• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Timelines... some guidance please

Slimmingnix

Hi everyone,

Now that I have started this wls journey, I want everything to happen immediately!

I have been very fortunate to get NHS funding. (The PCT I am in requires funding approval first, then referal to a hospital.)
I have been refered to St Georges, which based on what I have read, could take up to two years to op stage!
I have rung C&W - I like C&W as I have already been to a support group and liked the service, the vibe etc. Everyone was so happy with their surgery etc. The C&W website is also so helpful. There is nothing that I can find on the St G website.)

The procedure appears to be:

- you have a first general appointment (up to 12 weeks from referal)
- Two weeks after you will start a series of appointments with dietians, phycologists etc. These appointments can be weeks apart too.
- they then "clear" you for referal to meet with a surgeon/consultant. This too could take a couple of weeks.
- Presuming the consultant is satisfied that you may continue, you will be placed on a waiting list. The length of this could vary depending on the consultants committments and the type of op. The average is waiting time is circa 6 months

This all sounds forever..and that is based on the norm. If there are any problems/hick-ups during this process it would take even longer!

Anybody have a contact number for the specific department (WLS) at St Georges?

Can anyone offer some advice? Maybe I just need to calm down and relax... and be grateful that I started the journey when I did!

Sorry about the long waffle!

SNx

Hi Slimminnix :)

I am afraid you will be waiting a bit longer than 6 months at St Georges, you 1st go to a group meeting approx a couple of months after being referred, then its about a year later you get an appointment with bariatric team and dietician. I am now at the stage where i have to be approved by MDT and them put on waiting list (wiating list a further 18 - 26 weeks approx).. I am sorry to burst your bubble:( ... The only way to get it done quicker is being referred to another hospital with lower waiting time ..:sigh:

Good luck

Nicky xx

If there is one thing I have learnt by doing this journey it is never try to estimate how long it will take and when your next appointment will be as you will be so disheartened if there is a delay and unfortunately there usually is!

Thank you Nicky and Louisa, your feedback is really appreciated.
Nicky, can I ask, why did your doc referal to PCT funding take a year? Mine took 4 weeks. Also, any idea how often they (St G) have group meetings?
Louisa, thank you, I have to learn to appreciate that these things take sooo long!

SNx

Hi
I am having my bypass at C&W. I had my first appointment in July 2011 and have my bypass on the 2nd April, you do not get your surgery appointment until you go the their "getting ready for surgery" group and have a psych consultation and all your other tests that you have to have. It's worth it you get to meet people who have had surgery and see how they got on. It really is worthwhile, I thought it would be rubbish but it really does help. They did offer me an appointment in March but I couldn't take it- prior commitments the staff there have been really nice and I know I chose the best hospital me. It also helps that I live a 5 minutes drive away. Any questions you have they always answer and on clinic days I know other patients have been able to go in and see some one without an appointment. Hope this helps you decide.

Hi SNx

Unfortunately for me my doctor didnt fill out form correctly 1st time, then i had to do over 6 months with local hospital dietician before i was given funding.. I think only one hospital in Kent does bariatric surgery so we tend to get send to London, i did have a choice of hospitals and probably if i had chosen any other than St Georges i would have had surgery by now, but have stuck with St Georges as logistically its ok to drive to and i wanted my surgeon...

I think St Georges have a group meeting every month, i dont go as it is too difficult to get there for 5pm, but a few people from this group do go..

Take care

Nicky xx

Back