• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

CO-MORBIDITIES

BlueDiamond

Hello there

i know u can have surgery with a lower bmi (35) with co-morbidities. Where can i find a list of what they are? I looked on the bospa website and didn't find it much help....if anyone can point me in the right direction or give me any info, it would be gratefully received.

All the best - mejulie xx ;)

I think co-morbidities are type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, history of either of these or heart probs, basically anything that could mean you could die from cos of your weight. Sorry that's the best way I can put it.

TY E1...........I FOUND INFORMATION WHICH GAVE ME MORE INFORMATION THEN THE BOSPA ONE. I WILL PUT IT ON HERE INCASE ANYONE ELSE WISHES TO KNOW THE INFORMATION ALL THE BEST -MEJULIE

Comorbidities that Factor into Bariatric Surgery Eligibility

Comorbidities are medical conditions that exist in addition to obesity and are often a result of being overweight. Comorbidities are a factor in determining a patient's eligibility for bariatric surgery.

• Type 2 diabetes mellitus - metabolic disorder resulting from the body's inability to produce enough, or to properly use, insulin

• Obstructive sleep apnea - when a child stops breathing during periods of sleep

• Pseudotumor cerebri - increased pressure in the brain which causes chronic headaches and eye problems

• Hypertension - higher than normal pressure inside the arteries

• Dyslipidemias - abnormal concentrations of lipids in the blood

• Non-alcoholic steatohepatitis - fatty inflammation of the liver that is not caused by alcohol damage

• Venous stasis disease - faulty veins that allow blood to collect in the lower legs

• Significant impairment in activities of daily living

• Intertriginous soft tissue infections - infections in excess folds of skin that are caused by obesity

• Stress urinary incontinence - involuntary leakage of urine caused by increased abdominal pressure from excessive body fat

• Gastroesophageal reflux disease - a digestive disorder that is caused by gastric acid flowing from the stomach into the esophagus

• Weight-related arthropathies (joint diseases) which impair physical activity

• Obesity-related psychosocial stress

Lucile Packard Foundation for Children’s Health | Stanford University School of Medicine | Stanford Hospital & Clinics

Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital
725 Welch Road | Palo Alto, California 94304 | (650) 497-8000
Contact Us

Copyright 2009 Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use & Patient Privacy Policy

TY E1...........I FOUND INFORMATION WHICH GAVE ME MORE INFORMATION THEN THE BOSPA ONE. I WILL PUT IT ON HERE INCASE ANYONE ELSE WISHES TO KNOW THE INFORMATION ALL THE BEST -MEJULIE Comorbidities that Factor into Bariatric Surgery Eligibility

Comorbidities are medical conditions that exist in addition to obesity and are often a result of being overweight. Comorbidities are a factor in determining a patient's eligibility for bariatric surgery.

• Type 2 diabetes mellitus - metabolic disorder resulting from the body's inability to produce enough, or to properly use, insulin
  • Obstructive sleep apnea - when a child stops breathing during periods of sleep
  • Pseudotumor cerebri - increased pressure in the brain which causes chronic headaches and eye problems
  • Hypertension - higher than normal pressure inside the arteries
  • Dyslipidemias - abnormal concentrations of lipids in the blood
  • Non-alcoholic steatohepatitis - fatty inflammation of the liver that is not caused by alcohol damage
  • Venous stasis disease - faulty veins that allow blood to collect in the lower legs
  • Significant impairment in activities of daily living
  • Intertriginous soft tissue infections - infections in excess folds of skin that are caused by obesity
  • Stress urinary incontinence - involuntary leakage of urine caused by increased abdominal pressure from excessive body fat
  • Gastroesophageal reflux disease - a digestive disorder that is caused by gastric acid flowing from the stomach into the esophagus
  • Weight-related arthropathies (joint diseases) which impair physical activity
  • Obesity-related psychosocial stress

http://www.lpch.org/forPatientsVisitors/MedicalRecords/patientPrivacy.html

I've got 8 conditions out of the 14 listed.:eek::cry:

There are others aswell, I got through funding on co-morbids and I don't have any of those ;)

Good information Blue i'm sure it will be helpful to others who may be in this situation - thank you for posting it

There was a big long list posted a while back, I'm sure someone will hunt it out and post it ;)

That be good if someone can do that shelly.............it seems some websites and information sheets list all different comorbidities, i would like to go in armed when i get my appointment for the hospital, i was informed yesterday i get automatic funding so the only thing that is stopping me now would be the hospital, so as much information i can find out and take with me too fight me corner (so to speak) would go in my favour.

All the best - mejulie xx

Back