• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Carbs

Hello all :)

I was thinking about my daily intake, and i personally think that if you have a healthy diet, there is no way your diet can be more protein than carbs...

and i was wondering if anyone manages it? (without using shakes)

The only way i could do it, is to cut fruit out, as each apple is 20 odd grams of carbs, and i like to get 2 servings of fruit a day.

I know it is drilled in that protein comes first, but i dont see the harm in more carbs if i make sure my protein is still high and my cals are fine? Am i way off here?

Pretty much all my carbs come from fruit, or dairy, at most i have a small slice of ww brown bread a day. And i usualy have something like 20g of spud or pasta or rice, maybe two or three times a week?

Any thoughts?

.x.

i took carbs out but my trainer told me to put them back as i only eat around 700 calories a day - although ive been bad this week! i cant drink the p.shakes either so i just have a varied diet and seem to be doing fine :) everyone is different thou.. my dietian says my diet is fine so ill keep doing what i am at the min :D xx

Its hard to get those carbs down and thinking regarding carbs is very different in the US to here. I try to limit mine to between 40-60g per day. I don't eat much fruit for that reason. Protein for me comes from meat, eggs, protein powder (taken in yoghurts etc.) and usually exceeds 100gms per day

M

thanks guys.

my dietician told me a while ago that you need carbs to break down fats?

normally my carb intake is just a little higher than my protein, ie. if ive had 72g protein then my cabrs are 78g or a little higher...

i dont wanna give up fruit!!! lol

.x.

fruits good for u! my dieian said the same about carbs and i find my body works better with them .. when i take them away im always hungry and feel like im just picking at meat xx

Everyones correctamondo here, you do need to include carbs in your diet as they are important to a healthy balanced diet. You can however change simply carbs for complex carbs, so switch brown bread for your normal white and brown rice for white etc !
Maintaining a protein rich diet will speed up the weight lose process, less fat is absorbed from protein and it takes longer to digest which is the reason you stay fuller for longer with a heavy protein rich diet.

Reducing carbohydrates to a bare minimum when you hit a plateau is a proven technique to re start weight lose, once things start to move again re introduce carbohydrates slowly.

I used to load my plate with my food, then ensure i ate the protein items first followed by the carb items if i needed them to fill my pouch to restriction, nowdays i'm fairly accomplished at working out how much my pouch will take and only put the food on my plate i know i will be able to eat, its worked for me !

i never fel full of just protein.. i think i must be broken lol! x

if i eat only protein i get hungry again fast - if your broken, im broken lol

your full of usefull knowlage ss! ty

.x.

we will be broke together :) xx

i never fel full of just protein.. i think i must be broken lol! x

Kirsty - there may be other things stopping you from getting full to restriction, have a look at the consistancy of the food your eating, if its to lose or soggy it may be slidding, are you eating on a wet or dry pouch ? (are you drinking before a meal, eating with a dry pouch will fill it up quicker and with less food) are you eating and drinking at the same time ? .......theres a whole bunch of different factors that could be to blame, generally protein should fill us on a lot less food and keep us feeling full for longer !

i dont eat and drink at the same time and try to drink half hour before i eat.. im not sure why.. even when i did slimming world which is red day for meat green day for carbs id never feel full on a red day! i know your ment to be fuller for longer and quicker but i really dont unless i have some carbs.. thanks for the reply thou :) xx

Kirsty - there may be other things stopping you from getting full to restriction, have a look at the consistancy of the food your eating, if its to lose or soggy it may be slidding, are you eating on a wet or dry pouch ? (are you drinking before a meal, eating with a dry pouch will fill it up quicker and with less food) are you eating and drinking at the same time ? .......theres a whole bunch of different factors that could be to blame, generally protein should fill us on a lot less food and keep us feeling full for longer !

Does this mean you would benefit more by ensuring your protein source comes from "proper food" rather than a protein shake?

yep i cant drink the shake anyway they make me gip :) ive never been good at protein only .. red days on s.w or atkins i was pants at both! i try to have a varied diet now and eat as muc protein as i can :) x

Does this mean you would benefit more by ensuring your protein source comes from "proper food" rather than a protein shake?

Yes this is the case - i never used any form of protein suppliment until very recently, but instead i've always believed that i can get my daily protein from the food i eat ! i know many here advocate the use of protein suppliments daily though i was never told to use this and have lost a significant amount of weight now, as have others that have never used protein.

I do now use a protein shake but really only because i am now at goal weight and because i work out fairly hard daily i need to feed my body, the extra protein seems to make the work out easier and i feel as though i have more energy, this may be all in my head, but at the moment its working for me, i certainly never used protein as an aid to weight lose.

