• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Post Op Discomfort

Louanne79

Hi all,
Only 24 hours post op and am at home. Although I feel fine in myself, my stomach is obviously very sore from all the poking and prodding, and I'm finding getting up and down off the sofa and bending really difficult.
I know I'm probably trying to run before I can walk, but can anyone give me an idea as to how long this discomfort will last? Only have soluble paracetamol for pain, which doesn't really do much!
All info/advice appreciated.
Lou
xXx

Take the pain meds as you would in hospital,you can also have codiene only a tiny pill so goes down easy,check with your doc first though.It took a few weeks to get better but each day is better than the last!

Thanks hun xXx

Owwie Lou I remember it well.
I sat on a dinning room chair for the first week as it was less painful to get up from

Thank you xXx
Just trying to stay as mobile as possible. It's hard when you don't feel ill, but your body won't do what you want it to!

Each day is better than the last Louanne. Just remember that xx

This time next week you will feel 100% better than you do today.xx

Use lots of pillows to prop yourself up on the sofa and put another one under your left side and one on front as that seems to help. I was only given paracetamol on discharge but changed it to a paracetamol with codeine from the chemists. I made sure that I got up from the sofa and walked around the flat at least once per hour to keep myself mobile. It gave me that weird burning sensation on my side but that got less and less each day.
Have as many fluids as you can manage to avoid any kidney pain too.
I'm three weeks post op now. The first week was the worst and then I had a little back pain from holding myself so tensely I think. But now I'm only having the occasional slight dragging sensation if I stretch.
btw I was a size 28/30 pre op and yesterday I fit into a pair of size 24 jeans and that made all the pain and discomfort seem well worth it!

yorkiegal said:
Use lots of pillows to prop yourself up on the sofa and put another one under your left side and one on front as that seems to help. I was only given paracetamol on discharge but changed it to a paracetamol with codeine from the chemists. I made sure that I got up from the sofa and walked around the flat at least once per hour to keep myself mobile. It gave me that weird burning sensation on my side but that got less and less each day.
Have as many fluids as you can manage to avoid any kidney pain too.
I'm three weeks post op now. The first week was the worst and then I had a little back pain from holding myself so tensely I think. But now I'm only having the occasional slight dragging sensation if I stretch.
btw I was a size 28/30 pre op and yesterday I fit into a pair of size 24 jeans and that made all the pain and discomfort seem well worth it!

Thanks Hun! That made me feel a bit brighter!
Wind pains are annoying, and I have also been given only soluble paracetamol which don't seem to be doing much. Think I'll send Hubby off later for something stronger.
I honestly have no idea how people go through this alone - I'm sleeping in the spare room at the moment so I don't disturb the OH or cause myself any unnecessary discomfort, but I still have to shout for help to get up if I slide down the bed!
I feel fine in myself, I'm just not blessed with patience so would like to get through this more uncomfortable part ASAP!
xXx

I didn't take myself off to the spare room because i didn't have one. However i did put a pillow between me and my OH because i didn't want him draping himself over me while he was sleeping not realising what he was doing...

Apart from waking him once to help me get up, i left him to it as i wasn't sleeping brilliantly and most nights by 4 i was on the sofa watching a bit of tv....

It will get better and if the wind doesn't go try some windeze chewable or some deflatine... xx

phatmomma said:
I didn't take myself off to the spare room because i didn't have one. However i did put a pillow between me and my OH because i didn't want him draping himself over me while he was sleeping not realising what he was doing...

Apart from waking him once to help me get up, i left him to it as i wasn't sleeping brilliantly and most nights by 4 i was on the sofa watching a bit of tv....

It will get better and if the wind doesn't go try some windeze chewable or some deflatine... xx

Cheers hun. It is starting to get a bit easier - I think!!
xXx

Feeling much better this evening, discomfort seems to be easing off somewhat.
Able to get down a couple of spoons of either very wet Weetabix, yoghurt or blended rice pudding for each meal (as
my post-op diet sheet says) and getting down plenty of fluid.
Had a couple of weepy moments over the last couple of days, but feel like I'm through the other side now. Taking no painkillers at all, and keeping as mobile as possible whilst still taking it easy.

Hi Louanne, seems as though Mr Sigurdssons advice differs from what most seem to be doing. I thought it would be just liquids for a while post op, week broth etc? Glad your are feeling better tonight.

Did you have to do the milk diet or amy other liver shrinking diet prior to your op?

Take care

Maddie xx

Back