• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Coming on you Losers, speak to me!!!

What are the success rate of weight watchers , slimming world and lighter life ? From my experience a lot less then 50 percent but we still spend millions each year joining , at the end of the day the band work for some and for others not , you get out what you put in , but to be fair with girly girl, if I remember rightly you have had problems with your band from the start regarding these spasms which I know can be painful and are quite rare so you may have too have yours removed, but had u not had this problem would the band have worked for you or not ? Who knows lets not lose sight of the fact that we are all here for help and too support each other :) xx

I too love my band, and would never have lost this much weight without it! My nurse who does the band fills has said, my band isn't working at 100% yet, so i've lost this with a lot of willpower!
If you like naughty foods now, you will still like naughty foods with your band, it's a choice you have to make! The band will limit portion size not your cravings!
You should be prepared to have good weight loss, and no weight loss, I personally suffered with this.
I have a 10ml band with 6ml in, I certainly have some restriction.
As everyone above has said, you get back what yo put in!
There are plenty of success stories on here, do more research and dont be afraid to ask anyone on here anything you want to know about having a band. We have all been in your shoes, and made it to the other side, so dont be shy!!
Good luck on your weight loss journey!!
xx

Tomorrow I will be 6 weeks post op and I totally love love love my band and wish I'd done it years ago. I too went with thg at Dolan park and they were amazing x

I am not opposed to any type of WLS; rather as I have said elsewhere I am alarmed and angered by the poor level of aftercare reported in too many cases.

I decided to 'google' banding outcomes, in particular, because several 'banders' here are currently experiencing serious complications, and, despite weeks and months of pleading (unsuccessfully) for help, are now wondering what became of the top-class aftercare they were promised. I feel for them. as do many others, and I try to offer what little support I can.

Tracking down statistics takes time and patience, not least because most online medical journals demand a subscription fee. The 50% band failure figure came up more than once so I thought was worth a mention. If you disagree with that figure, google the subject, yourself. In the course of your research you will come across many upsetting patient histories. Time and again poor or non-existent aftercare is listed as a major factor in unsuccessful outcomes.

I am not anti-WLS; rather, I am totally pro-patient. I would rather not have added to this debate on this particular thread but it is here that I was questioned!

Why do you feel qualified to comment in this way, when what you are posting are merely opinions gained from a 'google' search.

The person who started this thread is going to be having major surgery to try and lose weight.

Other people whose threads you have posted these kind of comments on have already had their operations. They have asked for help and support from people who have also had surgery and this is the place for that. They really don't need failure rates - again from google quoting because you feel its worth a mention. How on earth do you think that helps or contributes in any way?!

Yes not all cases will result in a succesful loss of 100% of excess weight but we have taken a pretty drastic step to try and achieve that. We like to support rather than tell someone who feels they are struggling "well what do you expect?" we have all been there done that, heard that.

The only people who need to feel alarmed by the level of aftercare are those on the receiving (or not) end of it.

Best to referer to the wlsurgery.com forum rules, and remember

18. Use good judgement. NEVER rely on information or opinions exchanged via the forums or chat rooms to replace necessary, personal consultation(s) with qualified health or medical professionals to meet your individual health or medical needs. Remember that what's right or has worked for one person may not be what's right for you.
20. No posts of an overtly political or religious nature OR posts promoting advocacy of particular personal, medical, legal, religious, political, or non-profit causes. The forums are intended for offering mutual personal support. Debating controversial subjects should be taken elsewhere.

Lots of statistics are available on the intranet, not just the 50% one... one of the 50% stats I read about came from historic data and such a small sample size, I question it's validity. No mention of being able to google some great success rates too by the poster :confused: if we are going to debate, let's have balance :sigh: lets leave this "debate" here and regain focus and remember that first and foremost, we are here to support one another and the most helpful way to do that is offer positive, constructive advice :)

What are the success rate of weight watchers , slimming world and lighter life ? From my experience a lot less then 50 percent but we still spend millions each year joining , at the end of the day the band work for some and for others not , you get out what you put in , but to be fair with girly girl, if I remember rightly you have had problems with your band from the start regarding these spasms which I know can be painful and are quite rare so you may have too have yours removed, but had u not had this problem would the band have worked for you or not ? Who knows lets not lose sight of the fact that we are all here for help and too support each other :) xx

The Official figures quote a 95% failure rate for all the normal diets, so even if the bad had a 50% rate, which I doubt then it would still be miles better than diets alone wouldn't it.

Also don't forget that most of the available online data is very old and compiled from very old out of date records.

If you was to look at the success rate for bypass surgery from 10 or so years ago you would be horrified over the number of deaths, now days its a very safe procedure with a very low morbidity rate.

Paul

Hi there liquidgold i had my band in august with the THG and am very very happy. I did alot of reading around the subject beforehand so felt that i was well prepared for what was ahead. i havent lost a huge amount of weight yet because i havent got full restriction but bit by bit im changing my lifestyle for the better.
No invasive procedure is without risks however i think being overweight is more risky in terms of health. x x

liquidgold said:
I'm booked in to have my band on 15th November, starving as only on Cambridge for my pre op diet and all I have read for days are negative threads.

Bands not working, no weight lose, wish they hadn't had it done.

Can the banders that are happy, PLEASE speak to me.

