• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

how come i can eat so much :(

tray

im starting to worry about the amount of food i can eat, when i read about the small amounts of food some of you eat, i think, god my surgeon must of left my stomach to big.
for example:
i can eat almost 3/4 of a sandwich, and a pack of low fat crisps for lunch.

and for tea, i have had a 2 egg omelette with chesse, toms,and ham, i ate 3/4 of it, i also had two tablespoons of beans, and 6 oven chips mind you when i had eaten it i was really full,
to me that seems a lot of food, so im getting worried, i also havent lost any weight in the last couple of weeks ,but i have lost a total of 7 inches over my body in the last 3 weeks..... but i really want to see the scales finally move. i am at the lowest weight i have been at in 22 years, but it seems to be stalling now ... how can i jump start my weight loss again ....... i dont want to talk to my team incase they say they want to make my stomach smaller ...lol that aint gonna happen so it will just have to stay big as im not being operated on ever again unless my life depends on it ..lol any ideas would be greatfully recieved..............

It does sound like a lot of food, have you tried having less, do you get hungry?? I know everyone's pouch is different in size but I would be careful that constantly eating to capacity may end up in a stretched pouch, and the idea is that we are always have the restriction so that it is harder for us to regain weight. Try going back to the recommended diet plan that you were given at the hospital, use a tea plate and try doing little and often rather than bigger portions....

Do you get the full feeling?? warning??

no i dont get the full feeling untill its to late and i need to be sick, but then when i think of the amount of food i used to be able to eat this is a lot smaller. well maybe im just one of the unlucky ones that the op isnt going to work for .

Tracey don't talk so daft! You have done flipping marvellous with your weight loss, compare your figures to mine and then you'll see you aint doing so bad hun!

I find some days i can eat more than on other days!

My advice to you would be next time you fancy this meal go for it but leave the oven chips off, try and eat all of the omelette before you head for the beans. Don't forget if you are hungry a little later you can have a few nuts or some other protein snack or a yoghurt and fruit! I think old habits sometimes make us put carbs on when we don't really need them...

I am queen of the stalls i think and then last week when i weighed in i'd put a whole 1lb on! How is this possible on what we can eat? Grrr!

Now don't take offence but i remember you saying how you can eat crisps etc without dumping, how often are you having a 'treat'? And that's not condemnation i found myself having a treat most days and realised i was just having it because i don't dump! Bad habits can sneak back in... Also keep the fluids up hun...

Are you doing any exercise at all now?

You really are doing fabulous but you do need to remember your body will have stalls as it fights off the Rosemary Conley in you! Keep the faith...You will get there xx

You will always eat a lot less than what you used to, but I would try and plan what your going to eat on a smaller plate, and try having that little bit less, and getting to the point where you are over full and then sick, a lot of our journey is dealing with the "Head" Stuff, whenever i dish out my meal I know before i even start that i will not empty my plate, because of the problems I have had I know when Ive had enough before its too late, but my head tells me i want to eat it all, Thankfully we have got the restriction and prevention ie, you eat it and then you are sick...... So why not try planning before hand what you are going to eat, ie, that piece of chicken a spoonful of potato a spoonful of veg, and see how you feel after?? Please dont think I am having a go I am hoping that I can help, I have a saying i heard and it inspired me, "IF YOU ALWAYS DO WHAT YOU ALWAYS DID, YOU ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU ALWAYS GOT!!" in other words if you dont change the old habits then the old results could follow.....thnakfully OUR insides are different now but we still have to be mindful of what we put in, a month ago i started panicking that I was losing too much weight so I started eating in between meals, biscuits, cakes, you name it, but hey its ok im trying to maintain.....right........wrong.... I hit an alltime low this last weekend , passing out all the time my consultant and dietician have told me I have got to eat but the right stuff, Protein, protein, protein, so I am still learning what we eat has an effect on us...

I am sorry if this came across as a lecture I get so passionate about helping folk and if I can save you from going through some of the problems that I have been through then Job done, so you are doing good, just keep focused and enjoy the ride...

HUGS TRACEY

thanks for the comments, and i have taken all the advice on board, i think a lot of mine is still the head thing , i am going to plan what i eat, and put it on a tiny plate instead of the kiddies plate i have been using,
i have joined the gym now and i walk a lot more , i dont think i drink enough still tho, i only have crisps now and then, and normally if im out and cant get anything else to eat, so i go into boots and get some shapers crisps but they made me dump yesterday, so im going to stay away from them for a while, i do find it hard to not eat the carbs , but when i do i really do try to limit, i have wrote out a meal plan, and im going to try and stick to it, it includes more fruit and veg, and maybe the odd snack a jack as a treat , i still cant stop eating the odd bit of chocolate tho, i was such a chocaholic, i would eat about 4 bars aday, but now i only have a few buttons every so often, i wish i would dump on choc so i never wanted it ........ im also going to start to weigh myself just once a week as it was really getting me down not seeing the weight comming of ..... thanks again for you support and help xxxxxx

Tracey the scales are the devils in disguise, try and stick to once a week weigh in xx

Tray I've begun to have a mini Babybel light as my mid-afternoon snack. Yummy, protein and portable? I'm going to pop one in my bag every day now, just in case.

