• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Can it still be working?

bypass but dont let that put you off - i am the black sheep!!

Never Jan - be proud of being a loser on the losers bench and together we'll get you through

ok ok - i am feeling sorry for myself - not re the food well no yes the food - your right i am slipping back into old habits and maybe a kick up the jacksy was what i needed so thanks! can you clarify the bit "about using there tool and losing massive amounts of weight get the food thing right" what tool do you mean.
I am struggling to stop those habits getting back and will make more effort- thanks xx

Jan - most of us refer to either our bypass or band a 'a tool' because thats exactly what it is, the re plumbing your surgeon did will only work to a degree, you have to really work with it to make the loses you want, and as you get further post op the harder it gets to lose the weight, and its at this point the lifestyle and dietry changes your going to make now will start to pay off.

Please believe me when i say i'll help anyone, but in order to do this i need to see where your going wrong and what your doing wrong, dont worry we all get things wrong from time to time, its a really steep learning curve learning to live with this, trust me i've been told off loads of times by others :D

Hi Jan

Hope you sort things out with your friend soon, no wonder you feel down x x

Hi Jan - how are you getting on today? hope your feeling more positive remember you are a great loser keep your chin up x

sorry brunette - not sure what you mean - is it that i didnt say it was just a day wiht friends and maybe reflected an average day?
hi there im new here and not sure if you have had a band or bypass i have had the bypass and would be happy to help you x x sarah

My 'eating after bypass' booklet from the hospital says that you should have a high protein, low fat diet. Im trying to incorporate all the food groups into a whole day by having 3 meals and 2 or three fruit snacks - seems like Im either eating or drinking all day! However what I would say is that Pizza of any description is a bad idea and you do seem to be overloading on bready type things - still its only one day that you have posted and its not for me to be judgemental - I made a chilli with lean beef last night and it was lovely until my tastebuds decided to sprinkle sugar on it (dont ask!)

Hi Jan, I wanted to offer you any support I can. I will say that I agree with SS (Richard) 100%, you need to change your diet to optimise your weight loss and general health. It won't take long eating a carb heavy diet to 1)stop weight loss, 2) start gaining and the most important one 3) malnutrition.

Try posting on the daily menu thread so you can see what you are really eating, please remember to ask if you want feedback on your food choices for the day since we tend to not comment so as not to discourage people.

http://www.minimins.com/wls-recipes-forum/74487-gastric-bypass-daily-menus.html

If you need recipe ideas, look here:
WLS Recipes Forum - MiniMins.com - Weight Loss Support Forum

and here for books:
http://www.minimins.com/surgical-we...ading-books-about-gastric-bypass-banding.html

An online food log that you can add your daily food intake to keep track of you calories, fat, carbs and protein. I found it very useful in the beginning to track my protein intake
FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal

A search of books available from Amazon, I own several of them and have found them useful
Amazon.co.uk: weight loss surgery

So, shout if you have any questions or PM me if you like.

HTH,
Nic:p

May I ask a possibly related question here please?

Apart from having too many carbs and inducing hunger...How can a bypasser get that amount of food into them?...Could the pouch be too big?

I mean, could this be a real problem for a few bypassers?...I know Alberqueque said she just had a really bad day but could it be possible for her pouch to be too big, hence the insatiable appetite?

Pre-opers need this sort of advice.

Just wondering!

~X~

Apart from having too many carbs and inducing hunger...How can a bypasser get that amount of food into them?...Could the pouch be too big?

I mean, could this be a real problem for a few bypassers?...I know Alberqueque said she just had a really bad day but could it be possible for her pouch to be too big, hence the insatiable appetite?

Just wondering!

~X~
hi not sure how to answer this one as im never hungry now but at first i was all ways hungry or so i THOUGHT i soon relised it was very old habits dieing hard because i was not eating lots i belived i was hungry i dont know if this helps x x sarah

hi not sure how to answer this one as im never hungry now but at first i was all ways hungry or so i THOUGHT i soon relised it was very old habits dieing hard because i was not eating lots i belived i was hungry i dont know if this helps x x sarah

Thank you Sarah

Ahhh so it's the head hunger and old eating habits that many of you talk about.
I can see how that could happen at the beginning so soon after leaving the old ways behind.

~X~

Just wondering!

~X~

Hi Snow Crystal

Thats a good question, the pouch does stretch a little over time, its meant to, thats why they make it so small to start, but i'd seriously doubt that alberqueque has managed to stretch hers that much this early.
If you eating slidder foods I.E foods that turn to a slurry in the your mouth like biscuits, soft cheese, chocolate, scrambled eggs etc etc, then they slide through the restriction and because they dont cause you to feel full you never get the tight feeling of restriction, thats why your able to eat more.......... The way to check this is to eat more solid foods, i.e a piece of meat or fish, it wont break down as fast and you reach restriction faster and therfore you eat less !

