• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Chinese take away advise !

I am 9 weeks post bypass and am going to a friends at the weekend for a girls night which involves a Chinese takeaway.

Can any of you give me any advise about what I can choose to eat that is low (ish) in fat. I can tolerate sugar quite well but dump on anything high fat. Really don't want to be poorly with a lot of other people there some of which I do not know.

Advise gratefully received :)

I am 9 weeks post bypass and am going to a friends at the weekend for a girls night which involves a Chinese takeaway. Can any of you give me any advise about what I can choose to eat that is low (ish) in fat. I can tolerate sugar quite well but dump on anything high fat. Really don't want to be poorly with a lot of other people there some of which I do not know. Advise gratefully received :)

If I'm honest at 9 weeks post bypass I wouldn't have had any Chinese food at all. It contains so many hidden sugars and fat you can literally dump on anything. I'd go for something quite plain and safe, like chicken and mushrooms with one or two chips. Hope this helps a little :)

Made me really doubt even going now - so do not want to dump there ! Was going to be the only one not drinking and now looks like I will be the only one not eating either !!! :(

Does the restaurant do English meals too? You know, things like steak or chicken? You'd be able to eat those. Have a look to see if they have a menu online that you could check out before you go :)

I don't like chinese food so on the rare occasion I got dragged to one they always had omelettes on the menu would that be any good for you, or ring up in advance and explain (you can say you have an intolerance to fats/sugars if you don't want to mention your surgery) and ask they what they recommend, they may well do you something just for you :)

Agree with Paula here. Chinese meals are so hit and miss as regards how sweet/fatty they are and at this stage you are at your most susceptible. However I find I'm ok with chicken with bamboo shoots and cashews as long as I forgo the sauce that comes with it. Where we go doesn't prepare it batter or crumb & it's not fried. I barely manage a third of it and it's a waste but I enjoy the treat regardless. Not sure how you get around the accompaniment for it as I just sneak spoonful off hubby's plate and that's enough. Lay off prawn crackers and anything that is sticky or fatty. Have the soup as a starter ;). Important thing is don't push yourself to eat more than you need and don't drink along with it. To be honest when in a large group people don't really notice what you are eating anyway ;) so go and enjoy yourself hun.
The first time eating out with friends family is always a bit of a "gulp" moment Xx

Thanks femfrankie - good tips there and as you said in a large group no one is really going to notice what I am eating ! Will let you know on Sunday how I got on :)

I'm pre bypass but love Chinese. It would be a shame to miss out but yes it is high fat and full of sugar. Perhaps the following is worth looking at the ingredients??!!
Chicken noodle soup.
Won ton soup.
Grilled dumplings.
Chicken with ginger and garlic.
Egg rice.
Satay chicken or king prawns.
Starters may have more suitable choices.

Treat yourself to some traditional Chinese teas and enjoy some good coffee as an alternative to booze and soft drinks.

Most of all relax (I find this helps with a lapband) and enjoy being with friends.

Don't forget to update us on your night ;-))

Victoria x

Thanks Victoria - been looking at menu and with all your help/comments I do now have some choices I think ! And yes you are right I do need to just relax, stop stressing and enjoy the evening :)

Perfectly natural to be wary hun. I still do a reconnaissance of whatever restaurant we are in to establish where the loos are just in case. I have only needed to use them once and that was because I didn't heed my own advice that I gave you earlier ... One more mouthful surely won't hurt :eek:.

not a bypasser but my best friends husband owns a chinese takeaway (the best one of course!LOL) and I got him to give me the low down before on what they use to cook.

I stick to soup, boiled rice, chicken with mixed veg or anything in a blackbean sauce (barely any sugar or fat used). steer clear of BBQ and Sweet and sour sauces, curries or chop suey as these have a higher sugar content.

Most of all enjoy your evening. Since having my band I have actually been out and barely eaten but people do not notice as they are too busy enjoying their own food to worry about what I am eating!

Well ladies I am pleased to report that I am home from evening with friends and I ate the said Chinese takeaway and was not poorly !

I opted to just have king prawns in a ginger and spring onion sauce - it was delicious and I was fine on it.

Even had a cheeky slither of New York cheesecake for afters.

I took round some nice still sugar free flavoured water too and had a very enjoyable evening.

Thanks for all your advise and help - much appreciated :)

Back