• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre Op diet - day 1...any advise?

On a mission

I joined minimins over a year ago struggling with weight and 18 months on I have a date for my gastric band fitting :) Im so happy I could burst.

I am very greatful that I was considered at the tender age of 23 :D and just because I am young doesnt mean that I havnt tried everything avaliable.

So Day 1 of the milk diet commences. Does anyone have any tips/advise about ignoring the hunger moans, family meals, going out, other people eating etc and how to try and make the diet more interesting?

I know they vary and mine consists of:
- 3 pints of milk a day
- 2 portions of fruit a day
- 2 low fat yoghurts a day
- 1 portion of veg a day
- Unlimited sugar free jelly
- Unlimited sugar free cordial

Any help much appriciated, I dont know anyone personally whose been through WL Surgery so advise would be golden, thanks all :cool:

When you're feeling peckish drink lots of water. THis will fill you up.

I find a coffee made with milk helps fill you up. Try and keep busy too. I try and save as much as I can for later in the day/night as thats when I get hungry more. I save my oxo drink and my banana and apple if I can :D X Good Luckx
p.s. how long do you have to do it??

My pre-op diet was a little different but was still tough and for 10 days. I found once I got through day 3 it was easier. And then day 9 was a toughie too.

All I can advise is stick with it. You're doing it for the best possible reward and it will be sooooooo worth it.

Good luck :D

Thanks guys, I do get hungry later on in the day and try to save my 'snacks' for then. Im day 12 into it and stupid me is doing it for 3 weeks and 2 days....only 12 days to go yay! Half way through.

mmmmm oxo drink, wish I could have that. Im craving a different taste, tuna, anything.

The end date is the only thing thats keeping me on track.

Thanks again all :)

Your doing great! I remember my half way day ....... I thought well if Ive got this far I can do the rest! Good luck x

Metoo

I joined minimins over a year ago struggling with weight and 18 months on I have a date for my gastric band fitting :) Im so happy I could burst.

I am very greatful that I was considered at the tender age of 23 :D and just because I am young doesnt mean that I havnt tried everything avaliable.

So Day 1 of the milk diet commences. Does anyone have any tips/advise about ignoring the hunger moans, family meals, going out, other people eating etc and how to try and make the diet more interesting?

I know they vary and mine consists of:
- 3 pints of milk a day
- 2 portions of fruit a day
- 2 low fat yoghurts a day
- 1 portion of veg a day
- Unlimited sugar free jelly
- Unlimited sugar free cordial

Any help much appriciated, I dont know anyone personally whose been through WL Surgery so advise would be golden, thanks all :cool:

I there, I am also just starting my milk diet today. You get to have a lot more than I do. I must have more to lose than you...*LOL*

I get 4 pints of milk, 3-4 tsp of bovil, and surgarfree jelly and gum...and unlimited water...(yeah)

I have done the cambridge diet previously, so I know what to expect...but maybe you and I can support each other?

I will be writing some info about myself and my goals shortly, it has been a while since I have been on here.

If not, good lucky, just take it a bit at a time, and make sure you try and drink water too...( if you can manage it)

Sound advise from DC & Mixman...I had my original op date cancelled & put back by 2 wks so I've ended up on the liver-shrinking diet for a month...I'm sure I won't actually have any liver left by the time I eventually get my op done, lol! All I can add to that is just keep an internal chant going to remind yourself why you are doing it.....and go to bed early if you can...time seems to go by a bit quicker! xxx

Well done to you, you sound like your coping well...i am dreading the pre op diet..i have no self control..so how will i cope!

This milk diet is a B****!! thats all I can add.

Mine is:-

4 pints semi skimmed milk
2 pints other fluids
1 bovil drink
at least 2lt of water
tea coffee

extras

1 sugar free jelly
gum x3

I had the diet sheet four weeks pree op and managed 2 days, I was advised that I needed to do a minimum of 14 days so Im starting it agaiin today as I did the last 2 weeks on low calorie versioin, which at least allows some food to chew.

It's bloody hard and I'm already eying up my toes thinking that they look mighty tasty!

yep... it's gonna be a rough 17 days, no two ways about it, but like you I figure I'll just have to focus on the "Prize" at the end a safe and successful bypass that will improve the quality of my life... god willing.

maybe we can keep each other motivated and focussed... or stave together.

good luck

im on same diet for 4 weeks,if 5per cnt of weight lost i get to see the surgeon and then get a date for surgery and a 2wk milk diet again pre op. its day 6 and i cld eat a horse between 2 pieces of bread

Good luck with your pre-op! Hope you will join us on the banders threads and we can answer any questions etc!
I had a low fat / low carb diet for my pre-op.
It's not for too long ..best advice is find some stuff to keep you occupied and brush teeth with really strong mouth wash after, as well as the sugar free gum..sugar free lollipops...loads of icey water and looking at all the clothes you want to wear when you get to your goal weight xxxx
The threads I am on about are under my signature, please come check them out xxx

Kelly - you will cope as if you remind yourself that this is the only way forward for a safe and uncomplicated operation that is quite a focus. I sooooo wanted my op to be as straightforward as possible everytime I thought about putting any other food in my mouth I imagined my huge liver flopping about in the way of the camera and instruments needed for my surgery - then waking up and being told I could not have it done. How awful would that be?:eek::eek:

That spurred me on . . and I ticked off each day on the calendar a bit like kids do in the run up to Christmas!!!!!:D

Back