• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

co codamol

starr

very happy post opper
hi, just a quick question,,,,i know we have to avoid certain painkillers after gastric bypass but does anyone know if its ok to take co codamol? i asked my nurse but shes unsure , will ask doc next time i see him , but was hoping someone might have the answer , xxxxxx

hi, just a quick question,,,,i know we have to avoid certain painkillers after gastric bypass but does anyone know if its ok to take co codamol? i asked my nurse but shes unsure , will ask doc next time i see him , but was hoping someone might have the answer , xxxxxx

I asked my doctor & she said it was fine but not to take anti inflamatories such as Ibuprofen & I have had them a couple of times & was fine xx :)

I'm on 400 mg of tramdol a day this is question I've got ask on my pre op on 8th dec it a worry can't cope with pain without it Plus meds for cholesterol and being a diabetic

i didn't know there was a restriction on pain killers i suppose we have to be careful of ones with coedine as they can make you constipated, but then co codamol has it in so maybe not xx

Mecca123 said:
I'm on 400 mg of tramdol a day this is question I've got ask on my pre op on 8th dec it a worry can't cope with pain without it Plus meds for cholesterol and being a diabetic

I used to take 6 tramodol a day since op don't take a thing now. Took one a few weeks ago to try and numb toothache and reacted badly with them so be careful afterwards.

Only issue with it is as some have said the codeine can cause constipation, so it might be an idea to ask your GP for some Movicol to have on standby just in case. Trust me an impacted faecal load is nobody's idea of fun.

yep its fine its inflammatory like ibuprofen, asprin and voltrol that you have to avoid. i get paracetamol and codeine separate from my dr. if the paracetamol isnt strong enough i can then take the codeine as well but if you are on something stronger to begin with there is nothing to top up with.

Are you able to take tramadol after the op just I can't take anything else x

I take tramadol daily and have no problems. I can't take codeine any more though, I'm now allergic to it (as well as penicillin), as a result of the bypass. But I also have fibromyalgia which affects how your body responds to medication.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Why can't you take Ibuprofen? I have a really strong gag reflex and the round sugar coated ibuprofen are the easiest ones for me to swallow. I haven't found any paracetamol that is that shape.

Because NSAIDs in any form cause ulcers and affect the stomach lining. Post bypass you have all these new manufactured joins, which are very susceptible to ulceration. Even ibuprofen suppositories and gel have a bad effect on the tummy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

NSAIDs None Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs as Shellbell said cause damage to your stomach lining and your stomach capacity post op is much smaller too which compounds the problem. Even NSAID patches stuck on the outside of your body will eventually damage your stomach lining. Some doctors will prescribe them post op in extreme cases most will not.

Back