• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Catheter woes

Nuxley

Hi

I am due to have my sleeve next week and really do not want to have a catheter fitted whilst I am under anaesthetic.

This is mainly due to the following reasons:

1. I don't like anyone poking around down there (except my hubby of course!)

2. As a diabetic I am used to kidney infections and UTIs and don't want to get one post op as I will have enough to deal with already.

3. AND...I don't want anyone poking around down there!!! :mad:

What do you think guys n gals? Am I being silly? :confused:

Hi Nuxley

I had a sleeve five weeks ago and didn't have a catheter. To be honest, it didn't even cross my mind that I might have one fitted as it wasn't mentioned to me pre-op.
XX

Thanks for replying, I'm wondering if individual hospitals / surgeons have their own way of doing things. My pre op is on Friday so I'll ask if it's really necessary or if I can get by without it. How are you getting on five weeks down the line? ...

Oh no, i didnt know that was involved. Im due to have a band on 13 may, i havnt been told that id have to have a catheter. dont fancy idea myself

Just to let you know, I've had a catheter twice before, the first one was put in whilst I was awake, it was done in seconds! The second one was put in whilst I was 'under' so I didn't know anything about it. Honestly, a catheter is nothing to worry about. XX

I'm almost 6 weeks out and didn't have a catheter.......can't see a reason why anyone would routinly need one either?

hi i totaly agree its nothing to worry about and they do so many they dont have to poke round, honestly you are giving yourself worry for nothing, you wont even know its there when you come around after your op and you will be glad of it even if you only have it in a couple of hours. xxx

Dont forget when we are big its harder to get mobile post op and no one knows how we will be.You wont know anything and to be honest it was a relief for me to relax and not stress about getting out of bed for a wee!

Apart from the whole 'will I die under anaesthetic' thing, this was my main concern :eek: :D

I don't know how much 'cutting and chopping about' there is with the sleeve, but my RNY was an open procedure (it's how my PCT funds), but to be honest I was so pleased it was done as it was very difficult for me to mobilise in the first 24 hours and it was a God-send. I was out for the count when it went in and it took seconds to remove, with virtually no embarrassment at all as the nurses were so quick and adept. Try not to worry. They have your best interests in mind :)

Hi Nuxley
at chelsfield a catheter is routinely fitted during bariatric surgery for two reasons first is that after surgery you will be wired up to quite a few monitors and drips which would have to be uncoupled before you could use the loo, second they will measure the mount of urine that you pass to check kidney function.
One bit of advice i can give is when you get mobile and the phyiso`s have you up and walking about, always remember to pick up the bag connected to the catheter before walking off, you`ll only forget it the once. good luck!
Tinytim

Even if you do need a catheter -no one will be poking about up their in your husbands territory LOL! The opening where the tube goes is just inside your labia and as Lizloz says it really is a very quick and easy job for the person inserting it and you would probably be grateful when you don't have to get up to pee the first night. Good luck with your op xx

If you are a patient of mr el hasani then you will be catheterised.
Like previous posters have said its for your own benefit and used to monitor urine output for approx 24 hours then removed.
Wendy x

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

I didn't have a catheter either,to be honest when you 'come round' after the operation,you couldn't careless about anything.
Your too bothered sleeping the pain and drugs off.
Try not to worry xx

Have you looked in the mirror to see where it will go?
Its just back/down from your clitoris,the tube will be in when you wake and when its removed they usually ask you to cough for distraction really and they slide it out.Have you not had kids/many internals?Its a lot less faff than a smear,you must of had one of those.Dont worry you wont care what they do to you when it happens.I think we all tend to overthink things when its something new.Maz x

Back