• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

can I ask a question please?

toofatkat

Hi
Ive not been on this part of the site before. Ive lost 3 stone with slimming world. then for the last 18 months Ive stayed the same weight. I've fluctuated between 15st 10lb and 16stone 3lb. I cannot get below that weight. I lose 1lb and the week after put on 2lb. there is nothing wrong with my diet at all. Ive even been to see a nutritionist with no improvement.
Im getting desperate. Ive got another 4 to 5 stone to lose (I'm 5ft 7). I need a knee replacement but I cant have one for about 10 years as my consultant insists that 42 is too young.
Anyway, Ive made an appointment to see my doc on Wednesday to see if he can suggest any reason for me staying the same weight for so long.
Do you think the gastric band is a good idea and will help?
when I look at people profiles there seems to be a long gap between the 'referred' date and the op date. Why is this? What goes on inbetween?

Hi

Your gp might be able to help with orlistat or similar tablets.

The reason for a long wait between being referred and op dates is generally appointments with the dieticians, phycologists anaesthetist etc so lots of checks etc then you have to lose a certain amount of weight to show your commitment. I beleive if you go private its alot quicker,

Good luck

I doubt the NHS will consider you as your BMI isn't high enough. I went privately in the end because the NHS changed the criteria (even though I'm diabetic). I have had the same issues as you - ie no matter how little I thought I ate I couldn't seem to shift the weight, so in the end I decided that a band wasn't for me and I needed something more drastic. I went for a bypass and so far in 4 and a half weeks (11 days pre-op and 3 weeks post-op) I have lost 19 lbs. Even that isn't coming off as fast as some others but I know it's permanent and there isn't any pfaffing around with fills, ports etc. I went to Belgium to have mine done through WLS - very happy so far!

lucy, i think it all depends on why you need the surgery, my bmi ws the same as kats, but i desperately need spinal surgery, and it was my surgeon who suggested a bypass, anyway, long story short, i gt fast tracked and from being referred by gp to surgery took a bit less than 9 months. im now in the process of arranging my spinal surgery, am having scans etc re done at the moment, so if kat needs to get the weight off to help her knee, they might consider it. mind you i know a lot of pct have changed criterias now, but youve got nothing to lose kat, go for it huni, they c an only say no. then its rethink time. good luck huni.
well done on your loss up to now lucy, youve done well huni. xx

Yes let's hope Kat's PCT isn't as mean as mine - I've had one hip replacement and have bursitis in the other and combined with diabetes and a BMI of 43 I thought that would have been enough but in the end it wasn't. Still I think it's worked out OK so far so good luck and we'll be right behind you whatever you decide.

gosh lucy, they are stingy arnt they huni, maybe i was lucky right place, right time, but i honestly think my spinal surgeon had something to do with it. but its not fair when other ppl have similar probs elsewhere and get turned down is it, they dont seem to look at individual problems, or it seems that way anyway. at least your sorted now, even if you did have to leave the country to get it.
maz how come it took you all that time huni, i thought it was about 18 months or so. gosh i didnt realise id been that lucky. big hugs to u all xx

thanks for the replies. Im not sure what I want to do myself at the minute. There seems to be so many side effects with Orlistat or similar, which I dont fancy. I guess I'll just see what he comes up with on Wednesday.
Good luck everyone,

Hi,

Orlisat only has side affects if you eat a high fat diet, which if as you say you have a good diet that's been checked by a nutritionist, shouldn't be a problem for you.

However, it should help rid you of the small amount of fat that you may be eating. It's surely got to be worth a go?

Also I found when I was on it that it rather focussed the mind and stopped me being tempted by higher fat foods as I didn't want the side affects........lol

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I hated the orlistat it didnt agree with me at all!! luckily the doc didnt make me stay on it long, but he had to put me on it as it ticked another box for referral

Hi, you seem to have the advice already from other members. With regard to your knees, I was diagnosed with OA when I was 25yrs old, but they would not give me knee replacements until 2yrs ago when I was 55yrs old. I had both replaced and never regretted it, the weight loss only complimented the results of both knee surgeries.
Just keep plugging away and you will get there eventually, just a shame we need to go through these problems to feel better & healthier! - Paul xx

Back