• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Wolverhampton - Weight Loss Surgery Advice Pls

MissPurple

Hi All,

I've been an occassional lurker around here for some time but this it my first proper post.

I'm feeling really anxious and becoming increasingly impatient (I went to my GP a year ago) as time goes on and wondered if anyone out there has any advice or information.

I'm in Wolverhampton, West Midlands and approached my GP a year ago expressing my plea of referral for Weight Loss Surgery. He refered me to the Dietetics department at New Cross Hospital, Wolverhampton.

They referred me to the Diabetes centre also at New Cross Hospital (I am not diabetic although I have a muscle wasting disease which is affected and worsened by me being overweight). So May 15th 2009, there I saw a consultant who said he would refer to the PCT for funding of Weight Loss Surgery.

Now I'm feeling in limbo, I have heard nothing about a decision as to whether I have been accepted for wls.

• Shall I phone up and chase?
  • Who do I call, the Diabetes clinic or the PCT?
  • If I'm accepted by the PCT will it be Wolverhampton New Cross who do the operation?
  • How long is it likely to take after approval to get the Op?
  • Has anyone else in the Wolverhampton area had to go through this same process at New Cross?
Any advice would be most appreciated,
Thank you.

Hi misspurple, i too am from good ole woollyhampton too. I dont know in all honesty how it works from the route you've been sent on as i went through my GP. All i can say is my referral went off mid-July and i should have had appt towards the back end of August but i was lucky they were trying to fill a clinic so i went this Monday gone! After discussing options and medical conditions etc they told me they'd see me in 4 months and then i'd have two appt's and surgery. In all they reckoned it would take 6 months.

The surgery is done at Walsall Manor Hospital. I personally would try and contact the consultant who said he'd apply for your funding, sometimes they forget to do things they've promised. Also go back to your GP, he should have a copy of what happened at your hospital appointments so if it comes to it he can see the consultant said you need wls and send in the referral i should have thought.

Anyway i'm fairly new on here but i'm sure a font of all knowledge will be along shortly, be patient you'll get the help you need.

Hi Julie,

My GP seems pretty useless from what I can gather, I originally found the consultant Mr Khan at Walsall Manor last year and his secretary told me my GP could refer me directly to him. My GP seemed to think this was not possible and tried sending me on this goose chase!

I mean, referring me to a diabetes clinic when I haven't even got diabetes is beyond me. I just feel like I'm sitting around waiting and don't know if anything is actually happening and have been doing so for the past year. It's ridiculous!

I think I'm going to have to start going back to the beginning and shouting at my GP.

Thanks for the reply, hope things go well for you. Did your GP just send a referral direct to the Weight Loss Surgeon at Walsall Manor then?

I wish I still lived in Walsall now, that way it would have been the Manor all along!

Hi Miss Purple. Welcome to Minimins.

Go back to your GP hun, tell him you want a referral directly to Mr Khan at Walsall Manor for weight loss surgery. If he is in doubt about the criteria refer him to www.BOSPA.org.uk but from the stats you have put you will fit the criteria no probs.

Good luck with your journey hun. xx

It's sad that GP's in today's time are still ignorant of the process.

As someone above said go back to your GP, tell him what went on and that he can refer you straight to the bariatric team which i believe is led by Mr Khan at WM...

Good luck and let us know how you get on...

I'm in WV10 by the way, anywhere near you (ps without giving too much address out lol)

Right - Plan of Action!

Tomorrow I begin to kick ass!

I'm going to join another GP surgery, this isn't the first thing my Doc has messed me about with, I don't feel as though I'm getting the service I should be, the opening hours are inconvenient and I'm just generally not happy.

I'm going to call the diabetes clinic at New Cross and insist I find out what is happening, if nothing, I might see if something like the Patient Liason Service can help cause this is just unacceptable.

When see new doc for initial appointment, I'm going to go through everything with them and see if they have any suggestions.

miss purple i'm from east park area, but live in willenhall now. i'm also at the start of this very long journey, i've just been referred to walsall manor, god knows who i'm going to see though. it's a waiting game x

Chase your gp and the dieticians first before you do something which means you start the journey all over again.. PALS is a excellent route to go down..

I'm not far from MacDonalds off the Cannock Road.........

Mom's over W/field way....

Let me know how you get on, i pm'd you btw lol

Hi Miss purple and :welcome2:to minis. I hope you get the answers you need from the many lovely minis here.

Actually i'm a very big large Gaynor!

Oh and by the way when are you going to change your name? you are never going to gain again (weight i mean lol) xx :p:D

Chase your gp and the dieticians first before you do something which means you start the journey all over again.. PALS is a excellent route to go down..

I'm not far from MacDonalds off the Cannock Road.........

Mom's over W/field way....

Let me know how you get on, i pm'd you btw lol
Hi Julie,

I think something must be wrong with my settings or something cause when I try going to my pm's it says I'm not authorised????

Well, I called the secretary of the diabetes consultant I saw and she said that it has been put to the PCT for a decision and if I haven't heard anything in a few weeks then to call her back. She also said that once the approval letter comes through from the PCT then I'll get a referral to Mr Khan at Walsall!

SO, it seems like I might be almost there. What has really pissed me off though is that my doctor could have done the referral directly to Mr Khan a year ago, without sending me off chasing geese!

Oh well, fingers crossed that the PCT come up trumps and I get my referral very soon.

That Maccy D's ain't far from me at all.

Thanks Julie,Sarah and Gaynor for your support and listening to me rant :)

With any luck I'm be joining the Walsall massive soon!

Hi Julie,

I think something must be wrong with my settings or something cause when I try going to my pm's it says I'm not authorised????

Well, I called the secretary of the diabetes consultant I saw and she said that it has been put to the PCT for a decision and if I haven't heard anything in a few weeks then to call her back. She also said that once the approval letter comes through from the PCT then I'll get a referral to Mr Khan at Walsall!

SO, it seems like I might be almost there. What has really pissed me off though is that my doctor could have done the referral directly to Mr Khan a year ago, without sending me off chasing geese!

Oh well, fingers crossed that the PCT come up trumps and I get my referral very soon.

That Maccy D's ain't far from me at all.

Thanks Julie,Sarah and Gaynor for your support and listening to me rant :)

With any luck I'm be joining the Walsall massive soon!

It might be you haven't posted enough yet to get into pm's. Sorry i never thought of that, get posting girl...

I hope you get the news you want...

Do you do facebook? If so please add me my email is [email protected]

Back