• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anti-Depressants and Weight Loss Surgery

EighteenStoneGirl

Quick question for anyone that takes anti-depressants or medication.

Did you ask for the liquid/chewable version of your meds or did you stick with the hard capsules?
I weaned myself off Fluoxetine in the weeks prior to my op, but feel like I need it again. I asked a few nurse friends and they say as the capsules pretty much break down the second they hit the gut, it should be fine to take (for now) it might be difficult after fills however.

So does anybody still take their regular old pills as normal?

I think they only do it in liquid form (& it's v.expensive so u'd need sympathetic GP) I'm not sure about post fill restriction chick, I'm sure sum1 will b along shortly to advise

I have no problems taking tablets and I have 10.5 mils in my 14 mil band

I don't struggle with pills either - sometimes break them if they're big, but not had any problems.

Hope you're feeling better soon x

I was taking the same meds, the doctor gave me liquid prozac a week before my op, my god its vile, so Ive come off it all together after two weeks because I could not stomach the taste of it, I've been off it four months now, been taking it for 10 years. I have to say that It is only now that I am realising that I really need to go back on it because it is getting to the stage again that I don't want to go out and not interested in anything, so a trip back to the GP, but this time I am going back onto the capsules and staying on them.

Go talk to your GP they are very understanding and won't hesitate to prescribe you the liquid version. x

Hi Donna44,

I totally sympathise, I haven't had my surgery yet but I was on Citalipram for 10 year and came off it 6 months ago. All seemed well and I started to think I never really needed it and then out of no where a major depressive episode hit me. Walked into the Drs surgery that morning and just collapsed in tears. 1 month down the line I'm back settled on the tablets and feeling relatively normal again. Its amazing how much difference a little pill can make isn't it.

Not looking forward to the liquid version I'll have to take after surgery but after reading all the comments hopefully it won't be to long before I can go back on tablets.

Ginny x

Hello...I've been on anti depressants for over 20 years! I'm on seratine..the tablets are small enough to swallow with out getting stuck. I'm a bypasser...the hope is as self esteem and confidence rise, the dose will go down...I'm on 100mg. The advise I git from my team was if a tablet is smaller than a biro end it will bok. If its bigger cut the tablet in two...my gp didchange one of my antihistamines to children's liquid syrup but I dumpon that so have gone back to tablets.

I'm going back to the GP tomorrow, need to feel normal again! My surgeon said that most people who have weight loss surgery come off anti depressants, I think we all do but we are back on them again within a few months! X

Yep I know that feeling. Was off them for three years and just gone back on them 11 days ago :sigh:

First day back on them, hopefully they will kick in soon, I should know better than to come off them.:sigh:

Its nice not to feel so down :) keep positive x

Thanks ladies. Managed to get the liquid version of Fluoxetine from my Doctor as I've been told after the fills I may struggle to keep the tablets down (even though I am currently managing).

I'd love to come off them completely one day but have a sinking feeling I never will sadly, depression runs in my family, big or small.

No problems here swallowing/taking mediciation. X

Back