Hi Hun I had a band fitted a week ago I lost a stone and half on pre op diet and half stone this week first couple of days was horrid the wind was painful but bearable I had a few things that went wrong nothing to do with band but this the best thing I ever did as someone said before it put ur head in the right place I'm still in liquid so I have no restrictions yet I had a 4ml fill when it was fitted but I'm not hungry just doing what I'm told at moment good luck to u xx

Girlygirl never seems to answer the question as to whether she has had surgery or not, as I have recently had a band (10th October) I find her comments very upsetting and wish she'd butt out! Seems to have a very big chip on her shoulder!

good luck :D im having mine fitted in jan

xx

I am 3 1/2 years post - lost 6 stone plus. I have had a year where I have not thought about losing any more weight and have maintained my weight loss. Yes I am sick sometimes but that is mainly because I have eaten too quickly or not chewed properly. I am about to start back on the straight and narrow path again and once again start to exercise and plan what I eat. I LOVE MY BAND. No it's not always easy but I don't remember anyone saying it would be. I still have a way to go and as I said before yes I'm sick sometimes, yes sometimes the band hurts particularly when I've eaten something I'm not used to but hey ive lost weight and can maintain it too....... I have proved that to myself. I would have the band done again in a heartbeat. Hope that helps some.

Liquidgold - we met at the last Heartlands support group so you know how successful the band (in combination with attending WW) has been for me. I'm down 12½ stone, with just 3 and a bit to go. 6 stone of that has been in the last year since my band was fitted. So yes, the band was the best decision I've ever made. I'm sure you'll do just as well and look forward to charting your progress. I hope your pre-op diet is going well. It will all be worth it!

I too had my band with THG at Dolan Park and cannot fault my experience there at all. My dietician and nurse who does the fills have both been great. Thankfully everything has gone well, but I have done exactly what I was told to do.
Wish I had done this years ago as its just what I needed, something to limit what I can eat, and something that makes me eat slowly! I am making good food choices, and even when I don't, I can only eat a little of a bad choice!
Good luck with your surgery, stock up on windeze or deflatine for wind pain relief for after the op(though you may not get it). We look forward to hearing how you get on.
Lilypersian
xx

I had almost forgotten the heavy and unfair criticism levelled at me here, and the comments that only just stopped short of publicly labelling me a liar. My 'crime'? I quoted a 50% band failure rate as one that I had frequently seen mentioned when researching online. Far from lying, I was telling the whole truth!

Weeks ago I took the time to compile a shed-load of very credible, respectable 'evidence' to back-up that 50% figure. I had bookmarked only a few of the sites researched one week previously because I did not expect to be attacked for posting honest, truthful, easily-checked information.

I spent a long evening retracing my online 'steps' and the next day forwarded to Wobbly71 and others the resulting (two) A4-sized pages-worth of links to medical journals, surgical journals, hospital and clinic patient follow-up study data, medical publishers, etc. I added details of current lawsuits filed against the Allergan company (they make the 'adjustable lap-band TM*) for outright lying, false advertising, scandalous post-op patient care, etc. Allergan have, this year, following intense ongoing scrutiny carried out by the US FDA - Food and Drug Administration - announced that they will shortly close down the WLS side of their business.

I also include a recent post on another support site - where frankness is encouraged - by a UK 'bander' who intends to sue TGH. Her exact post describing suffering and neglect, and a link to the 'THG Complaints' thread in which it appears, makes for uncomfortable reading. She writes from her NHS emergency band removal bed; Her NHS Consultant, she states, told her straight out, and I quote, that 'gastric banding has a 50% failure rate'. He added that, consequently, his group no longer offers banding, instead they favour the gastric sleeve.

I would much rather have ignored the mud slung at me, but readers will appreciate that, like it or not, I had to defend myself against accusations of untruthfulness/lying. One's reputation is all and once lost can be very difficult to restore. I am always polite, respectful, and honest, even in the face of personal insults. I never allow myself to be dragged into online cat-fights or mutual slagging matches. They achieve nothing. Rather I choose to present - as demanded! - irrefutable proof to back-up any figure I may quote. Wobbly71 was gracious enough to thank me privately for the trouble I'd taken. I did not receive, nor did I ask for, an apology - but I would have been justified in requesting one, had I felt the need to.

It is post-oppers suffering complications - following any type of WLS procedure - who need the most help and support, not those enjoying excellent results. As is illustrated by so many posts here, things can and do go wrong - sometimes very wrong - and kicking sufferers when they are down by labelling them negative, and stating outright that by sharing their pain and fear they are showing 'a poor example to pre-ops' is, to my mind, downright cruel. This kind of response cannot be described as 'showing support'.

If anyone here, 'bander' or otherwise, pre-or post-op, would like a copy of gastric banding failure rate links, PM me in strictest confidence and I'll forward the list. Bear in mind that this extensive body of proof, every single example of which quotes the 50% failure figure, is a mere fraction of what is available. I worked in medical research for five years, in the days where computers were not routinely available at work, far less at home. We had to check every single claim and reference, one by one, from hard copy journals, magazines and other industry publications. Many medical journals are subscription-only; I can no longer afford to subscribe, but I know where to access many highly-respected, still free professional resources.

Choosing WLS takes courage. It is not possible to make an informed choice if pre-ops are denied the truth. The average 'band failure' quote I found during my research, as offered by WLS providers and promotional sites, was a lowly (and falsely reassuring) 1-2%. Sorry, but this figure is incorrect - and the providers know it.

Girlygirl, in the interest of balance, it would be good to know if you have you conducted similar research into all weightloss procedures that you would like to share?

I am certain no one would want you to accuse you of lying or make you feel you have to justify yourself ... Clearly this is an emotive topic and everyone is going to have differening opinions. Many of us do not have the "benefit of your experience/research" and are just speaking from our own personal experience (good or bad) and we are entitled to our say just as much as you are yours.

However, this thread if continued in such an emotive vain could be removed by the forum super moderator as we are arriving at a flaming/trolling situation and that's against the forum rules. If anyone is interested in pursuing this discussion further with Girlygirl, perhaps private messaging would avoid risking breaking forum rules.

Back