When I need to, I snack on a mix of nuts, pumpkin seeds & dried berries which provides protein, minerals & good carbs, and fills me up. I only buy natural nuts (ie not salted or flavoured). I take some to work every day and it helps me to avoid eating unhealthy snacks.

Tracy try not to be disheartened your doing really well and your op HAS worked you look absolutely fantastic in your pic and I can see a HUGE difference.
We have been eating these foods for years and its just going to take a little while to get used to are new way of eating, good luck xxx

Tray, seriously I could of written this myself. Everything about what you have said, is happening to me right now too. I can eat a whole (largish) chicken breast 6 chips and 3/4 of a wrap. But my main downfall right now is grazing. I feel I'm constantly hungry, but I'm not sure if I actually am or not. I too am a chocholic. I've halved the number of treats in the house, but need to take this a step further and cut it again. The only thing that makes me ill is anything fried or oily. Last night I had a tin of tuna, and today I managed 2 crisps bread with half tin tuna and felt starving after I finished. Not surprisingly I've stalled the last 10 days (although have lost a few inches) but I need to get it under control now, before its too late.

x

It is nice when you can introduce "Normal foods" back into your diet, but if we dont change how we feel about food and what food is for us, then we may not get the results we want, it is ok to have the occasional treat, but if we let these old habits pull us back into their grasps we will go down the old paths we have always gone down and we know where they lead.....to Fat City!
I haven't completely got my head around it yet, but due to my body rebelling, I am having to concerntrate on getting the good stuff in, protein, calcium etc I feel that the only way to create new good habits is to do them for long enough, so in the early stages, follow the rules laid down eat the Good foods and you may find that the old habits get over written, I do think differently towards food now, I eat because I know I should not because I am hungry, but I am beginning to enjoy the food I do eat... I suppose its all a process.... and part the Journey we are all on....

Sorry I get carried away, dont feel I am lecturing, I just cant help myself
Good luck with your Journey

Ange as a successful wls person i wouldn't say you are lecturing i would say you are sharing your experience with us. And although only 3 months out i agree 100% with you. Old habits can sneak back in, for instance i had a day where i felt a bit rough and didn't want to have meat/cheese etc so thought i'd try an egg custard as it was protein but not much chewing/heavy etc. Well next day i had another egg custard, then one day i had one on the way home and then one with OH at home. Realised straight off that this was the bad old ways and knocked that straight on the head. In future if i want egg custard i'll make it with no pastry or sugar and to be honest i'm no Delia so i probably won't have it. We need to break the old habits and get new habits in. Now today i had no lunch to take to work so i stopped at Tesco and had the meal deal, you know the one but the sandwich get an OJ and pack of crisps, cost me £2. When i got to work i gave my colleague/friend the crisps immediately and shared my lovely low fat wholemeal ploughmans with my OH when he joined me for lunch. The old me would have had the lot and a chocolate bar probably, but i didn't like the old me so much so i aint following her ways anymore :)

And for the person who said about the Babybel, thank you for reminding me i used to take nuts or cheese to work to nibble and seem to have stopped this habit. Well i think i'll be starting it again very soon...

MissCharlie, i know you have little ones, but if you don't have the rubbish in you cant eat it! Get some low sugar lollies in if you fancy a treat xx

I'm going back to my eating habits i had when i first started eating. Rice cakes n nuts here i come :)

i know a lot of my problems are in my head, today i have had a good day but not been able to eat much but have had nearly 2L of water so maybe that has helped . plus going to the gym makes me feel good about what im doing so im trying not to make bad food choices.

Well Done tracey, just take it a day at a time..... and with on going support you will get there.....it is all a process, I haven't got there as such ok my weight has come off, but I still fall into bad habits, its like right now my energy levels are none exsistant, and Ive been told to eat, but because im sitting here feeling sorry for myself, its easier to just not bother, curl up and sleep, but I know in my head thats not going to help me make progress and feel better, so I am going to choose to get up off my butt soom and so something healthy to eat and move..... see we need each other for motivations so Thanks xxx

it is so true that som days you seem to be able to eat more than others.

some days i can get through a 2 egg omelette, others i will leave some of it, same with anything i eat

i have done a lot better the last couple of days, and i think thats down to uping my fluids , and also thinking more about what im eating,i could of had fish and chips from the chippy last night, as i didnt get home from work untill 8pm, but instead, i did have some of the fish but took all of the batter off, and i made some instant mash and some peas, i did feel better for not eating the chips, and then before i went to bed at 11ish, i had a tea cake with peanut butter, so fingers crossed, i will try and continue on this path of thinking before i eat, instead of just eating with out thinking,, that was a bad habit i had pre op . i would just graze all day on stuff, rather than think about good foods, but like they some habits are bloody hard to break ...
thanks again for all your support xxxx

Well done Tracey, remember it takes ages to create the bad habits so it is going to take a while to break them, but it sounds like you are doing great.......So Well done... we are all here for you!

Back