To seriously stretch your pouch it takes a lot of dedicated abuse.

hi snow glad that made sence to you it taks longer for your head to catch on to whats happin to your body but it does happen x x sarah

Hi Snow Crystal

Thats a good question, the pouch does stretch a little over time, its meant to, thats why they make it so small to start, but i'd seriously doubt that alberqueque has managed to stretch hers that much this early.
If you eating slidder foods I.E foods that turn to a slurry in the your mouth like biscuits, soft cheese, chocolate, scrambled eggs etc etc, then they slide through the restriction and because they dont cause you to feel full you never get the tight feeling of restriction, thats why your able to eat more.......... The way to check this is to eat more solid foods, i.e a piece of meat or fish, it wont break down as fast and you reach restriction faster and therfore you eat less !

To seriously stretch your pouch it takes a lot of dedicated abuse.

hi SS you have described that very well, it also works the same way for banders, but alot of people say they feel deprived from the lesser food intake and can fall into that trap of eating to many sloppy foods to increase the food volume intake and this is where the head hunger plays a big part with peoples food choices, its learning a happy medium with food volume with out abusing the wls rules.

liz x

Hi Snow Crystal

To seriously stretch your pouch it takes a lot of dedicated abuse.[/QUOTE

Thank you SS

So, It's fairy impossible then for the pouch to be too large in the beginning!

It's interesting about the slider foods, geez they go down easy enought without noticing on a non-bypasser...I really hope if I go through with my bypass (if I get offered one) I get dumping because I would hate to go through all that and still let the old enemies like chocolates and biscuits sabotage my future.

This comes back to getting the right psych and advice in the beginning.

I do have a different attitude now after reading posts and getting my questions answered here in this forum...I thought the bypass was 'THE' easy answer...I know now it's not easy.

I am glad I came here, and if I get my offer of a bypass I will be more informed to make the right decision...I most certainly will want all the pre-op advice I can get.

~X~

~X~

Snow, I have a friend who had the bypass a few months ago. She has lost a good amount of weight but has not been eating healthy. She is now trying to get it right so she can feel healthy. What she said to me more than once is that she was under the impression that once she had the bypass she could eat as she did before only smaller portions. She now gets how very wrong that is and it has been driven home because she has suffered some complications that are down to malnutrition. I am happy that there are threads like this so that pre-ops can see that good nutrition is so very important and chasing away the old bad habbits is a lot harder than one would think. The bypass is 'the answer' for me but the question isn't 'how to lose weight quickly and permanently?'

The question for me was 'what tool can I use to change my fat, unhealthy lifestyle into a healthy and slim one forever?'

Nic:D

Snow, I have a friend who had the bypass a few months ago. She has lost a good amount of weight but has not been eating healthy. She is now trying to get it right so she can feel healthy. What she said to me more than once is that she was under the impression that once she had the bypass she could eat as she did before only smaller portions. She now gets how very wrong that is and it has been driven home because she has suffered some complications that are down to malnutrition. I am happy that there are threads like this so that pre-ops can see that good nutrition is so very important and chasing away the old bad habbits is a lot harder than one would think. The bypass is 'the answer' for me but the question isn't 'how to lose weight quickly and permanently?'

The question for me was 'what tool can I use to change my fat, unhealthy lifestyle into a healthy and slim one forever?'

Nic:D

Thank you Nic...this is exactly how I am starting to see it all now.

I do have a much more realistic view of it all just by coming here...and although I still think it's the answer for me...the jury is still out until I get to see my providers, Consultant Surgeon and psychs.

Take Care

~X~

Can i ask another question on the lines of the previous posts - after your op and in the first 2-3mths eating you have a pureed diet/slidder food will this food at this stage give you a full reaction when eating??

Can i ask another question on the lines of the previous posts - after your op and in the first 2-3mths eating you have a pureed diet/slidder food will this food at this stage give you a full reaction when eating??

That is a good question Topsy. Most people only do puree for the first month to 2 months (I was on regular solid food by week 8). During that time you are still very swollen inside and feel fuller even when you have nothing in your pouch. But to answer your question, many people do feel 'empty' quicker and do still have 'head' hunger during the puree phase. I mistook my head hunger/empty feeling for actual hunger during this time but now realise that I wasn't really hungry yet. When you do finally do get true hunger, you will know the difference, trust me.

That stupid 'head' hunger is tricky because you have to fight it. One way to do this is when you feel it, take several sips of water. If it is true hunger you feel, the water will send a message to your brain that you are eating and the hunger will go away for a couple of minutes. If the sips of water have no effect on your hunger, then you know it is 'head' hunger and you are not physically hungry.

Hope that answers you question, just shout if it doesn't.

Nic;)

Back