• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Vertical sleeve gastrectomy

jdforeman

I don't see anyone talking about the vertical sleeve gastrectomy or "sleeve" procedure on this site. Am I the only one who's had it? I chose it over the lap band or bypass for several reasons and am so very glad I did when I hear about the problems so many people have had with the other two procedures. I'm a year post-op and haven't had any complications. I can eat or drink anything I want in small amounts. The procedure still isn't being done by many surgeons in the US. I had mine done by Dr. Alberto Aceves at the Mexicali Bariatric Center for 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of a lap band in the US. I tried for years to get several insurance plans to cover the cost of my WLS. Because I was a former RN and hospital/healthcare administrator, I thought I could figure out an angle to secure coverage but was never successful. I cannot recommend Dr. Aceves, his staff, the staff of Hospital Almater and the procedure highly enough. I was back in Mexicali at the end of July with my sister who had her sleeve done by Dr. Aceves. I weighed 243.5 lbs and wore a size 22-24 before surgery. I'm now 155 lbs and wear a size 8-10. I'm still losing at the rate of 1 to 1-1/2 lbs/week. My goal is 135 lbs. My only regret is that I didn't know about this affordable option and have my surgery years ago.

There are several who have had that done on here jd I am sure someone will be along soon to talk with you about it

Jay xx

Hi JD and welcome to minimins! Congrats on you weigh loss success so far. This forum is mostly populated by Brits and the sleeve is less common in the UK but there are some posters with sleeves running around hopefully they will stop by. I see that you are in Portland, I moved to England for grad school 3 years ago but I am an American and lived in Southern Oregon (Ashland, Medford, Grants Pass) for 6 years and have family there. Small world, huh? Hope you can get the support you are after, we are a friendly bunch and love to chat. Get stuck in as they say here, or jump in the water is fine!

Nic:D

Phatgirl is right - the sleeve isn't very common here in the UK yet, but is gaining popularity since I had mine in 2007 when it was very rare to have it as a "stand-alone" op (which is what I hoped mine would be). In fact, just before I found your post, I had myself posted this on a thread called "band or bypass"

"I had the sleeve done in May 2007. I wanted a bypass originally but that was unsuitable for me because I had gastric ulcers. I saw the sleeve as a sort of "permanent band" with no need for ongoing fills and unfills, no chewing meat until it's liquid etc. After the op you are left with about 20% of the stomach that you originally had and very few hunger pangs (the bit of the stomach that makes the hunger hormone is removed). They have also cut away the portion of stomach that stretches most easily, so you don't have that worry as I think you do with the bypass. Basically your new sleeve stomach is about the size of a large sausage, and after 2 years, maybe the size of a large banana - then that should be it. I went on to have the 2nd part (switch) in May this year and my surgeon took a look at my sleeve while he was in there and said it was still nice and small.
So yes, it's a good op in many ways as an alternative to the band, but if you do want to go on and have part 2 it becomes probably the most expensive wls surgery."

It's 6 weeks today since I have the sleeve op :D

Early days but the weigh in, after 4 weeks, I had lost 54.5lbs
WOW! Good for you! Great results! Dr. Alberto Aceves also did my sister's sleeve three weeks ago and she's lost over 30 lbs! Wonderful!

Hi JD Im booked in to have a sleeve gastrectomy on 19th Aug :eek:

so this time next week I will be in hospital !

hope my results are as good as yours !
Good for you! My sister had her sleeve surgery 3 weeks ago and has already lost over 30 lbs! I hope you love it and your results as much as I do!

hi flibber.. can you tell me what is (part 2) i am waiting on a decision from my consultant, don't have much confidence in him, he seemed too wrapped up in his success rate than explaining the sleeve procedure to me. Homerton Hospital. London. Mr. Mannur ( i know..) and andrew jenkins are the team.

hi

hi flibber.. can you tell me what is (part 2) i am waiting on a decision from my consultant, don't have much confidence in him, he seemed too wrapped up in his success rate than explaining the sleeve procedure to me. Homerton Hospital. London. Mr. Mannur ( i know..) and andrew jenkins are the team.
#

Hi im also waiting 4 decision on sleeve at homerton im with mr mannur how long u been waiting x

Back