• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Chewing Gum...

StephieAck

I know Ive changed!
...are we post-op bypassers allowed it? Sugar free obviously.
I know that chewing gum fools your stomach into thinking it is getting food and so it makes more gastric juices and as a bypasser trying NOT to do that I am taking it that chewing gum is simply a no no.
Am I right?
Steph xx

Ive had chewing gum lots of times since the op Stephie and been absolutely fine.

Me too Steph with no problems xx

I heard it was a definite no for bypassers. Something to do with saliva an juices n small pouch etc etc.... Am sure someone more experienced and knowledgeable will be along shortly xx

See now thats the thing, I am sure that plenty do eat it with seemingly no problems but there is a lot of advice out there not to eat it. Ill take on board all advice but I think I might just leave it for now and then ask my team when I next see them.
Thanks for the replies xx
Steph xx

I eat it quite often:D

See now thats the thing, I am sure that plenty do eat it with seemingly no problems but there is a lot of advice out there not to eat it. Ill take on board all advice but I think I might just leave it for now and then ask my team when I next see them.
Thanks for the replies xx
Steph xx

Ive never seen any advice not to eat it Steph. Could you tell me where you have seen this please because if there is a medical reason why we shouldnt have it then I will stop.

I'm aware that it can stimulate the production of gastric juices, but dont see how that can do us any harm.

I googled it and some say about the gastric juices production but most say that if you were to mistakingly swallow it then it could cause problems like Gemma said. I know that most people dont swallow it but we all know that there are times when you can accidentally swallow it and it just isnt worth the risk.
Im more scared about stirring up stomach juices and causing problems when Im on antacids daily to stop them being made.
Ill leave it for now, I only have a passing interest in it to be honest and seeing the issues my mum has with ulcers etc then Im not risking it.
Steph xx

i have to admit i have had gum a few times lol

I can't eat it.

It gives me terrible tummy ache.

I miss gum!

xxx

I've switched from gum to sugar free polo's.

I hadn't been told anything about gum but really glad I read this. At the mo my tummy is still too gurgly and I thought gum might add to that but I would have tried it eventually...never thought about what could happen if I swallowed it by accident. Will now avoid it big time!

Thanks guys

Back