• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Charring Cross Hospiatal Procedures

tasha82

Hi guys & gals

My PCT have aproved funding and have now sent my referal to Charring Cross hospital as I wasnt too happy with the origional hospital I went too.
So I just wanted to know really if anyone else had been refered to CX, and if so what were the procedures you had to follow and what sort of waiting times did you have? Also if my PCT have already approved funding for surgery, can CX decide not to go ahead & make me do a diet for 6months before they consider surgery?

Thanks in advance.

Tasha.x

Hi :)
I had my surgery in Charing Cross - I'm not sure from what point you'll have to start, i.e. whether you'll have to attend a group session, in which case, they tell you you can expect to wait around 9-12 months, or if they'll forward you a bit. I was referred in May 2010, had my group session in September 2010, my second appointment was booked for May 2011 but I kept on calling every day till I found a cancellation in October - I saw the coordinator in October, the Surgeon in January, had my Pre-op end of Feb, and my op on March 5th :)

Thanks Zara.
I think I will need to attend a group session,9is that the one where they tell you about the ops & wait times etc?)
So they didnt make you do a weight management course first then? My BMI is 53, so im hoping to god that they dont ask me to do one!!! also did the nurse not get annoyed with you keep calling for a cancellation? I have been calling the last few days to make sure they have recieved my referal & mabe book into the next avalible group session & she seems to be getting really shirty and just said..when we get your referal it will be looked at by a doctor and we will write to you with an appointment!!!

Thanks Zara.
I think I will need to attend a group session,9is that the one where they tell you about the ops & wait times etc?)
So they didnt make you do a weight management course first then? My BMI is 53, so im hoping to god that they dont ask me to do one!!! also did the nurse not get annoyed with you keep calling for a cancellation? I have been calling the last few days to make sure they have recieved my referal & mabe book into the next avalible group session & she seems to be getting really shirty and just said..when we get your referal it will be looked at by a doctor and we will write to you with an appointment!!!

Yep - they give you all the options - both surgical and non-surgical. They have the psychiatrist there to talk about some issues, and some post-op patients to speak about their experience. At the end of the session, you're asked what you want to do, and a note is made.
You can CHOOSE to do a course, but they don't force it on you as far as I know :)
Are you calling outpatient appointments or the weight clinic? The weight clinic is really busy, so they can get a bit "shirty", but outpatient appointments are fine. Stay polite, they don't generally mind :)
The weight clinic arranges for the appointments, but outpatient appointment are the ones who book them and can re-arrange them, so call them :)

thanks for the advice. I was calling the weight dept, Debbie I think. Sorry to keep asking you questions, but was it just the main out patients dept you called? As i think next week i will start bugging them!!!;-)

thanks for the advice. I was calling the weight dept, Debbie I think. Sorry to keep asking you questions, but was it just the main out patients dept you called? As i think next week i will start bugging them!!!;-)

You need to call main outpatients, the number's 0203 313 5000 :)
And no problems, I had soo many questions pre-op too :) If you have any more, feel free to ask/PM me.

Good luck hun x

Thanks ever so much I really appreciate it. I see you have done really well so far, good luck with the rest of your journey. Im sure im going to have loads more questions so you will prob be hearing from me again soon!!!!!xx

Hi guys & gals

My PCT have aproved funding and have now sent my referal to Charring Cross hospital as I wasnt too happy with the origional hospital I went too.
So I just wanted to know really if anyone else had been refered to CX, and if so what were the procedures you had to follow and what sort of waiting times did you have? Also if my PCT have already approved funding for surgery, can CX decide not to go ahead & make me do a diet for 6months before they consider surgery?

Thanks in advance.

Tasha.x

So you did decide to change! Honestly, CX was amazing!
I was referred in Dec, had group session in Jan and we were told that there was a 12-18mth waiting time from there to the next appointment so was pretty disappointed but was sooo surprised when I got next appt for Feb and had all blood tests, psych & doc meeting all on one day. Next appt was april and I met the surgeon and given the go ahead, and signed all the consent forms etc and was told would be 6-8wks from then to the op!!!! :D Had pre op in may and told that because I had been doing the pre op diet for 3wks already I would be given the next available date. Then, initially had a date for 3rd june but had a phone call saying someone hadnt confirmed so did I want to do the previous wk. HELL YES!!!! lol

All in all it has been such a quick and excellent process and I cant believe I am already 10wks out and 65lb down! Amazing.

Hope yours go as well as mine did hun and remember to email or pm me if you fancy meeting up at any point!

You need to call main outpatients, the number's 0203 313 5000 :)
And no problems, I had soo many questions pre-op too :) If you have any more, feel free to ask/PM me.

Good luck hun x

Didn't know there was someone else from CX!!! Hi lol

Hello from another Charing Cross patient. The others have already said everything so I'll just say that you will be in the best hands there. Waiting times between appointments may be longer now from what I understand but there is no harm in chasing them for a cancellation.

Good luck and please fire away or PM me if you have any more questions.

:)

Thanks ladies I appreciate all the advice. I hope its not too long, but wouldnt have thought it would be anywhere near the orig hospital wait times of at least 18mnths, but more like 2 - 2 1/2 years.
and no doubt sooner rather than later I will be asking you all loads more questions!!
Thanks.xx

Hi

I had my op at charring cross tbh mine was a fairly long process in comparison to others but that is because cx are very thorough in what they do.

I was referred by my Docters in April 2010, I went to my seminar where they discuss all options available to you and you meet the the team.

I decided at this point to have the sleeve, I was told my 1st appointment would be about 6 weeks from then.

I got my appointment with my consultant for august who recommended that I needed to do a sleep test and endeoscopy ( worse experience of my life) lol which is what I had to wait quite a while for.

I done my sleep test in the September was all good.

I also saw the pschyatrist ( sorry for dodgy spelling) who said I was 44 not 34 in my notes not impressed it's bad enough when my bf winds me up telling me I'm middle aged lol I to which I reply I'm not middle aged I'm a 30 something much prefer .

Sorry just digressed back to what I was explaining.

I eventually after a trip to the hospital in both October and January (waisted app) I eventually had the yogurt of an endeoscopy in April this year ready to go back to cx in may.

I then saw my surgeon in the July who confirmed that the Docters had reviewed my case and all good to go.

I had my pre op assessment on 17th august this year!

I started my pre op on 29th august lost 10lbs and had my op 9th September day after my birthday what a great birthday pressie.?

And now 7 weeks post op I am 2pm short of losing 5st so all good.

Dr Ahmed is one of the best in the country along with his team you will be in good hands!

Good luck with your surgery keep us updated x

Jojo xx?

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Back