• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Advice re private WLS

WYDSIWYG

Hey guys,

Totally new here, just found the site this morning whilst trying to find information regarding private WLS. My biggest question is regarding GPs and referrals etc... do you need a referral if you go private, is it as hard as it seems to get said referral if you do etc?

I've been considering a gastric bypass for some time but I just don't know how well I'd cope if I had to go to my GP only to be told I'm going to have to do another diet under supervision - I've dieted before, alone, tried loads of them, only been advised once by a GP for a specific diet and when I returned to say it wasn't working I basically got told I should stop cheating, ( I WASN'T!!). It was so destroying, now I just don't have what it takes anymore, I can't stick to a diet to save my life because they never seem to work.

I'm just about to turn 27, I'm 5'7" and tbh I'm not even sure how much I weigh anymore, 18 months ago I was around 24stone but have gone up 2-3 dress sizes since then so I dread to think :cry:I'm a size 30/32 now. I also have PCOS.

I honestly believe that WLS is the right choice for me, I've put it off some up till now because frankly I'm a coward :sigh: but now I know that it's time to stop being stupid and start thinking about my future.

Sorry for the rambling message, I'm tired and my heads not working quite right yet lol, I just basically wanted to know if anyone has any experience with going private without a GP referral, (especially in the Hampshire area), and could give me some advice!!

Looking forward to some replies, good or bad...have at it!

Hi,

No, you don't need a GP referral for private surgery. They may want to access some of your medical records but thats generally through the hospitals. You would just need to research different companies and make an appointment for a consultation with whomever you choose.

From what you've posted you would probably qualify for NHS surgery, but how easy it would be to get would depend on your PCT.

Hi and welcome!
It does sound as though your BMI if over 50 and so (according to the NICE guidelines) you should qualify as a first option for help with weight loss. Sadly, your PCT seems to apply a BMI of over 60 which would mean you would need to weighing approx 27 1/2 stone. Are you diabetic or have blood pressure etc? That would push you up the list.
Lxx

Hi all,

thanks for the replies. As far as I know I don't have diabetes and last time I had my blood pressure checked it came out normal, upper normal, but normal all the same. I know I've heard in the past that our PCT is notoriously hard to get WLS with, a friend of my sisters waited 4 1/2 years and took 5 appeals before getting funding for a gastric band. :( That's why I've felt that maybe going private is my best option. It's a huge decision and like I've said before I'm fairly cowardly, even with the things I know are the right choice, so I guess part of it is a fear of having to wait and then just changing my mind and carrying on killing myself like this.

Can anyone make any recommendations for where to start looking for reputable private places? I mean when I think private I think Bupa but are there alternatives? How do you know the company you're looking at isn't dodgy in some way? This is my life, not something I want to take too many risks with...ironically, given how I've abused it so far :(

I'm trying to think of questions, I have a million, but my head's gone blank! Nothing new there then lol!

Hi I went privately with the weight loss surgery group, I choose my surgeon (you do have a choice!) Robert Acroyd at the Thornbury Hospital in Sheffield. I would highly recommend the company and the surgeon and Im pretty sure others would recomend them both as well!
From meeting them to the op was a total of three weeks, and I have 24hr line to qualified nurse for the next two years, as well as regular meetings with her and a dietician.
I didnt have a problam with my gp after the surgery ( I just saved them thousands!) but it would be an idea to have a word with him/her before the op as they will be providing some of your aftercare (b12 vit injections, blood test etc)
Not sure where abouts you are in the country but there are some fab surgeons out there and a couple of really good companies.

Thank you Caroline, that was very helpful info and it also just made me think of a few more questions...

On average, how much "aftercare" comes with a private surgery? I know that is something that's going to vary greatly, but does there seem to be an average amount?

Also, after a surgery like a gastric bypass, I know things like having to take vitamins etc for life, but I just learnt on another thread that those who have had a bypass can't take NSAID's orally? So what other things are there that you can and can't do? You mentioned vitamin b12 injections and blood tests, is that a short term post-op thing or long term?

Here is another question - was just looking at the WLSGroup website and under their criteria I noticed the following:

Demonstrate that all appropriate and available non-surgical measures have been adequately tried but have failed to maintain weight loss.

Demonstrate how? This is one of my main concerns, *I* know I've tried, *I* know I've done so many diets I could write a book and *I* know that they don't work but how do I prove that? Will I be required to prove that or is telling them my history with dieting enough? How many "appropriate and available non-surgical measures" are considered "all"? I asked for years to be referred to a dietician/nutritionist and they wouldn't give me a referral I heard excuses from 'the waiting list is too long' to 'I don't think you'd benefit' so support from my doctor was fairly low...even when he recommended Atkins it was so 'come back in a month or so and we'll chat again', there was no support there and when I returned for help and got accused of cheating I just didn't bother going back about it and he never mentioned it again. :( I'm worried things like this will have screwed up my chances...

Sorry for all the questions, I have so many and they're coming back to me slowly!

