• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Can't believe how much food I can eat now

Karen19745

Yesterday at the hospital I had 6 teaspoons of porridge and I was bloated, then for lunch I had mash, turnip & gravy mixed up and I had about 4 half fork fulls and I was bloated again. When I got home I had a few sips of a banana and strawberry smoothie and was full again.

Today I had quarter of a weetabix for breakfast. A tiny fromage frais yoghurt for dinner and I'm just about to have mash, mince, gravy & veg liquidised.

I've been sipping water and had a small fresh orange mid morning but this is so weird gonna take some getting used to, Karen x

Strange isnt it?

It's fab isn't it? Mind you most of the hospital food tasted so gross I didn't want it anyway. Can you beleive they offered me toast with jam for breakfast this morning? Good job I have a little willpower. But the muller lite yoghurt I had instead filled me up.

I thought no matter what hospital you had your op with they always insisted on at least some time on a liquid only diet, with that in mind why on earth would they offer someone toast!!

I imagine it's a really weird feeling being full on such small amounts, especially if you were anything like me pre-op and could quite easily scoff a large pizza to yourself! I can't wait to be full on so little :)

Sit back and enjoy and watch those lbs melt away!!

H x

The nurse just turned up with the breakfast list. When I explained i was on a puree diet she said yoghurt. But when it came to the puree options for the main meals I had to be careful again, because some of them were too high in fat/sugar and not suitable for bypass patients. The ward is for all sorts of surgical patients. They also bring tea/coffee around straight after the meals too which is no good for us. But we will be tempted all the time in the real world so I guess it's good practice to try and be responsible.

All bypass surgeons seem to be different when it comes to post op diets.
I spent the first day on mouth sponges, next two days on sips of water, then onto pureed food which I'll stay on for 6 weeks before going onto the soft food stage.

Very different story to mine! I only stayed in 24 hours and had clear soup and yoghurt/ice cream for my two meals. Told to stick to clear soups for 2 weeks and then slightly thicker for another couple of weeks. Glad you are doing ok though xx Been thinking about you x

Hi Michelle1964,
I had my seminar on 30th Sept 2009, the appt with nurse & dietician in Feb 2010, I saw the Surgeon Sept 2010, had endoscopy 9th Nov 2010 and got put on the list and had my operation on 20th May 2011. Hope this helps, Karen x

Back