• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Companion after surgery

suzirida

Hi a quick question. Has there been anybody who hasn't had someone stay with them after surgery? For whatever reason.

Thanks, take care.

I'm not too worried about it. I've asked friends but no one can do it, annoying as I know if the shoe was on the other foot I'd be there in a heartbeat but if they cant then they cant I guess.
I'm not expecting to be able to just go back to what I was doing before, I know I need to take things slow, just wondered if anyone else was in the same boat and had managed.

I was totally ok after surgery .. I had a band fitted so not as invasive as other surgeries on here ..
As long as you totally do as you're advised to do then you will be ok .. I stayed in bed for nearly a week , took it extremely easy and listened to what the docs had adviced ..

I live my myself but was fine did all the house work, prep mini meals and stocked the fridge so didn't need any help but it was there if I needed it

I was gonna say you can do almost anything after op ...
Obviously no lifting or anything strenuous...
You will Just fill tired
Even making a cup of tea wore me out I made a flask in the end and kept it by my chair lol --- xx

I'm not on my own but I wouldn't have been able to keep my folks away. I would have needed someone to empty the cat litter trays as I cannot bend down. Yesterday I struggled to put my knickers on and I struggled to wash my bits yesterday and mum had to wash my hair but apart from that I can dress myself. Am sure the stagf in hospital would have helped me wash my hair but i was too anxious to get home. Tomorrow I'm going to attempt to have a shower on my own.

It's lovely mum and dad being here and they've been out twice today so we can have space from each other. Tomorrow is my dad's birthday and he thinks we are going out for some fresh air. We are not because my brother is taking him out for lunch but we will go to the park and sit on a bench. I couldn't walk it, I like on top of a massive hill so wherever I go, it's uphill on the way back.

I don't know when I'll be able to drive again though to really gain back my independence

Im so pleased you posted this! Its such a valid point. I live on my own...no family, And no close friends to help out (as i have pretty much been a recluse, with having social phobia)
I voiced my concerns to my gp, she mentioned social services, to get a temporary carer in. (I may have to pay, she said....which i find ok)
The thing is....i may be ok...i may not be...theres no way of me predicting how i will be. I don't require a carer under normal circumstances.
My concerns are stuff like ..laundry...housework...having a bath :0bathtime:.Or just if i have a funny turn, and collapse. Think this was one of the reasons i backed out of surgery in the past. Although...im not backing out this time!
My flat is on a ground floor, which helps. Il sort something out nearer the time. Suppose the healthier i try and become beforehand, will better my chance of coping afterwards.
Toni :) x

I have to say post op I felt great no pain or discomfort just tired, because I did some pre work before there was less for me to worry about just getting dressed and getting an actimel out the fridge was enough !just had leggings and top a shower after a couple of days as I needed to keep the wounds dry and clean so a strip wash is just fine the best advise I can give is sort out the house/shopping /washing before and life should be a little easier for you ,or at least it was for me

I have to say post op I felt great no pain or discomfort just tired, because I did some pre work before there was less for me to worry about just getting dressed and getting an actimel out the fridge was enough !just had leggings and top a shower after a couple of days as I needed to keep the wounds dry and clean so a strip wash is just fine the best advise I can give is sort out the house/shopping /washing before and life should be a little easier for you ,or at least it was for me

My thinking exactly, thank you all for your replies.

Im so pleased you posted this! Its such a valid point. I live on my own...no family, And no close friends to help out (as i have pretty much been a recluse, with having social phobia)
I voiced my concerns to my gp, she mentioned social services, to get a temporary carer in. (I may have to pay, she said....which i find ok)
The thing is....i may be ok...i may not be...theres no way of me predicting how i will be. I don't require a carer under normal circumstances.
My concerns are stuff like ..laundry...housework...having a bath :0bathtime:.Or just if i have a funny turn, and collapse. Think this was one of the reasons i backed out of surgery in the past. Although...im not backing out this time!
My flat is on a ground floor, which helps. Il sort something out nearer the time. Suppose the healthier i try and become beforehand, will better my chance of coping afterwards.
Toni :) x

I am in a similar situation, with no family near or willing and limited friends, at least ones that are available, who are either not out at work all day because they are self-employed, more disabled than me, or too far away. I enquired about Social Services as I have had experience of past operations where it was a real struggle for the first week, and was told there was a START re-enablement team. Normally they are contacted once you are in hospital (bad experience previously as the message never got through and no one materialised when I got home) so someone has given me the number. It is also worth checking out what voluntary sector 'home from hospital' schemes are available, where a volunteer can pop in once a week to do light tasks or fetch presciptions etc.

If you can afford to pay then there are various agencies out there who offer care/cleaning on a temporary basis to suit your needs. Suggest you do some Googling.

I will have prepared lots in advance anyway and at least for the first two weeks I won't have to think much about preparing food. The laundry is my tough one as I am a bit OCD about clean clothes and bedding and although I have a cleaner once a week so little housework to do, I am hate people doing my washing, so will have to suck that one up! Also the emotional support that someone cares enough to find out how i am doing. I do have a good neighbour and one very good friend who is going to be my transport and visitor hopefully, but neighbour who is my cat sitter is going in on Tuesday for a knee op so will be out of action for about a month, and as I am near the top of the list it could clash. :( I am not ground floor, so more of a challenge...

Back