Just took the first plunge and spoke to my mother about my thoughts on WLS, she is one of the hardest people to approach because she is totally obsessed with weight loss and is the main reason behind most of my self-esteem issues. I knew she wouldn't be supportive but she's been throwing money at me recently for home improvements and it might sound terrible to other people but I wanted to approach her about it because to be quite honest, I'd rather have a future than a fitted wardrobe, new carpets and the bedroom redecorated...

I was faced with a lot of negativity as expected, then the disgust that I would even need WLS...from the woman who told me I looked like I weighed 35stone in front of my sister, neice and nephew I don't know why she's so shocked. It humiliated me in front of my family and now she's doing the "Don't be ridiculous, you don't need that" thing. Well alternating between that and "I'm disgusted that a child of mine is as fat as you".

Anyway, I tried to keep my calm and I explain myself and she listened a little, she at least agreed that it is worth starting to make some concrete enquiries. I've been looking at BMI Healthcare - I was aware that the have a hospital about 10-15mins from me and I was also aware that a surgeon I really admire, (Mr Shaw Somers), works with them sometimes so I started looking into them. The hospital up the road still exists and Mr Somers is indeed one of the listed consultants...They also do what's known as the BMI Card, kind of like a credit card, so I'm going to have a long chat with them about the money side.

Does anyone have any experience with BMI Healthcare, good or bad I'd like to hear more!

Hi and welcome to mini's!! :welcome2:
I had my gastric bypass done one month ago yesterday, and I went privately to have mine done too.
I went with healthier weight because I have been struggling with my weight for years and when I was 16 I went to healthier weight and saw Dr.Ashton and did a milkshake diet. I like you have tried every diet under the sun and am now 22 and was at a point where if I did not have this surgery done, I would just keep putting on more weight, so had this surgery as a last resort.
Dr.Ashton is a leading expert in obesity, he is very passionate about it. I went back to see him about having this surgery done, and he agreed that it was a positive thing for me.
I had my operation at the Alexandra Hopsital in Cheadle, Manchester, which is a BMI hospital and Mr.Amorri did my operation. He is a fantastic surgeon, very caring and approachable. The hospital was lovely, and all of the nurses where totally brilliant.
Healthier weight offer fantastic after-care, they say once you are a patient you are a patient for life, so the after-care never runs out. Dr.Ashton believes follow ups and the support groups are very important in your weight loss journey. There is also a 24hour phone line, so there is always someone at the end of the phone. I would definatley recommend going with them.
Here is the link anyway;,
Weight Loss Clinic UK - Obesity Surgery, Gastric Band Surgery & Weight Loss Programmes (Programs) - Healthier Weight
Good luck anyway!!
:party0011: Xxx Lizzie xxX
:party0011:

I will concour with Uglyduck - i too went with Healthier Weight and have the same consultant and had the same surgeon as her, all done privately, i'm now just over 4 months post op and i'd recommend healthier weight and Dr Ashton to anyone thinking of taking the private route ! Like yourself i didn't want to wait or go through the hassle of the NHS process, as money wasn't an issue my only concern was for the sugeons abilities and the after care package i'd recieve. Lots of the ladies here have had there op done by Basil Ammori, so he's not unknown.

Taking the decision to go through with the op is the hardest thing you will have to do, and you have to make that decision for yourself, i was lucky enough to have good support from my immidiate family, but the decision was still mine and i didn't tell anyone really until i'd made the decision.

Good luck with your search

Hi!

I could recommend two surgeons for you both of which are considered the best in the country, both of which work on the NHS and privately and take on people who are classed as difficult cases due to health and weight, mainly because they are so good at what they do.

Where abouts are you in the country as that may be a deciding factor.

Im a bit of a WLS bore so if you want to know anything just pm me or post and i will do what i can to help.

Good luck

Emma
x

Hi all, to answer the question as to where I am in the UK, I'm in Hampshire. Obviously given that I'll be coming home from major surgery I don't neccessarily want to go too far from home - I had heard of a local private hospital and it was pure coincidence really that BMI Healthcare own the hospital, it was even greater coincidence that Mr Somers does some work there, I actually thought he was only based in Chichester. That's not to say that I'm not open to suggestions and information about other surgeons and companies. I took a look at Healthier Weight, briefly, but I think the closest to me would be London and that's still a good couple of hours away...having had surgery in the past and knowing that I have the worst pain threshold ever, (gallbladder removal and appendix removal ops had me crying :( ), I will admit I don't relish the thought of 2 hours driving to get home. Not without a healthy supply of morphine anyway lol!

The more information and tips you can all give me is awesome, I've taken the cowards route out of this for so long - and don't get me wrong, after eating some dinner tonight even then I found myself questioning if I could give up as much as I'd be giving up...but I know that my unhealthy relationship with food is one of the largest parts of the reasoning behind why I need to do this, I really do feel that this is the right choice...no matter how petrified of it I am! Does that make sense?

