• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Complications relating to bougie size?

Samsara

Hello :) For anyone out there that has been unfortunate enough to have complications post sleeve surgery :( I was wondering if it had anything to do with the bougie size used? :confused: Therefore, my question is, if you have had any complications what was your bougie size and what were the complications? I asked my surgeon what he would be using and was told 34f was his standard and I know the differences between sizes are very minimal but I have also read if you go too small this can cause problems. Thank you very muchly x x :eek:

(And I'm also interested to know what size people had anyway - without complications :))

Sorry to sound thick but what's a bougie? Lol

Copied; VSG BOUGIE SIZES

A BOUGIE (boo-ghee)...

IS NOT THE SIZE OF YOUR NEW STOMACH!!

The word bougie means "candle" in French. "F or FR/Fr" following a bougie size=French

Its just a guide that the surgeon uses to butt the stapler up against, when forming your VSG. The closer s/he gets to the guide the 'tighter' /truer to guide the sleeve is. During surgery the bougie is inserted into your mouth down your throat, towards the end of yer stomach where it meets the pylorus via an esophagheal dilator. After the new stomach is formed, the bougie/guide is removed out of your mouth, possibly why some VSGrs complain of a sore throat post op.

Some surgeons will use an endoscope or other "guide" to size ones new stomach. I read an OH post of a VSGr who's surgeon explained an endoscope is the same size as a 32F bougie...Im not sure.

Bougie size determination is between YOU and YOUR surgeon. Discuss size, rationale for size chosen, type bougie and technique used when sizing your new stomach........ PRE-OP!!

A bougie is 1/3 mm PER french. i.e to calculate ~ inches 40F bougie 1/3 x 40 = 13.33mm convert to inches = ~.52 inches or ~1/2 inch in diameter.

Below are diameters of bougie/ "guides" in inches

32F = .40"

34F = .425"

36F = .45"

38F = .476"

40F = .5"

46F = .576"

60F = .75"

Doc h likes to use 36fr bougie as the small sizes can mean more pressure whuch means a greater chance of leakage. I feel that a 36fr is Fine for me.

Id be intrigued to find out how big mine originally was.. added to list of qs for next consultation! thank you ladies x

36f, no complications. I too read that the smaller the bougie the higher the complications. I am happy with my size :)

The surgeon who operated on me, Mr Sufi, only uses 36F.

The "amazing" Dr Alvarez from Mexico who is having pioneering trailblazing success with the sleeve uses a 32f *and* overstitches -- but due to the very very narrow bougie size he chooses to use, the chance of leakage is much higher, so using his overstitching technique then reduces the risk of leakage on the very particular type of operations he chooses to perform.

The majority of surgeons do NOT overstitch -- this is normal -- and on a 36F sized sleeve should not require any overstitching (or so was explained to me by Mr Sufi many months ago).

Also it depends on how tightly the surgeon makes a sleeve. One may use a smaller bougie and use the bougie as a loose guide, stapling further away from it, another may staple right next to it So bougie size isnt an exact predictor of sleeve size anyway.

I haven't got a clue what size mine was! love to know though :) x

Last edited:
Thats my bra size too, lol!!!:D

I wish I was an F lol I've been stuck in a H for years now, hoping an F will be only a few stone away LOL Even when i am skinny I'm a DD lol.

Of course, no problem. Might be a couple of weeks at next appointment but will ask. Whether they give the answer is another thing.

Back