• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

been to doctors could`nt go nhs anyway!

twinklyhb

hi ive been back to the doctors today and i cant get surgery on nhs " nice guidelines" the doctor was lovely but said my bmi was to low and i have no co morbidities even though my family history is terrible, he even agreed that i was trying to avoid getting the problems that are weight related etc... so private it is, but he is wondering if i could go privately with mr small (sunderland) and then be one of his nhs patients afterwards for aftercare etc . hes gonna try and find out for me otherwise wls group in preston it is !!:)

hi katherine i rang them but i would need to go to liverpool for my fills and appointments a bit far for me cos i cant drive so i would have to get my husband to take me all of the time thanks though !! heather

i dont know if mr small would do a private op then do the aftercare nhs, have you looked into the prices and aftercare packages he offeres ? what is your bmi if thats ok to ask ?

liz x

hi liz im between 37.5 and 38 bmi. but he is at spire washington bout 2miles away from me their prices are £7,250 only 2 fills included plus £200.00 first consultation fees more expensive than most ! so if you could then switch to his nhs patient then it might b worth it but if not i dont think it is heather

i will try and find out what i can for you heather.

hi heather sorry its not good news ive just spoken to mr smalls dietician, and the same rules apply with private banding that he cant band a patient with a bmi of under 40 unless there is any co morbilities as he still has to follow the NICE guidlines also with private patients. she said they would have to find something wrong with you to be able to go ahead and operate under these guidelines, i didnt get to ask about nhs aftercare after a private op, it looks like your best option will be to have a consultation with him or a surgeon of your choice so they can discuss your situation with you personally. she also stated you still need a letter of referal from the gp for private banding as well.

Last edited:
Heather sorry to hear about your disappointment I hope you manage to find a surgeon who will fit the band, but if Liz is saying they too have to follow NICE guidelines for private pts. then it may be tricky
Agree with Liz best option is to make an appt to speak to a surgeon on any other choices you may have

Good Luck Jay xx

the only other option i can think of is to go abroad for surgery as she said all uk surgeons need to follow the guidlines here in the uk.

wls group are quite happy to band me as well i can go for consultation 4th of june and have surgery 18th of july if i want thanks for looking though liz xxh

hi ive been back to the doctors today and i cant get surgery on nhs " nice guidelines" the doctor was lovely but said my bmi was to low and i have no co morbidities even though my family history is terrible, he even agreed that i was trying to avoid getting the problems that are weight related etc... so private it is, but he is wondering if i could go privately with mr small (sunderland) and then be one of his nhs patients afterwards for aftercare etc . hes gonna try and find out for me otherwise wls group in preston it is !!:)

Sorry to that you cant have the op with the NHS. Do not give up. I was also refused the op on the NHS due to cut backs on funding in my area. I went to Brussels to have my band fitted last friday. The cost was a lot less expensive than the uk, the only prob is that the price dose not include fills, but I still found the price was better value. If you would like any more info just ask. Mandy x

wls group are quite happy to band me as well i can go for consultation 4th of june and have surgery 18th of july if i want thanks for looking though liz xxh

thats great news then, you will soon be joining us loosers shortly xx

I know i'm throwing a cat amongst the pidgeons here but I live in Preston and WLS at D'urton Lane does not have avery good reputation. Don't know if you read about Colin Hendry's wife ending up in intensive care after cosmetic procedures, but that was at the same clinic. I considered going there but I spoke to Marcus Landauer who told me they were a clinic NOT a hospital and they did not have the facilities for such major procedures. This could have been sales patter from him, but it put me off cos its not the first time i'd been warned off x x x

Really sorry to be down on it but i'd feel awful not to pass it on x x x

Good luck whatever u decide x x x

I know i'm throwing a cat amongst the pidgeons here but I live in Preston and WLS at D'urton Lane does not have avery good reputation. Don't know if you read about Colin Hendry's wife ending up in intensive care after cosmetic procedures, but that was at the same clinic. I considered going there but I spoke to Marcus Landauer who told me they were a clinic NOT a hospital and they did not have the facilities for such major procedures. This could have been sales patter from him, but it put me off cos its not the first time i'd been warned off x x x

Really sorry to be down on it but i'd feel awful not to pass it on x x x

Good luck whatever u decide x x x

I had my band fitted there and they certainly seemed to have the facilities there.

The nurses told me that they do cosmetic procedures there but not in conjunction with the WLS Group. The hospital is privately owned and WLS Group just use the facilities.

Maz

I'm sure there are many success stories, I just felt bad not to mention what i'd heard cos on here people are trying to make major decisions and i didn't feel right having this info and not mentioning it. I really battled with myself as to wheather to mention it, hope I haven't upset anyone, it wasn't my intention x x x

Back