Hi all, to answer the question as to where I am in the UK, I'm in Hampshire. Obviously given that I'll be coming home from major surgery I don't neccessarily want to go too far from home - I had heard of a local private hospital and it was pure coincidence really that BMI Healthcare own the hospital, it was even greater coincidence that Mr Somers does some work there, I actually thought he was only based in Chichester. That's not to say that I'm not open to suggestions and information about other surgeons and companies. I took a look at Healthier Weight, briefly, but I think the closest to me would be London and that's still a good couple of hours away...having had surgery in the past and knowing that I have the worst pain threshold ever, (gallbladder removal and appendix removal ops had me crying :( ), I will admit I don't relish the thought of 2 hours driving to get home. Not without a healthy supply of morphine anyway lol!

The more information and tips you can all give me is awesome, I've taken the cowards route out of this for so long - and don't get me wrong, after eating some dinner tonight even then I found myself questioning if I could give up as much as I'd be giving up...but I know that my unhealthy relationship with food is one of the largest parts of the reasoning behind why I need to do this, I really do feel that this is the right choice...no matter how petrified of it I am! Does that make sense?

I had my op done at the Alexandra in Cheadle ( Manchester) and travelled up from the south east coast for it, the Alex is a BMI hospital and i went that far because i had faith in the surgeon !
Like yourself i was worried about the travelling back, but to be honest it was no problem, i had my op on Saturday afternoon and was on the train back to London Monday morning, in fact i eaven managed to log on and post on the forum from the train :D - they gave me pain killers but to be honest other than a little discomfort i had no real pain at all !

I have no experience of Shaw Summers other than what i've seen on the TV, but others here have seen him and say he's good, the best advise anyone can give you here is to do your research, look at the after care package your going to be getting, consider the hospital you'll be staying at, and then go for your OWN choice !

Good luck !

Hi,

There was a thread a while ago on Bypass costs/providers, you can see it at http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/63575-cost-private-pass.html

Post op, you can get care from your provider, or from a seperate provider, it's up to you :) Mostly that happens with banders who go for a cheap package that doesn't include aftercare in the first place, but there is provision for bypassers too.

Post op you will be on liquid meds for a few months, after that you can take normal pills. You're right on the NSAIDs, like ibuprofen, but there are lots of alternatives available from the pharmacist or your gp. I find that paracetemol deals with my pain now when I used to be on di-hydra codeine so I don't need the stronger stuff (thats not bypass related pain).

You'll need b12 injections every 3 months, which your gp arranges. You'll also be on vitamins, minerals, iron, and calcium for life. Again, all available on prescription (I got a pre-payment card which has saved me a fortune). Initially post op you'll have to self administer heparin injections into your tummy for 5 days - 2 weeks depending on your surgeon. Some people have a loved one do it for them, and some are complete wusses like me and trek to the walk in clinic daily to have them administered by someone qualified!

HTH

Shel

You may not have B12 injections, nor have to supplement iron. It depends on your surgeon as they all have different idea's. My surgeon prefers us to have 6 monthly blood and then only if you need them you have B12 injections and/or extra iron.

I had my op at the Spire Southampton and can't fault them.

Well I phoned BMI this evening for some more information and there is an email winging its way to me. I've had to battle with my mother again, I'm quite proud of myself so far, she keeps starting all the negative stuff but she's not quite managing to knock me down yet.

Bit of a shame though that BMI as from the 1st Jan are going to charge £100 for their first appointment - it used to be a free, no obligation appointment which was a big draw because I thought if I get there and it all goes bosoms up and I scream and run for the hills, well at least it won't have cost me anything lol... bum!

The package is £11950 and includes 12 months aftercare...not that I found out what exactly "aftercare" entails...the woman was lovely on the phone but I think my internal panic button got hit and suddenly I just found myself saying "That's fine thank you" a lot when she suggested sending me details, rather than asking all the questions I had written down.

I looked into WLS a year ago but chickened out of course, this time though, it feels different, like this time I'm actually going to do it...well depending on finances :( It seems the money I've been offered for all the home improvements that I don't much need comes with an unwritten clause that states it must not be used for body improvements... in other words, get a fitted wardrobe or no money. Which is a big blow, in fact it might change the very possibility of being able to afford this. Money is tight, very tight and I did have the money available on my mortgage but a year ago I got very stupid and wasted it on someone I thought was worth it and now, now I'm sat here thinking 'you fool!' In hindsight, I remember laughing and thinking 'I'm gonna regret this' but did it anyway because love makes you do stupid things and when you finally think someone loves you back it makes you do monumentally stupid things but damn, it sure is a kick in the proverbials when you wake up one day and realise it was all for nothing.

God, listen to me being all philosophical... right...anyone got a spare 12k under the mattress? LOL!

I had my bypass completed by Shaw Sommers and although I live in London opted for Chichester. This is because it was much cheaper. £8150 including after care. You have to ask for the part NHS option but all that means is that you don't get a private room-anyway didn't want to be stuck in a room alone and those from the private rooms came into the open ward-only about 6 beds in there. Very happy with operation, aftercare and results.

Back