The only caveate to this is if your a veggie or have trouble eating a protein rich diet, then in this case i'd probably agree that a protein suppliment of some kind could be your way forward, though i'd suggest using the suplimentation only until your eating has progressed and you can gain your protein from food.

Yes this is the case - i never used any form of protein suppliment until very recently, but instead i've always believed that i can get my daily protein from the food i eat ! i know many here advocate the use of protein suppliments daily though i was never told to use this and have lost a significant amount of weight now, as have others that have never used protein.

I do now use a protein shake but really only because i am now at goal weight and because i work out fairly hard daily i need to feed my body, the extra protein seems to make the work out easier and i feel as though i have more energy, this may be all in my head, but at the moment its working for me, i certainly never used protein as an aid to weight lose.

Thanks, this makes a lot of sense. I'd envisaged supplementing with protein drinks but for some reason it hadn't registered they're a "slider" food. I think perhaps in the initial stages of liquid/sloppy food they would be very useful but once I can eat proper food I'd rather get my protein that way.

My son uses the protein shakes when he's working out a lot and in heavy training, and indeed it's something the college encourage to promote healthy muscle gain (he's in sports training) so they must do some good! :)

Thanks, this makes a lot of sense. I'd envisaged supplementing with protein drinks but for some reason it hadn't registered they're a "slider" food. I think perhaps in the initial stages of liquid/sloppy food they would be very useful but once I can eat proper food I'd rather get my protein that way.

My son uses the protein shakes when he's working out a lot and in heavy training, and indeed it's something the college encourage to promote healthy muscle gain (he's in sports training) so they must do some good! :)

I'm not sure i would consider a protein shake as a slidder food as there's probably more benefit than negatives in it, and givem most are low sugar low carb it wont be doing you any harm at all, though like yourself i agree that you should be eating a healthy balanced diet and therefore shouldn't need to use protein suppliments.

Theres loads of products out there that aid you in the gym, i use the lucozade body fuel mix while i'm running, again not sure if its in my head or not but i seem to be able to go harder and i recover better from a long run quicker. I tend to steer away from muscle building suppliments or these lean burn things you can buy as i dont think they really do much, and besides this my goal isn't to build massive muscles, i want to have a general level of fitness.

you should be eating a healthy balanced diet and therefore shouldn't need to use protein suppliments. I want to have a general level of fitness.

Hi SS,

I'm finding it extremely difficult to get the right amount of protein in - I have such conflicting advice from the dietician and the bariatric nurse it's unreal. I also play lots of sports - I play squash and racketball as well as the gym and at the moment, I am finding that my reserves of energy run out pretty damn quickly and I can be totally exhausted within an hour. I am 10 weeks post-op tomorrow.

This week before squash I ate special k cereal (15g) with 150ml protein shake for breakfast, I had half a ready meal macaroni cheese (200g) for lunch and took a small banana with me which I ate after my 2nd match. This did seem to work better as I managed 4 matches whereas last week I was totalled after 3. I figured the heavy carbs would give me more energy. Obviously I don't eat like that every day, but when I am playing squash it seems to be a good idea - what do you think?

Last week, I played racketball on monday, gym tuesday, cleaned house wednesday and slept thursday - I was totally knackered - I don't want to live like that!

Please could you give me some idea of what I can eat on a day to day basis I just don't know - and quantities would be a good thing too please. I find it really hard to get more than 50g of protein in a day.

Many thanks SS

Sam

I aim for 120G of protein a day. If i hit that everyday, i dont really focus on the number of grams of carbs I consume. I just try to keep it low. I always have my protein as the main part of every meal. So i will often have pasta, but I will put 100g of chicken (30g) of protein in with the pasta, I will make sure as I am getting full I fill up on the chicken and not the pasta, the same principle with a sunday dinner for example, my chicken or meat comes first before the veg and potatos.

In my opinion its all about balance. If you analyse every gram and calorie of what you eat, you will go insane. Strike a nice balance between high protein, low carb and low fat and the weight will drop off.

xxxxx

I'm not sure i would consider a protein shake as a slidder food as there's probably more benefit than negatives in it, and givem most are low sugar low carb it wont be doing you any harm at all, ...

Ahh, I possibly used the wrong term calling it a 'slider' food then. I was thinking due to it being liquid it would pass through and be digested much quicker than say a portion of chicken, so I imagine you wouldn't feel full for as long as you might otherwise?

It's great to be able to learn all this stuff from people who have already gone down this path, thanks very much! :D

Back