• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Cannot leave country for more than 3 months post surgery???? B12 injections.

pizzaman

Century Club
I am post op (bypass) and I am being made redundant and have been planning a round the world trip for the last year, but I have just been advised by my surgeon against long term travel.

In his letter it just uses the term “long term travel” but speaking to my doctor main concern appears to be B12, saying I cannot get enough of this orally and need injections every 3 mouths so should not leave country for longer than this (no problem getting 6 month prescriptions for multivitamin + calcium).

I am trying to speak to surgeon to discuss options, but from past experience can take over 2 mouths to get to speak to surgeon or get reply to letters (at Derby). I am supposed to be going in 2 months, I have already made arrangements to rent my flat out while I am away and I am just confirming travel plans / vaccinations at the moment.

I had discussed my plans with dietician along the way and she did not see a problem, was quite a shock to get letter from surgeon (wanted move my next appoint forward a few weeks .to see him before I left on trip).

He has written to me advising me against “long term travel” and copied my doctor in on it, so there is no way I could ignore his advise even if I wanted to as would invalidate my travel insurance if I went against medical advise. This leaves me total stuck as he has just used term “long term travel” so cannot book anything till I speak to him.

Suspect I may be able to negotiate a 3 months trip, but don’t know till I speak to him. I really wanted to go for 6 months.

Anyone know if would be possible to get B12 injection abroad? My planned route is India, south east Asia, Australia, New Zealand, America back to UK. Would like to have been in south east Asia/ Australia at the 3 month point. I can be very flexible on routes/dates.

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for me, I have been working for last 20 years and get a fantastic redundancy payout. I finish work in one month and have not even been looking for new job due to this trip. Having lots of money, no job and no commitments is a rare opportunity; if I don’t do this now I will never do it.

I know I need to push hard and not take no for and answer and get to speak to surgeon ASAP, but not sure what he will say, Unless I get him to change his mind cannot go at all, will be disappointed if he say’s I cannot go for longer than 3 mouths but at least it something.

Was not away I could never leave country for more than 3 mouths after this operation….. Surly there must be options?

Big an Bouncy

My hubby has them and keeps the vials in the fridge at home,could you get them on script like hime and take them with you.You could then go to clinics and have them whereever you are.Dont know about taking meds abroard but would imagine its ok.I am 12 months out and dont need b12.If you eat well and maintain your vits you should be ok.I understand about your surgeons concern and insurance though.Maz

Raynebubble

my friend hasnt had wls but has to have b12 injections and she works for atravel company so is all over the place... when she is due a jab which is every three months... if she knows she is away her doctor gives her the bits so she can do it herself x i would speak to you doctor again x

Tray3004

Good luck Hun hope it all works out for u x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Dinda

Wow, what a fantastic attitude and opportunity! I really hope you can sort this out with your surgeon. The dietician I see said I may not need B12 injections and it depends on your baseline blood tests. Do you usually need/have these injections or is it a precautionary measure?

Sorry I've nothing constructive to add - I just really hope you get your trip!