having any sort of procedure, without the support of close family members you are going to find this very difficult, its not impossible and others do manage, but it sounds to me like your fairly close to your Mum, therefore you need her support to do this ! - if i were in your shoes i'd do all the research about the procedure, stats and figures and what the op will offer you long term, then pin them down and ask what there problem really is, it may be that they are concerned about you going under the knife ? without help and support it will be a harder road to travel alone !

best of luck with your journey

I have a friend who paid privately with SHaw Sommers and she has had amazing results. She weighed more then me pre op and was done three months after me.....she in now 12 stone and looks amazing. She cant sing his praises enough and even though she travelled from the west midlands to see him she says its all 100% worth it! He is one of the surgeons i was going to recommend to you.

Good luck

Emma
x

Hi again
It isn't NHS funded in any part it is private BUT you don't stay in a private room you stay in a ward with NHS patients if you want a private room you have to pay the extra the difference is about £1500 which is a big difference and as I said before I didn't want to be shut away alone infact the patience from the private rooms came into the ward for a chat. I am really pleased with my results had my op on 17th September 08. I started at 17stone 10 pounds and weigh in yesterday was 12 stone 8 pounds. I was really well straight after the op and have been since, but everyone is different. I can still eat anything except rice including chocolate BUT the difference is moderation 1 quality street not 1 tin. Felt the cold really badley and felt a little down over the past few weeks BUT someone suggested eating a banana every day as they thought my seritonin level was too low and it works a treat. Shaw Sommers and his team are great. The standard of care at St Richard's is outstanding I can honestly say the whole experience was very positive. If you are going private with Shaw you can have your op very quickly, I could have had mine in a matter of weeks but had already booked my holiday so waited until after.

Your story sounds a little like my own. My mum is very anti procedure, due to the worry of me going under anaestheric and the knife. She also cant understand me 'wasting' £7500 on myself and views it as vain. I have stood up to her and told her its made me loose 2stone already and Im much happier. My joints dont hurt every morning and the happier me has made my 2 kids much happier too. They love watching me laugh again.

If you want to do it, do it for you and dont listen to the negatives your mum is pointing out to you. Go with the surgeon you feel most confidant with and reap the rewards. Take care R x

Back