• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help! just swallowed my chewing gum and panicking

amanda577

I was chewing a piece of sugar free gum and accidentally swallowed it... Now I am really worried that it will block the opening of my pouch or something. Any ideas would be gratefully received please... Dont know whether to phone a doctor or what!!!

I was advised no gum. I would ring up.

thanks yvessa!! I was also advised no chewing gum, but they said if I had to have it that i must be really careful not to swallow it, as it can block the pouch.. Ive phoned NHS direct and they said they will get a nurse to phone me back.. I just feel so absolutely stupid for swallowing it....

good luck mate x

thanks caren... still waiting for nhs direct to call me back...

what did they say? x

Hi Amanda how did you get on, guna have to give it a miss then from now on its easy done. xx Hope you ok xx

Good morning everyone!! Well NHS direct finally got a nurse to phone me at 3.30am and she only basically told me what I already knew. Which was chewing gum should be avoided and if it was stuck would have to be removed via endoscopy, but if I could keep fluids down then more than likely it was fine, which I could so panic over. But big lesson learnt here though!!! I will not ignore the rules again. I was warned by my team about chewing gum, and chose to ignore it, as it has helped me so much since I gave up smoking back in Feb, but it certainly wasnt worth all the worry of last night.. From now on will follow the rules to the letter. Will try the smints though Yvessa!! xxx

amanda577 said:
Good morning everyone!! Well NHS direct finally got a nurse to phone me at 3.30am and she only basically told me what I already knew. Which was chewing gum should be avoided and if it was stuck would have to be removed via endoscopy, but if I could keep fluids down then more than likely it was fine, which I could so panic over. But big lesson learnt here though!!! I will not ignore the rules again. I was warned by my team about chewing gum, and chose to ignore it, as it has helped me so much since I gave up smoking back in Feb, but it certainly wasnt worth all the worry of last night.. From now on will follow the rules to the letter. Will try the smints though Yvessa!! xxx

I could have wrote this myself! As I did the same when I had surgery 2 years ago.
I swallowed some gum as after the op without thinking.
I wouldn't mind but I was never a gum person but my breath after the op was rank so thought I'd have a little.
All day I panicked...but survived..lol
You'll know if your blocked as you won't be able to drink or eat and feel pain in chest area.
I learnt not to ever have gum after that!

Thanks guys!! I had a sleepless night of worry, and don't want to do that again. It just proves how important it is to listen to your team and not think that you know better, or "it won't happen to you" I'm sure I've got away with it as no pain and fluids are going down fine, but could've so easily ended up in A&E being subjected to an endoscopy because of my stupidity.

yep totally agree Yvessa!! But lesson learnt xxxx

Sometimes we do things without thinking thats how we got fat in the first place, said no and the food was in the hand and then the mouth, easy done but more difficult to recytify. Hope you guna be ok, we only human xx

Thanks chrisa!! I feel fine and I've eaten and drunk and no problems, so a very lucky escape I would say xxxx

Glad it worked through & your ok. Won't say told told you so as that's not helpful & as you say you were warned & have learnt the hard way by giving yourself a fright. Low sugar or sugar free mints or diabetic sweets are a good way to freshen breath or give you the chance to distract from cigarette cravings or most other craving habits & as long as not eaten to excess are safe for your pouch, to many and the sugar substitutes can trigger & upset tum because that's what they do nowt to do with our pouches sensitivity.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

You should've said "Told you so"!! As you actually warned me about this ages ago when I said to you about chewing gum..... Well certainly won't be chewing anymore, I've beaten the nicotine addiction so I'm just going to have to beat the gum addiction also...... xxxx

Back